working remotely from Santo Domingo

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
I have a upcoming trip to la Capital but I have to work a few days. I have a laptop with very good battery life, and I have it ready to go for remote usage. I also have a smartphone that is setup for tethering.

The idea is to be able to work outdoors somewhere sip on a beer, and monitor my work. Kind of like sitting on the beach or at a starbucks.

My question is are there any locations in Santo Domingo that have public wifi. I lots of places do but i am looking for recommendations about decently relaxing spots to do this from.

I have wifi in the hotel as a backup, and i plan to get a daily or weekly data plan from orange or claro to tether as a backup.

Are there any starbucks in a decent location where this can be done?
Can i get wifi at blue mall or acropolis?
is there any cool hangout by the university where i can accomplish this? (plaza de cultura?)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Here's a thread about that.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/43076-wifi-spots-list-em.html

There are of course tons of places with Wifi not listed here. What has worked for me is basically just go to the spot you want to work from and search...you're bound to find an open connection. Honestly if you have the Orange daily plan that should be sufficient and you shouldn't have to be looking for free wifi...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Supermercado Bravo Churchill and Enriquillo have wifi. KFC Churchill seems to have it and Bluemall has wifi too.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I work out of a home office in DR but from time to time I like to take a day to relax while still staying connected. I have been known to head to Boca Chica and sit at the Boat House bar and "work". I also used to get wifi from Tres Moskateros next to segafredo in the colonial zone. I have not tried in a while as I had a 3G usb modem with claro and now tether to my iphone 4 for 3G access.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I know there is wiFi all over Santo Domingo. i was looking for suggestions on good places to veg out while i work. I dont want to spend those work days in my hotel room.

So far i like ...
Blue Mall
Hooters(acropolis)
tres mos in zona colonial

Boathouse in boca chica

Keep the suggestions coming