Monthly internet costs?

M

Michael

Hello,

I'm considering relocating to the DR for more than a year in length and perhaps even become a resident. I just purchased the DR1 book about moving to Santo Domingo and I hope that covers most of what I'll need to know.

However, I use the internet a lot. I would like to know the cost schedule on a month to month basis for internet in the DR.

Is it a flat fee for unlimited access (God please!)?

What is the pay schedule?

E

Ellen

$400RD monthly (Codetel) for 60 hours monthly (but who is counting?)

N

Norman

I have been paying RD 300 pesos per month, and was just informed that codetel has reduced (yes, believe it or not, reduced!) the monthly charge to RD 275 pesos per month. There is a small extra charge if you exceed the allotment for local calls. Internet connection time counts as a local phone call. Getting your phone installed will be expensive, (over 4,000 pesos now I am told), because codetel was refused an increase in basic services monthly charge of 50 pesos. In order to improve revenues, they boosted installation charges. You will also need a guarantor who has a home phone in his/her name and a credit card. The above is for residential service, not business.

E

Ellen

Norman, where do you live? Someone is overcharging me! I am curious...

D

DR One

Codetel has reduced the Internet fee only for those using Internet very little, as the rate is now pegged on usage. The fee is RD$275 but there is a charge per minute used that by year's end will be RD$0.14 cents (about 1 US cent). The company wants people to sign on to the VIP plan, where for RD$440 a month you get unlimited calls, including Internet usage. In addition to the RD$440 you also need to pay the RD$275. I am not sure if you have to pay installation charges, previously RD$1,500, if you get a VIP plan. If you are a heavy Internet user, definitely get the VIP plan. Tried checking the Codetel web site (http://www.codetel.net.do), but couldn't find this info and when I called the 220-1111 information number, was put on line for several minutes, not being able to get an answer. But the above info will give you an idea for starters.