Macao?

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
We're looking for a different destination to drive to and were told about Macao. Is there anything someone could tell us about it - the beach, good places to eat. We're in Punta Cana and are just looking for some different scenary. Is it a good place to go to for the day? Thanks for any info, jeb

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Pack your own food in. No bathroom facilities. Two surf schools. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous beach. Waves for the surfers, not what you would call a calm beach. I've only been once but here is a shot:

14 agosto by Amity Beane, on Flickr

And lots and lots of sunscreen....

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Pack your own food in. No bathroom facilities. Two surf schools. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous beach. Waves for the surfers, not what you would call a calm beach. I've only been once but here is a shot:

14 agosto by Amity Beane, on Flickr

And lots and lots of sunscreen....

Thanks Maine girl for your info and the photo. It looks like a beautiful beach, jeb

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a great choice for a day out - take water (there are a couple of colmados in the village of Macao just before you get to the beach) and a beach umbrella. It's only about 30 minutes drive from Punta Cana - the best bit is when you reach the crest of the hill and the view of the beach becomes apparent.

There's a basic seafood comedor at the far end of the beach which I've never tried but has been highly recommended. The alternative is to go early, leave before lunch and eat in B?varo on the way home.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Comedor near Macao Beach

There is a good comedor in the village a bit further back on the corner of the T crossing where you turn to drive back to Bavaro.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
when we were there in June, there were a couple of porta-potties available. (probably for the bus tours that stop there). Not exactly the Ritz, but any port in a storm, and they came in handy.

oh.. and the beach is FABULOUS. View, water, etc. (I like waves.)

Last edited:

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
really beautiful! Totally worth a trip. I frequented it for 2 weeks in Jan. and there was virtually no one. The odd resort tour would stop by for an hour or so and then it would be deserted for another two hours. Waves were alright if you surf but some days were pretty calm. No porta potties where i was...watch out for horse poop in the sand.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Depending on the time of year, the waters can be pounding or dead calm...especially at the far eastern end. this time of year with an easterly-southeasterly wind, things are generally calm. Here you will find a restaurant called Valles....wonderful place to get back to basics and enjoy some locally caught seafood. We try to go 2 times a month with our young daughter who loves the gentleness of the beach at that end.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Went to Macao yesterday - what a beautiful beach. We had lunch at the comedor absolute end of the beach where we picked our live lobster and had it grilled - delicioso. The fish looked very good too and while we were waiting for lobster another boat pulled in with more fish. Really had a great time. Definitely another beautiful beach. jeb

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband said he spent a week camping with friends in a tent on the beach there when he was a young boy [a LONG time ago], and it was heavenly. And doesn't look like it's changed much! Not many places in DR can say that.

AE