Bank of preference for fraud?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
For those of you who have had your bank accounts, or should I say your cash cards copied and abused is there any particular bank machine these guys prefer to use. I ask as I have been done over and my online statement it says they have used a particular bank I never use to withdraw cash.
Just a quiery, also can I ask if you got anywhere by going into the bank and asking to see tape or photos of the transaction, is this possible?

sush

Mar 9, 2011
to give you an idea of your question, once i had some money stolen from my debit account, i was in LA ROMANA and my statement said "I" took money of that account 30 minutes before i checked my online account in LOS MINA, SANTO DOMINGO!!! (200us) I was in la Romana all day long, so i contacted the bank made a claim and i think it was a week before they deposited my money back, they did investigate and show me a picture of some guy, i did get my money back but i still cant get an answer of how this happened.... I had the CARD all the time with me!!! no lost nor stolen.. in my purse all day. If you are not sure of the transaction and who made it do contact the bank they will start an investigation.

my card was from popular bank.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I read somewhere here that the theft happens at Cardnet level, that means no hard copying the card on location but at the card transaction process center. There's countless thread on this in DR1.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I hear contacting the bank involved here is worthless and going through my own bank (it was a UK account I used) is the way to go, have you found this to be the case? I have contacted my bank but not the bank where the withdrawal was made, I figure they will be of no help at all. Were they able to send the picture to you online? I'd like to know what this person looks like.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You should contact the bank that emitted your card to get the charge cancelled.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I hear contacting the bank involved here is worthless and going through my own bank (it was a UK account I used) is the way to go, have you found this to be the case? I have contacted my bank but not the bank where the withdrawal was made, I figure they will be of no help at all. Were they able to send the picture to you online? I'd like to know what this person looks like.

~I recall reading a similiar post and the OP went to their bank, told them of the fraudulent charge or withdrawal. The credited the account the amount that was taken, had the account holder sign an affidavit and other paperwork attesting that they did not take the funds and they did an investigation.....try your bank in UK

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Just received a phone call supposedly from my telephone carrier telling me that I'm the winner of certain amount of $$$... for been a good custumer.
I fallowed the game and and with a happy tone of voice passed the wrong info of my Banco Popular credit card number to the stupid Dominican girl who presume that I"m an idiot...
At the end of our conversation I said; the only problem is that my credit card was called by the bank in 2006...............

Incredible this girl got so mad at me and start calling..... Tu lo que eres es un delincuente! when she is the one who is trying to steal my identity.

Let me pass her pone number to Home Land security.

JJ

Last edited:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Just received a phone call supposedly from my telephone carrier with telling me that I was the winner of a certain amount of $$$...
I fallowed the game and and with a happy tone of voice passed the wrong info of my Banco Popular credit card number to the stupid Dominican girl who presume that I"m an idiot...
At the end of our conversation I said; the only problem is that my credit card was called by the bank in 2006...............

Incredible this girl got so mad at me and start calling..... Tu lo que eres es un delincuente! when she is the one who is trying to steal my identity.

JJ
She was operating under the salesman's theory that every defeat gets her closer to her next victory. What did you gain by wasting your time?????

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
She was operating under the salesman's theory that every defeat gets her closer to her next victory. What did you gain by wasting your time?????

Lot of people get caught, I listens a radio show from Santiago online almost every, not one but thousand call telling how their got CC info stolen this way.

JJ

Last edited:

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Hard to believe with caller ID etc. Folks still give info over the phone. Anyway, My credit cards have in the past been compromised thru Cardnet via Santiago. There have been people busted there but my banks realized it--sent me new cards and I paid nothing related to these frauds. I try not use credit cards much in the DR, do use them at Pricesmart and several other reputable places. In the past I believe my problems were initiated at La Sirena. I prefer to use my ATM card at BHD machines. Some of the outdoor ones have guards. It is best to not approach a machine where people seem to be hanging around.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Just received a phone call supposedly from my telephone carrier telling me that I'm the winner of certain amount of $$$... for been a good custumer.

JJ

Interesting, I got one around 2pm today, automated telling me about a win on something, then switched to a centre to hand over my bank details to be paid directly. These are quite normal in the UK but never have I come across this on my landline here. Wierd people will still think you can get something for nothing and hand these details over. Also I'm still not sure what they can accomplish by obtaining my bank account number, this is useless to a anyone.