Avocados???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's been VERY long since we've been able to buy Dominican avocados locally in NJ. Just recently we finally got some from Florida that are decent, but lack the rich taste of the ones from DR.

This morning we spoke to our caretaker in DR, and he said today alone he picked 24 big avocados from our trees.

So, is it avocado season in DR? If so, any idea why they're not being exported to the US?

We planted a bunch of avocados that bear fruit twice a year, but he said these aren't from those trees.

How much are they selling for in DR right now?

AE

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Avocados in Plenty

So, is it avocado season in DR?
How much are they selling for in DR right now?

We have just harvested the last few buckets...
In other places there may still be in season.
Avocados differ a lot depending on the very tree, we have very good ones and some of lesser quality.
We (and the cows and the dogs) eat them all... :bunny:
In the 'colmados' they still sell around 10 pesos/each, prices will pick up once they become scarce.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for the info Don. We're on the south coast, about an hour west of Santo Domingo. Caretaker says he's overloaded with avocados and about a million mangos.

I wish we were there, a mango shake/batida sounds great about now.....!

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ours are a month away from being ripe. They are bigger than softballs now...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Avocados differ a lot depending on the very tree, we have very good ones and some of lesser quality.
We (and the cows and the dogs) eat them all... :bunny:

donP
We compete with the dogs for avocados, mangos and tayotas that fall off the trees...we see the seeds from the mangos and avocados all over...

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Up here on the peninsula we are getting to the end of the season, not alot left on our trees.
While it was a plentiful harvest for the last 4/6 weeks they were not as good as last year, they seemed to not have alot of flavor and were quite watery.
I'm not a farmer but am thinking that there has been too much rain this year to bear good tasting fruit.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We compete with the dogs for avocados, mangos and tayotas that fall off the trees...we see the seeds from the mangos and avocados all over...

Last year we had so many mangoes that everyone was sick of them - I remember that even the pigs were refusing to eat any more of them.

AE

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Anyone know why with all the avocados in the DR you can't find any decent guacamole in homes or restaurants? Are these the wrong type of avocados for guacamole? You would think that as the fresh avocados started going soft instead of tossing them they would utilize them for guacamole.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You guys are killing me. I love avacados and they are so expensive here in Massachesetts. $1.99 each and they look like chit.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Anyone know why with all the avocados in the DR you can't find any decent guacamole in homes or restaurants? Are these the wrong type of avocados for guacamole? You would think that as the fresh avocados started going soft instead of tossing them they would utilize them for guacamole.

Dominicans dont like to prepare guacamole with avocados (too much work), and also guacamole is mexican. you wont find avocado neither in any restaurant. just in some Fondas or Restaurantes Tipicos.
I prepare guacamole with dominican avocados and its very good. but I prefer dominican way with some olive oil, vinegar and salt.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

we do not eat guacamole. guacamole is mexican. we do not eat refried beans. refried beans are mexican. we do, sometimes, get a teeny tiny little bit of guacamole as a side dish when we go to Taco Bell, And some of the super markets are selling a green package of guacamole. I do not know who buys them since I do not see a lot of Mexicans in this neighborhood. We eat avocados with pan de agua. We also eat avocados just plain and cut up as a side dish as a salad.

we do not eat guacamole

we are not mexican

but we can usually sing the "ay yay yay yay ya" part of Celito Lindo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
we do not eat guacamole. guacamole is mexican. we do not eat refried beans. refried beans are mexican. we do, sometimes, get a teeny tiny little bit of guacamole as a side dish when we go to Taco Bell, And some of the super markets are selling a green package of guacamole. I do not know who buys them since I do not see a lot of Mexicans in this neighborhood. We eat avocados with pan de agua. We also eat avocados just plain and cut up as a side dish as a salad.

we do not eat guacamole

we are not mexican

but we can usually sing the "ay yay yay yay ya" part of Celito Lindo

Who's we, I've had guacamole a number of times in the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I make "Avacado Dip"(I can't spell "Guacamole") all the time!
If I make,they eat it!
When it comes to "DIET", Dominicans are "Creatures-of-Habit"! Nothing NEW, everything "OVERCOOKED" "Por FAVOR"!
If you ask them if they want to try,"A New Culinary Experience?" You get that "wrinkled up nose thing"!
If you "force feed" them something,they usually go,"Ay Que Bueno,Quiero MAS"!!!!
cccccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccc

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I ate guacamole if can call so many time when I was living in DR. My guacamole is a bit different than the Mexican one I've eat here in US. I crash the avocado and add a teaspoon of salt and some olive oil. then I get a bread "Pan de agua" put it inside and Hmm delicious.

JJ

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Guacamole and corn chips were served at Alida's neices baby shower saturday evening...and I was the only American there...