Taxi Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2011
I was wondering if someone can recommened a taxi driver? I will be in the Domincan Republic in about 2 weeks. I will need a taxi to take me from sousa to costmbar. I do not want to use the publico. I just don't feel comfortable. Can anyone recommend someone and give me an idea of what I would pay?

Also where can i exchange money in sousa that gives good rates?

Thanks

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Good taxi is Elias 809-842-5557, he speaks English. Costombar is not far, about $35 cab ride or so.
Change at Western Union or Rusa or in Charamicos at Caribe Express.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Use an Airport taxi, pay RD$1000, I am dated but not THAT dated. Change money in Sosua when you are heading in the opposite direction to your accom? eh? Would you not be better just changing outside of Sos or even these days, using a debit card at a machine is good practice (I say that after my account has been robbed this week, lol), for me carrying cash (more than RD30,000$ is not good) is not good on the North coast, or anywhere! At the end of the day the exchange rate means sod all when on vacation, you're parting and not changing enough to make any different in reality!

Jan 17, 2009
Caribe Express (next door to Caribe Tours) is likely to have the best rate in Sosua. But I agree with Anastacio for few a cents difference in the rate is not worthy going from El Batey to Charamicos where Caribe Express is. As long as you get between 37.90-38 pesos per US, you're getting a good rate.

By the way, you can always take the Caribe Tours bus from Sosua to Costambar.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anywhere near 38 is a good rate.... do a little of the math....
unless its BIG money you're exchanging, the decimal point means little.

Anytime I don't like the rate (always ask in advance) I just "up" the exchange a bit

How much for $50...... he stiffs me.....
I say, "OK what about $100".... if the rate doesn't change ... it's $50

And go on to the next guy.

If possible - better to establish ONE relatinship.... for a vacationer, thats not always easy

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Also where can i exchange money in sousa that gives good rates?
Thanks
For changing money in Sosua, Ellie & I would recommend Domingo who has the small Cambio on the same side as the Brittania/Jolly Roger on PC and is the last shop on the left heading towards La Roca/Checkpoint Bar just after the little cafe bar & clothes shop. He is honest, gives a good rate and doesn't try to "rip you off". He was recommended to us when we first came to Sosua and we have used him ever since. Hope that helps.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
By the way, you can always take the Caribe Tours bus from Sosua to Costambar.
Two issues here.

(1) If the OP is frightened to ride in a publico he sure won't be comfortable riding a motoconcho from the main road into Costambar (especially if his destination is, as I suspect, at the far end of Costambar).

(2) Do you know for sure that the Caribe Tours bus will stop at the Costambar turn-off on request? Coming from Santiago I have twice failed to persuade the driver to let me alight at Playa Dorada, even after offering a worthwhile propina. Dominicans have told me that Caribe and Metro drivers will not make unscheduled stops, and after many bus trips I have only seen them make an unscheduled stop once, to let off an army colonel (but then he had a big handgun).

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2009
I have been in many Caribe tours buses from Santiago that made stops to get customers off at two points: Costambar, POP airport, and Montellano. I never experienced them a stop near Playa Dorada. Metro does not do any stops except Puerto Plata. For Caribe tours to stop, I've noticed, you got to let the driver know before boarding. In fact, I've heard them asking who were getting of a different points (including Costambar) to re-arrange their check baggage in front.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have been in many Caribe tours buses from Santiago that made stops to get customers off at two points: Costambar, POP airport, and Montellano. I never experienced them a stop near Playa Dorada. Metro does not do any stops except Puerto Plata. For Caribe tours to stop, I've noticed, you got to let the driver know before boarding. In fact, I've heard them asking who were getting of a different points (including Costambar) to re-arrange their check baggage in front.

If you are getting off at any but a terminal, luggage must be inside. Before Caribe Tours bus leaves terminal in POP for trip to Sosua, for example, somebody asks the passengers if they will be getting off at one of a couple of places in between and telling those who will to bring their bags into the bus. The luggage compartments opened only in the terminals.

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
we were in sosua 2 weeks ago and we used wilson he speaks very good english and have no hesitation in recommending him, take you anywhere you want to go
contact number in sosua is 8094292110
tell him ken and trudy recommend him might do you a deal he was very accommodating

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
we were in sosua 2 weeks ago and we used wilson he speaks very good english and have no hesitation in recommending him, take you anywhere you want to go
contact number in sosua is 8094292110
tell him ken and trudy recommend him might do you a deal he was very accommodating

Yes, Wilson is great. You can't go wrong with him. Telling him that Trudy and I recommended him will help. You will get excellent service regardless, but it may help with the price.

May 17, 2011
Great,

Should I just give him a call a day or two before I need him? I'm arriving on the 7th and don't want to call him too early since it's about 2 weeks away

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
well good to hear everything is coming together for the OP, I know when ken reccommended Wilson it took a lot of the worry of our shoulders and kens recommendation was spot on, hope all goes well for their visit
ken and trudy from UK

May 17, 2011
Taxi

I emailed wilson last week and have yet to hear from him. I am flying in on wednesday the 7th. Do you happen to have a phone number for him? I mentioned in the email that Ken and Trudy did refer me. If I don't hear from him by monday I may need to make other arrangements

Thanks

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Let me send Wilson a text message to see if don't want to make money.... verdes de los que rinden alla!

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Wilson replayed my text right away. He said he is available and ready to answer phone calls.

I may recommend him too.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.