Americans Divorcing Americans in the Dominican Republic.

osanhopps

Aug 19, 2007
I have not been in this forum forum for a very long time, so please excuse me but I need your opinions. I have a friend who would like to divorce his wife. He would like to get this divorce in the Dominican Republic. What is the law for an American divorcing a American in the Dominican Republic. Also, can anyone suggest a good lawyer which he could contact. Thanks!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I know several Americans here in Vegas who stream lined their divorce in the DR. Bunch of divorce lawyers here use the DR route.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I remember back in the early 80's divorce of Americans was very popular. We used to take bus transfers from SDQ into the city. The tour rep on the bus would ask all on the bus who were here for a divorce to raise their hands. Half the bus was here for a divorce. They had lawyers waiting at the hotel for the bus to arrive.

Jan 17, 2009
I wasn't impressed at all by the lawyers at Guzman Ariza Law Firm in Sosua when asking about divorce issues a few years back. These young kids didn't know squat. Every question I had they had to look in a book to give me an answer they were even't sure that was the correct answer. I specifically requested an appointment with a divorce lawyer; but these young lawyers were not divorced lawyers. Or they should have been able to answer very common and simple questions re divorce laws.