Jamaican Shack on Sosua Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
When I was on Sosua Beach last weekend, I noticed a Jamaican restaurant/shack with jerk chicken and other Jamaican dishes. Is the food there any good?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
You should get in touch with "The Gorgon" he seems to know all there is to know about Jamaican food, plus he's interested in starting a place of his own. Maybe you could convince him in opening one in the North coast.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Man that cracked conch some good stuff i'd have it 4 times a week when working in Paradise Island and drinking Bahama mammas!!!!!!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
oh yeah, needs the Blue Mountain after a night of partying...:laugh:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Taino, thanks for the recommendation. i myself have Jamaican roots, so i am familiar with Jamaican cooking. i stopped by the shack, but nothing was ready to be served. i myself have no intention of opening a joint, for the simple reason that i do not have sufficient funds. get me a backer, and watch sparks fly.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
besides, Taino, i would not open a Jamaican restaurant. it would be a Caribbean Restaurant. Jamaican jerk meats and beef patties, Bahamian cracked conch, and conch chowder, Trinidadian roti, the Dominican bandera, Puerto Rican pernil, Cuban sandwiches, and mojitos, Red Stripe Beer, Guiness Stout Punch....you get my drift...a culinary panorama of the islands.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
besides, Taino, i would not open a Jamaican restaurant. it would be a Caribbean Restaurant. Jamaican jerk meats and beef patties, Bahamian cracked conch, and conch chowder, Trinidadian roti, the Dominican bandera, Puerto Rican pernil, Cuban sandwiches, and mojitos, Red Stripe Beer, Guiness Stout Punch....you get my drift...a culinary panorama of the islands.

Well now that you've made my mouth water, I hope you actually open it:bunny:

I love PR pernil, but I've had some just as good, and sometimes better, from lechoneras around the SD area. The best, I think, was from a little place on a tiny street that someone sent us to in the Zona Colonial. We brought a tray to my suegra's house, and it did an instant disappearing act.

AE

ChrisNYC

Sep 6, 2011

Jamaican food is the best. I have always wanted to spend a month in negril learning how to cook . Unfortunately I was never able to organize it.

Jamaicans know spices...man I wish I did too.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
thanks for complimenting my national cooking, Chris. you are right. we do understand spices.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well now that you've made my mouth water, I hope you actually open it:bunny:

I love PR pernil, but I've had some just as good, and sometimes better, from lechoneras around the SD area. The best, I think, was from a little place on a tiny street that someone sent us to in the Zona Colonial. We brought a tray to my suegra's house, and it did an instant disappearing act.

AE

yes, some great roast pork comes out of this island. however, reserve your judgement until you have tried pernil made with pepperoni stuffed into the slashes where you put the seasoning. a little something to make your mouth water.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
yes, some great roast pork comes out of this island. however, reserve your judgement until you have tried pernil made with pepperoni stuffed into the slashes where you put the seasoning. a little something to make your mouth water.

Pepperoni....hmmm....interesting.....I already stick slices of garlic in there after the seasoning goes on.....I'll try the pepperoni!!!!!

AE

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Man I was just talking about the Pork Pit Restaurant on the hip strip in Montego Bay. I love the jerk pork and chicken served there. Not too spicy but just right!!! Hmmmm memories!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't forget baby back ribs and joney cakes from st marten.

yacht chef, that is what i am talking about. a restaurant that serves stuff like that. jerk baby back ribs, and jerk lobster, are wonderful. this country really needs a good caribbean restaurant. after all, we are in the caribbean.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Then I think that you had better think Santo Domingo or Santiago, where you have a much larger population base and a taste for good food that is not dependent on which flight is on time or not...ie: Tourism....

Santiago has tons of restaurants, Nouveau Cuisine, Mexican, Chinese, Argentinian, US Fast Food (Barf barf!), Dominican Fast Food (greasy but yummy), Japanese, Italian, Tex-Mex, sea food, but nothing close to Caribbean....and it is a city where reggae is heard on the radio and in cars all the time. I really think it would be a hit.

Go for it, but in the right place. A shack on the beach won't make enough to justify it.

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Then I think that you had better think Santo Domingo or Santiago, where you have a much larger population base and a taste for good food that is not dependent on which flight is on time or not...ie: Tourism....

Santiago has tons of restaurants, Nouveau Cuisine, Mexican, Chinese, Argentinian, US Fast Food (Barf barf!), Dominican Fast Food (greasy but yummy), Japanese, Italian, Tex-Mex, sea food, but nothing close to Caribbean....and it is a city where reggae is heard on the radio and in cars all the time. I really think it would be a hit.

Go for it, but in the right place. A shack on the beach won't make enough to justify it.

HB

Hillbilly, you make perfect sense. it would do well in either of those two cities. i can see Dominicans of all stripes coming in to get some conch soup and johnny cakes.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
has anyone tried the Jamaican on Sosua beach already?

I do not know the Jamaican cuisine but I am sure that here on the North Coast, tourists AND ex-pats would welcome yet another cuisine. Not sure if many Dominicans would like it as I am told its quite spicy...yummie!

Status
Not open for further replies.