Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Provisional Residence or Residence Card

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Provisional Residence or Residence Card

I will be Renting an apartment in Santo Domingo soon, i am working which to apply for first, the Residence Visa, Provisional Residence or Residence Card. Which card should i do first and could you tell me how much it will cost and how long it will take to obtain the card

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of a "Residence Visa". The Provisional Residence is the card you get before you can get your Permanent Residence. It took me over 8 months to get my provisional residence. Applied first week of January, got it only two weeks ago. With a lawyer, the cost is around $1,000 including the cost of your cedula. I've heard it is cheaper with some lawyers in Santo Domingo. Mine is in Santiago.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So that i understand, i most get the Provisional Residence Card first, the cost for this is about $1.000, along with the Cedula, what is that if i may ask?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Cedula is the national identification card in DR. You'll get one when you get your permanent residency.

You need one to work in the DR [although I've heard some say they've worked without one..., but that's like working in the US without a social security number]

AE

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Provisional Residence Card is first, the cost for this is about $1.000, along with the Cedula

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I wrong.... bad memory.....

The cedula comes w/ the provisional residency , as I recall

Then, renewed w/ permanent --- or later.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

WW, I may be the one who is wrong about when you receive the cedula. It wouldn't be the first time :-)

AE

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm correct.... prov residency gets you a cedula too.

It is then validated w/ the permanent residency - 1 year later

Perhaps a 'fresh recruit' will fill us in !!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My provisional residency has just been approved. It took more than 8 months, mostly due to the fact that the government was changing the forms and reviewing processes to implement the retiree residency (fast track), bu t that actually did not apply to me...just slowed the process down. I paid US$1,000, including two trips to Santo Domingo from Puerto Plata. I understand that I will receive my cedula when I got to pick up my residency paperwork next week. I'll update next week assuming all goes well. It's been very difficult to be patient, but there is really no choice, it appears, other than waiting for formal approval. Good luck.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I think I'm correct.... prov residency gets you a cedula too.

It is then validated w/ the permanent residency - 1 year later

Perhaps a 'fresh recruit' will fill us in !!!
    yes, you receive a cedula with the provisional residency. one year later you do the same process all over (paper work, medical exam, etc.) for the permanent residency and cedula.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast