Wedding Ruined by Incompetence and Mismanagement at Jellyfish

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Recently our excitement about having a Caribbean wedding has been crushed due to a incompetent and cowardly manager at Jellyfish.

Previously Jellyfish has been one of our favourite places to have a special dinner (we even got engaged there), so naturally we thought it would be a great place also to hold the wedding.
On contacting management we started to discuss dates for the wedding and originally the date we wanted was taken, but after two weeks we were told that there has been a cancellation and this date is now available. We responded straight away and were confirmed that this date was ours.
We then had several meetings with the ?manager? and discussed decoration, menu ect... all seemed to be fine with us continually told that ? don?t worry your date is confirmed I will get the final quote to you soon...?

After about 6 weeks and many excuses of why the quote has not been completed yet, we finally received it. All fine except the wrong date!
The reply when we question this was ?well the original person who cancelled wanted this date again, so I gave you the Sunday night instead of the Saturday night?.

A disgrace! No apology, admitting that she stuffed up and double booked, nothing and to the expectation that after 2 months of being told that the date was ours we should just accept her change of date, pitiful.
And the real reason for us losing the date?? Maybe more money was offered for that date? And a little more commission for her?

We are now left in the position with a full guest list who have booked flights (some from Australia), accommodation and now only 5 months to scramble together another location all because one careless, spineless girl couldn?t do her job properly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a shame, hopefully it will all work out and you'll find an even nicer place to celebrate your marriage. Sometimes things like this happen for a reason.....

Maybe some DR1ers in that area have suggestions or can help??

AE

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm very very sorry they screwed around with you and have upset you. I do have a question, since you and your guests are on vacation does it really matter if the wedding takes place on Sunday night? I mean is anyone planning to return to work on Monday?
Normally in most of our home towns and country Saturday is preferred because most people do not work that day and have Sunday to rest up after all the fun but again does it matter when everyone is on Vacation and weekdays really aren't any different than weekends?

Just trying to help ;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I'm very very sorry they screwed around with you and have upset you. I do have a question, since you and your guests are on vacation does it really matter if the wedding takes place on Sunday night? I mean is anyone planning to return to work on Monday?
Normally in most of our home towns and country Saturday is preferred because most people do not work that day and have Sunday to rest up after all the fun but again does it matter when everyone is on Vacation and weekdays really aren't any different than weekends?

Just trying to help ;)

Maybe there are people who have a return flight on Sunday.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
cheers for all da support
unfortunatly sunday was never an option as many of my fiance's Dominican family will be working on Monday in various parts of the country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
New venue needed .... pig roast? You just need to improvise.... get creative....

It will all work out..... unless Whippet becomes a 'runaway bride'.... a la Monaco..:))

They run fast , those whippets

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Whippet

how can you be surprised?

just find a better place ,your wedding is not ruined
it hasnt happened yet

lol
good luck
Manu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
'Only 5 months'? what on earth are you planning? the royals could get it together in 5 months. Sh1t happens. I have a feeling you are more concerned with people knowing how useless the restaurant manager is (and rightly so) than the time you have to reorganize. No point in feeling bitter, will accomplish nothing.
The Dominican family can book 5 months ahead to take the Monday off if you want to keep it at this venue, that is ample notice for any employer.
Chill out, keep it or change it, it is your choice, but have a great day and I hope it all runs well for you both.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Whippet, this would annoy me to no end. I wish you the best in finding alternatives. It is a shame that this was handled in this manner. I know that "this is the DR" but I say "this is your wedding".

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
find a new place, "they lose the money not you". i rent an apt on dr1.com, i recquire a deposit but will not take it until 30 days out, someone may come along and want 3 months and i don't want to lose that business because homer simpson wants the first week in february. business is business, sorry. i believe that the restaurant has a "big fish" on the line for your date. chances are that the fat slob's fat daughter will have her baby by then and the event will be cancelled, too bad....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I must have missed the important part about the deposit you paid to secure the date...

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
I have a feeling you are more concerned with people knowing how useless the restaurant manager is (and rightly so) than the time you have to reorganize. No point in feeling bitter, will accomplish nothing.

Yes absolutly Im am venting now and feel it is important as a consumer whenever something really positive or negetive crosses your path that it should be shared. In this case I feel totally abused the thought of having it at Jellyfish now is impossible after the way we were treated. This sort of thing happens alot when a "popular" place gets to big for its boots and forgets that custom service is also important.

As for the deposit yes that was something we were trying to put down from word go but as I said before she wouldnt take a deposit and many times did tell us not to worry the date is confirmed. So yes we were played big time!

In terms of planning the wedding this has already been put behind us and we have starting talking to some of our contacts in the Resorts ect. and are happy that we found out now and not on the wedding date how disrespectful and useless this person is.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes absolutly Im am venting now and feel it is important as a consumer whenever something really positive or negetive crosses your path that it should be shared. In this case I feel totally abused the thought of having it at Jellyfish now is impossible after the way we were treated. This sort of thing happens alot when a "popular" place gets to big for its boots and forgets that custom service is also important.

As for the deposit yes that was something we were trying to put down from word go but as I said before she wouldnt take a deposit and many times did tell us not to worry the date is confirmed. So yes we were played big time!

In terms of planning the wedding this has already been put behind us and we have starting talking to some of our contacts in the Resorts ect. and are happy that we found out now and not on the wedding date how disrespectful and useless this person is.
If she wouldn't take a deposit I'd definitely be planning a contingency. No deposit accepted = no definite date.

It's just how things are done.

Good luck. Force the deposit issue next time.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I wonder if there's another side to the story...

No offense, Whippet, but a deposit on a Big Dealio wedding is highly relevant. I question why it was left out of your original post. Businesses just don't go turning down deposits for no good reason, especially in the DR. That is totally counter to the business culture.

Back in my days of planning fairly large meetings, the "deposit" word was almost in the first sentence of hotel sales personnel. In arranging lodging for guests here in the DR a deposit is always required to hold a reservation. In fact HERE you have to go deposit in their bank accound and fax or present the deposit slip to them before it's a done deal.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
I wonder if there's another side to the story...

No offense, Whippet, but a deposit on a Big Dealio wedding is highly relevant. I question why it was left out of your original post. Businesses just don't go turning down deposits for no good reason, especially in the DR. That is totally counter to the business culture.

Back in my days of planning fairly large meetings, the "deposit" word was almost in the first sentence of hotel sales personnel. In arranging lodging for guests here in the DR a deposit is always required to hold a reservation. In fact HERE you have to go deposit in their bank accound and fax or present the deposit slip to them before it's a done deal.

No offence, cobraboy but it wasn?t as simple as not paying a deposit.

From our first meeting the agreement was the date would be ours providing we paid a deposit (yes I included it )... after the quote was given to us. The quote was meant to be given to us in a few days, this turned into 6 weeks with every excuse including ? just waiting on a quote from a supplier?, ?i sent it check your spam?, ?I sent it but I am having trouble attaching PDF?s?. Every excuse was followed by ?but don?t worry the date is yours?. Many times we offered to give a deposit (again) but it was brushed aside.

In this case I believe the good reason for why the deposit(3rd) was turned down was that we were put in competition with another couple and that they won the bid and the six weeks of bull**** we got was waiting for them to finalise and pay a DEPOSIT.

So in this case yes paying a deposit was relevant, but highly relevant is making sure you are able to pay the BIGGEST deposit.
Even though it is money that is the biggest thing in business, honesty, integrity and ethics should also always be part of business culture.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ooooh, I am itching to say something but it is off topic...

Another trainwreck..

HB

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
The wedding can`t be ruined...you are not married yet. :)

I wanna say....if anyone screwed me around for 6 weeks..in DR or back at home..I would have changed venues 3 weeks into it. hindsight..blah. Your guests will be happy to be somewhere tropical and will be happy to celebrate your marriage...with or without Jellyfish. Good Luck..thank god I married at City Hall...bypass all the stress.