Starbucks!!!

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Oh why oh why did Starbucks open in Punta Cana?! I am not a fan, thier coffee tastes burnt, when
Dominican coffee is soooo good and they are so expensive! :tired:

May 29, 2006
There is a Starbucks in my local college town. The locally owned bagel shop a block away does five times as much business with better products, better service and better prices. The kids go to Starbucks for the free Wi-Fi, comfy chairs, and the quiet study area. I stopped going to Starbucks when they would loop the same album on their sound system day after day in an attempt to get people to buy the CDs they now sell. How they net the $15,000/month rent plus payroll year round is a mystery to me. For $1.75 for a cup of bitter coffee, I'll brew my own and save $500 a year.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I think they just proudly brew starbucks, it is my understanding it is not a true Starbucks. I could be wrong, I never have been inside the place, I just like the restaurant across from them called Duma. Stop in there next time! Great food!!

Aug 19, 2004
Oh why oh why did Starbucks open in Punta Cana?! I am not a fan, thier coffee tastes burnt, when
Dominican coffee is soooo good and they are so expensive!

I totally agree - this is so sad when the Dominican product is so much better. The problem is if you look on TripAdvisor people ask if Starbucks is available in Punta Cana - the company is everywhere and can distort the market leaving many people the impression that there product is real coffee.

What is needed is a Dominican company (Cafe Santo Domingo?) to set up a decent coffee chain but clearly Dominican to counteract this and give tourists a genuine experience.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I totally agree - this is so sad when the Dominican product is so much better. The problem is if you look on TripAdvisor people ask if Starbucks is available in Punta Cana - the company is everywhere and can distort the market leaving many people the impression that there product is real coffee.

What is needed is a Dominican company (Cafe Santo Domingo?) to set up a decent coffee chain but clearly Dominican to counteract this and give tourists a genuine experience.

London_Calling

London_Calling_Cobra_Boy re : Monte Alto coffee shop chain

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Monte Alto is one of the best coffees I have ever tasted, unfortunately enough they do not have the quantities, the manpower, the vision or the talent to do what you want them to do.

They do not even have the means to sell all over the island. Mind you... next time I am in Jarabacoa I will stock up...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I dunno............. I buy it in Cabrera at the local SuperMercado.
Seems to be available regularly - thank goodness!!

You're right - excellent coffee

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Monte Alto is one of the best coffees I have ever tasted, unfortunately enough they do not have the quantities, the manpower, the vision or the talent to do what you want them to do.

They do not even have the means to sell all over the island. Mind you... next time I am in Jarabacoa I will stock up...
We love this coffee, but it is not so readily available, wish it was,,,

OhMyGoodness

Sep 18, 2011

I suppose an enterprising Dominican or two could see an excellent opportunity in this thread?

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I think they just proudly brew starbucks, it is my understanding it is not a true Starbucks. I could be wrong, I never have been inside the place, I just like the restaurant across from them called Duma. Stop in there next time! Great food!!

There is no way someone could get away with this not being for real, the sign logo is definately real and they are too big not pursue sue sue sue sue!!! no matter where it is, its a typically nice coffee house with all the amenitites that they have in the us and canada. Didnt go in so I dont know if they serve Dominican coffee or not, sorry i cant stand Starbucks and this blew me away knowing what wonderful coffee is available here in the DR.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006

Monte Alto is the best by far.

May 29, 2006
Their website doesn't list the DR on the countries where it's available. I hear differing stories about copyright laws in the DR. Without an actual presence of Starbucks in the country, they may have a hard time pursuing a cease and desist order.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I bet the coffee @ Tarbux is actually better!
Thanks for the heads up for my lawyer friends.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
She got me once on a French phrase..... and I'm Canadian originally, I speak French...
But I blew this one and she slammed me

Take no enemies, that one. Or would that be prisoners ??

Wonderful - sadly missed

I hope you weren't slammed by my little jab :))