Provisional Residence or Residence Card

SmoothSax

Aug 11, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
I will be Renting an apartment in Santo Domingo soon, i am working which to apply for first, the Residence Visa, Provisional Residence or Residence Card. Which card should i do first and could you tell me how much it will cost and how long it will take to obtain the card

Jan 17, 2009
I never heard of a "Residence Visa". The Provisional Residence is the card you get before you can get your Permanent Residence. It took me over 8 months to get my provisional residence. Applied first week of January, got it only two weeks ago. With a lawyer, the cost is around $1,000 including the cost of your cedula. I've heard it is cheaper with some lawyers in Santo Domingo. Mine is in Santiago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cedula is the national identification card in DR. You'll get one when you get your permanent residency.

You need one to work in the DR [although I've heard some say they've worked without one..., but that's like working in the US without a social security number]

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Am I wrong.... bad memory.....

The cedula comes w/ the provisional residency , as I recall

Then, renewed w/ permanent --- or later.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WW, I may be the one who is wrong about when you receive the cedula. It wouldn't be the first time :)

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think I'm correct.... prov residency gets you a cedula too.

It is then validated w/ the permanent residency - 1 year later

Perhaps a 'fresh recruit' will fill us in !!!

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
My provisional residency has just been approved. It took more than 8 months, mostly due to the fact that the government was changing the forms and reviewing processes to implement the retiree residency (fast track), bu t that actually did not apply to me...just slowed the process down. I paid US$1,000, including two trips to Santo Domingo from Puerto Plata. I understand that I will receive my cedula when I got to pick up my residency paperwork next week. I'll update next week assuming all goes well. It's been very difficult to be patient, but there is really no choice, it appears, other than waiting for formal approval. Good luck.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I think I'm correct.... prov residency gets you a cedula too.

It is then validated w/ the permanent residency - 1 year later

Perhaps a 'fresh recruit' will fill us in !!!
yes, you receive a cedula with the provisional residency. one year later you do the same process all over (paper work, medical exam, etc.) for the permanent residency and cedula.

Jan 17, 2009
Just to clarify since I just got it. You go get your cedula first, then pick up your residence; both the same day.

You don't need to carry your Residence card around, but you do need your Cedula. That's your ID.

You'll need it too to get a driver's license.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ok, thanks. When applying for the Provisional Residence, can you tell me how much this will cost?

Will you use a lawyer or do it yourself or with a friend?

Lawyers ahve different fees.

There are good threads and suggestions about this if you search..... about using a lawyer or not, etc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Then your costs will just be the assessed fees.... be sure to take the VIP

Someone will post the costs..... search it - I know its here somewhere

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Accelerated process... less waiting time

You really need to SEARCH this topic to get up to speed

Its not difficult, just time consuming and "Dominican"...:ermm:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I never got VIP. It's 14000 pesos, medical included. Than 4000 for your cedula and another 1000 pesos for your residency. The greatest thieves are in Migracion.

Carlospaisa

Aug 31, 2017
If I start the provisional process, will I get a paper to show an employer that I am in the process of getting a cedula? Will that be enough to start working in a call center?