School supplies for Santiago

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So I got a link on Facebook to a school being built by some expats for girls in La Vega, they will start the school this year I believe. It is an all girls school and is open to anyone. I went through all of the pictures, some of the poorest areas I have seen so far. I was very interested in getting involved with this school.
Anyway, since I am going in November to Santiago I sent them 2 messages on Facebook about bringing school supplies, what they may need, etc and left my email address. No answer, no reply post. So I entered their blog and left another message and again left my email address....no reply.
My fellow nurses are already bringing me supplies to take, I have a small box worth so far. I will not chase after charities.

If anyone knows of a public school or even just 1 family in Santiago where I can take these supplies in November, I would appreciate it. If you know of a family I would prefer that because it may only be a suitcase full. You can post here or send me a PM with how many kids, ages, grades, and sex.
Thank you.....

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Moderator can close this if you want to....I will PM SantiagueroRD.

SHALENA

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
The school Shalena is talking about is Nueva Esperanza. They have that habit of not responding, but they are doing good work. I always say though that if people can't get back to you, they don't need your help. Plenty of places to get involved in

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maine Girl beat me to it.
Shalena: I am betting you can fill one of those door-to-door boxes and ship it down here.
get in touch with JJ (a.k.a. "Bachata" here on DR1.) He is in your "area" and probably knows who ships here, since there is a growing Dominican population there in NC.
Otherwise, we can ship it to Miami (and I do mean "we") and from there to here..
So keep gathering.
And let me know via PM when you will be here...okay?

HB