Tax and Duties for Sending Laptop to DR

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hello,

Does anyone know how much I can expect to pay in Tax and Duties when sending a laptop to the DR?

I want to send one as a gift.

Or, do you guys recommend buying the laptop in the DR?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Biggus Dickus

Banned
Sep 6, 2011
Hello Vibe_2020,I can tell you that a couple of months back I was looking to send
someone a laptop, turns out that purchasing one in DR was much cheaper.

Feb 7, 2007
You will pay 16% ITBIS on value if value exceeds US$200. Value is calculated like base value + fleet + insurance which adds about 5-8% on top of the value, you are charged 16% off the whole price. On top of that your packaging service will charge anywhere form 500 to 1500 pesos for customs clearance services. On a US$1000 laptop calculate to pay about 200-220 US$ in fees.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hand carrying one in is FREE. (Remember it is YOURS, not a gift for someone else)

You're much better off bringing one in a suitcase the next time you go there.

AE

Never put one in a suitcase unless you want an unknown person to be the owner of a free laptop.

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Purchasing Laptop on North Coast

Wow!

Thank you all for the fast responses.

It is appreciated.

It sounds like it would be better to purchase one in DR.

Does anyone know where to purchase one on the North Coast? Preferably, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Santiago, etc.

Or better yet is there a website where one can be purchased within the country?

Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Never put one in a suitcase unless you want an unknown person to be the owner of a free laptop.

I meant in the carry-on. We brought in two [gave one to husband's cousin] and they never even looked/asked.

Our nephew needed one for college and wanted a Sony Vaio, we were going to buy it in US for him because it was cheaper. But then they realized:

#1. If anything went wrong with it he'd be better off with a local warranty
#2. Operating system etc. would be in English

So they bought it in Santo Domingo.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AE: Any kid that wants a Sony Vaio and doesn't know enough English to read the manual should not get a Sony Vaio. And they shelled out an extra few hundred needlessly...sheesh

To the OP: DO NOT SEND A LAPTOP except by a mule! No way...

I know a few people that do this on a regular basis and offer the very best prices on this equipment. If you PM me I will put you into contact and you can see what is available. These are legal, duty paid machines.

That said, I just brought in a touch pad and a 10" Toshiba for a person in Cabarete. No sweat...Fit in a carry on...

Never send anything valuable in the mail...

HB