Lads holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate_director

Sep 16, 2011
Hi All,

In November I'm travelling to Playa Dorada (VH Gran Vertana Beach Hotel) for 2 weeks with about 8 other guys. We are all young (25 -30) and mostly single (apart from 2).

I need some advice as to what to do. We love to party so i need to know where to go and the best days to go on? Also, Many of the guys would like to know where all the singles ladies are (NON Working!!!!!!!).

whats November like in DR and does anyone know about the Hotel we're staying in????

Thanks in advanced

Nate

Last edited by a moderator:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Who was the genius that thought up this itinerary? He made a big goof if ladies (working or non-working) are in your plans.

Cancel the hotel. Try week one in Santiago. Hang out around the Universities and try your luck with the most beautiful women in the world. When this fails, move on to Sosua during week 2. At least you'll relieve all frustrations before heading home.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
The last place in the world to find a girl is Sosua. Maybe in Bangor, Maine, at 2:00 am would be easier.
change your plan to Punta Cana (plenty of girls from every countries) or come to Santo Domingo or Santiago.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You could be lucky and find single ladies among your fellow guests. I don't know your hotel but Playa Dorada is a sort of isolated, gated area of mainly all-inclusive hotels where they try to discourage you from seeing the big bad world outside. If you can break out, there are usually non-working girls from all over the world in Cabarete, which is about 45 minutes away by taxi but as belmont said you will enjoy the experience of Sosua, which is nearer, just to watch and see if you can resist the temptations on offer.
November is a good time to visit - a good temperature but possibly a little rain.

nate_director

Sep 16, 2011
Thanks all for the comments.

Belmont - I'm not sure you understand me.... The holiday isn't based around women but some eye candy is always nice.

Johnny - I was going to go to Punta Cana but i was told that was hotel based only.

Drstock - Thanks for that. we are going to either hire Motor bikes or cars so we will always be on the move. we wont stay in Playa dorada but we was told that being in the north is best for a fun holiday that would also involve locals and not just tourists like in Punta Cana.

So it seems that all fingers are pointing to Cabarette, that being the case does any1 have any places we could go nad days that its popping?

Also, what is there to do in Sosua?

last question...... how far is punta cana and would we be able to party there even if we are not staying there

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
. we are going to either hire Motor bikes or cars so we will always be on the move.

If this is your first trip to the DR, my advice is to not drive. Bikes can be dangerous if you're not familiar with Dominican driving habits, and a car fender bender can cost you thousands, night in jail, etc.

You're not in Kansas anymore.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Belmont - I'm not sure you understand me.... The holiday isn't based around women but some eye candy is always nice.

Pardon me. I was confused as your post concerned the availability of women.

Johnny - I was going to go to Punta Cana but i was told that was hotel based only.

I think you were told wrong

Drstock - Thanks for that. we are going to either hire Motor bikes or cars so we will always be on the move. we wont stay in Playa dorada but we was told that being in the north is best for a fun holiday that would also involve locals and not just tourists like in Punta Cana.
If you rent motor bikes, I will be happy to pay the premiums for an accidental death and dismemberment policy if you agree to share the proceeds with me.

So it seems that all fingers are pointing to Cabarette, that being the case does any1 have any places we could go nad days that its popping?
Nothing is "popping" in November anywhere in the DR. The highlights of November are a day without rain and an imported turkey dinner.

The powers that be don't permit the promotion of whore mongering on this site. Other than that, you can get drunk or go to a synagogue.

last question...... how far is punta cana and would we be able to party there even if we are not staying there
If you look at a map you will see that it would be like staying in NYC and going to a party in Washington, DC.

I think you need to search past threads to get a better understanding of what the DR has to offer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Belmont, thats not a pretty picture you're painting.

I think the Lads will figure out their holiday quite well.

The best advice you got, Lads, was to relocate from your current reservation - if possible - to a livelier location.

We go every November - the weather is fine - yes, it can rain, but that happens in any month.

Have fun.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Might sound contradicting but the Dominican Republic is a really terrible place for a 'lads holiday', unless you love watersports and can handle a full week of nothing else in Cabarete. Couples and singles seem to be more often the happier visitors. Playa Dorada is going to drive you nuts, I also don't reckon hiring motobikes for 8 of you, with them odds you WILL have a few bad experiences between you all.
For once I kind of agree that Punta Cana is a better option, I'd forget hanging with the Northcoast locals, that is also not a clever move.
I understand you probably booked Playa Dorada at a special price but I think if a 'lads holiday' is the same as what I know it to be, I'd get a refund and go elsewhere. Just my opinion, being a 'lads holiday'.

nate_director

Sep 16, 2011
the holiday is booked so i think we may just have to make do. I'm happy the resort area seems peacefull as im looking to relax after a long year @ work. thanks all for the advice but we will make it work.

any clubs you can recommend

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
the holiday is booked so i think we may just have to make do. I'm happy the resort area seems peacefull as im looking to relax after a long year @ work. thanks all for the advice but we will make it work.

Recommend, in Playa Dorada? No, I can't recommend anything in Playa Dorada, but like you say, you'll make do and find something to make you smile.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Playa Dorada Golf Club. Decent course when not flooded. Reasonable greens fees.

Seriously though, your best bet (especially if you are going with a big group to split the cost) is to hire one of the taxi drivers who has a van. One night have him take you east to clubs in Sosua and/or Cabarete, another night go to Puerto Plata or take a ride to Santiago. The cost of doing it this way is usually prohibitive, but if 6 or 8 are splitting the van, it will be afordable.

Stop by the taxi stand in front of your hotel and negotiate an hourly rate for an English speaking driver (most hotel drivers are) ahead of time. There is a sign with their official approved rates, but these are negotiable.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know why belmont and Anastacio have been so negative. I think you will have a great time. Re. clubs, if you go to Cabarete, just head for the beach and there is a line of different bars and discos.

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
We stayed at the Gran Ventana for our wedding (Nov 09) ... there are a couple places just outside the Gran Ventana (still in the Playa Dorada complex) that aren't all that bad for nights you don't want to venture too far from the resort. On resort, the show stage area became the disco, so nothing really happening on resort.

It's about a 1KM walk to the main road (turn right, don't go the way the bus probably came in), we walked it almost every day and caught a guagua or taxi from there ... it's a short ride to the Brugal rum factory or into Puerto Plata.

Sosua is in the opposite direction, about a half hour away ... Cabarete is 10-15 minutes further.

The Dominican baseball league will be going on by then ... that's an awesome time (I went to a party and a baseball game broke out!) ... it's an hour or so ride to Santiago (we hired a driver) ... I keep checking, waiting for the schedule to come out, I'm definitely going back for a game this November. Go Aguilas!

There's tons to do ... we never get bored and we go twice a year now

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I don't know why belmont and Anastacio have been so negative. I think you will have a great time. Re. clubs, if you go to Cabarete, just head for the beach and there is a line of different bars and discos.

I am not being negative, just realistic, DR is not a 'lads holiday' destination. For one the bars and clubs shut down at midnight through the week, Friday and Saturday 2am, ok you have one that stays open later sometimes in Sosua, where the only singe girls are whores (the guys don't want whores). This is not what I know as a 'lads holiday', try Ibiza or anywhere that pubs can stay open later than in the UK.
If they required something else then I might have said fine, the place is great, but I am getting the idea they want to laze all day and party all night, you can't do that here.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Playa Dorada Golf Club. Decent course when not flooded. Reasonable greens fees.

Seriously though, your best bet (especially if you are going with a big group to split the cost) is to hire one of the taxi drivers who has a van. One night have him take you east to clubs in Sosua and/or Cabarete, another night go to Puerto Plata or take a ride to Santiago. The cost of doing it this way is usually prohibitive, but if 6 or 8 are splitting the van, it will be afordable.

Stop by the taxi stand in front of your hotel and negotiate an hourly rate for an English speaking driver (most hotel drivers are) ahead of time. There is a sign with their official approved rates, but these are negotiable.

This is one of the best suggestions you've gotten. An English speaking Taxi Van driver on an hourly rate. One night in PP one night in Sosua and one in Cabarete club hopping would give you a nice tour of the various night life scenarios. In PP the Rancho Tipico is the best late at night on weekends. You could try the various Playa Dorada night clubs but they are very hit or miss. My bro is an English speaking van driver taxi dude, Elias 809-842-5557. Try him.
Girls in the PP clubs will be more normal, girls in Sosua 97% working girls, Cabarete a bit of both.

nate_director

Sep 16, 2011
Thanks all.

My main aim is to relax and relax i will. I think i will hire a driver and do those other places.

How much on average is the taxi going to cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.