Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Quite disturbing,my condolences
I feel for the family,I really do
hang them high!

but whats more disturbing is the fact that a dominican or haitian can kill an american/brit/canadian and no one really cares
... but if an american kills a dominican then its a bigger deal ?

what gives,whats wrong with this picture?
my 2 cents

Manu

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
but whats more disturbing is the fact that a dominican or haitian can kill an american/brit/canadian and no one really cares

my 2 cents

Manu

It wouldn't be in this DOMINICANS ABROAD forum if it was any other nationality. ;)

Very sad, condolences to the family. Sounds kind of strange that they would spare one person since she can identify who did this.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
hang them high!

my 2 cents

Manu

You're one sick individual...

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Pichardo

If you would take the time to read you would maybe understand what I was trying to say!

How come an expats life is worth nothing in the dominican republic???
answer that
then tell me Im sick
Manu

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Anna

maybe I am clueless
... but as facts have it ,americans ,brits,canadians ,cubans and frenchies are killed here and its not a big deal

and that the problem I am having
Manu

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I live in Philadelphia part of the year and had check cashing stores there.

Some areas can be very rough..... gangs and organized crime still thrive.
Guns are commonplace.

Some parts of west Phila can extremely harsh.... clearly, this is of those parts.

There will be reason for this killing..... if we ever are made aware of it.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
West? Center City is crazy if you dont live in the immediate area of Broad and Market. I have a friend who lives off of 12th and Girard and I went to pick her up one time at like 5 in the morning. I didnt bother to stop the car at any traffic light. That place is seedy when the sun goes down.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct..... keep moving.... Center City is another bad area.

South Phila has the reputation... but north and west are tough too

As you know...there is no east Phila..:pirate:

Ever try the subway ?? Yikes !!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
hang them high!

my 2 cents

Manu

No offense but I don' think you should associate the reaction of the mostly corrupt Dominican police force with what the citizens here feel. Mostly people are upset over the violence here and in fact has been in the news a lot lately.

Like most people, Dominicans like to know why a murder happened and of course are more upset about the random type killings. When a murder happens to a businessmen in a dangerous business or a "shady" person they are likely to say they were playing with fire.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No offense but I don' think you should associate the reaction of the mostly corrupt Dominican police force with what the citizens here feel. Mostly people are upset over the violence here and in fact has been in the news a lot lately.

Like most people, Dominicans like to know why a murder happened and of course are more upset about the random type killings. When a murder happens to a businessmen in a dangerous business or a "shady" person they are likely to say they were playing with fire.

I also think that when a foreigner gets killed it's easy for a Dominican to disassociate themselves with the death. They probably think the person either flashed too much $$, got in with the wrong people, etc., so in their mind it couldn't happen to them. When a Dominican dies in DR, I think the "there but for the grace of God go I" mentality kicks in.

In this case in Philly, I think it's big news because
#1. Almost an entire family was wiped out - and two daughters watched [I made a mistake in the OP, I thought it was one]
#2. They owned a small business like lots of others in the US [i.e. "that could have been me"]
#3. The irony of it being the father's birthday
#4. The crime and flash mobs in Philly have been big news everywhere in US lately

Unfortunately, by next week it will probably be forgotten by all except those personally touched by the tragedy.

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I also think that when a foreigner gets killed it's easy for a Dominican to disassociate themselves with the death. They probably think the person either flashed too much $$, got in with the wrong people, etc., so in their mind it couldn't happen to them. When a Dominican dies in DR, I think the "there but for the grace of God go I" mentality kicks in.

AE

Good point and I think this basically reflects that gringos in the tourist areas have a very poor reputation, and mostly rightly so.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Correct..... keep moving.... Center City is another bad area.

South Phila has the reputation... but north and west are tough too

As you know...there is no east Phila..:pirate:

Ever try the subway ?? Yikes !!

East Philadelphia? Camden, NJ. I caught some trouble over with some stupid Porto Rican woman. Bust out my windows and all that bullshhhht. The best thing about Philly is the music scene is dynamic. Everything else is self-destructive.