flights to puerto plata

May 17, 2011
I need some help on what the best method is to find the cheapest flights to pop. They seem to have gone up a lot since last year. I am from NJ and can fly from either newark or NYC. The airlines that offer non stop service in my area are jet blue and continential. American offers connecting service out of miami. I like to go about 2 or 3 times a year if i can. I am wondering if anyone knows a secret on how to get a good deal? How far in advance to book?

Santaigo is also an option but the taxi fare to puerto plata outweights the savings.

Could use some advice

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use Continental mainly, but JetBlue has a good following.

I find mid-week to be the cheapest and avoid any holiday times.

Historically, the slowest week of the year is the 10 days or so after New Years.
I'm flying then

Consider SDQ and then getting up to POP. Usually SDQ is cheaper

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Jet Blue out of JFK comes out with some great fares. Put in dates that interest you and they'll give you a week's view so you can see what the cheapest day of the week is - usually Wednesday has been my experience. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy two one ways than a round trip also.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Jet Blue's JFK-STI is an option and fares are often less. Capacity is much higher on this route than the JFK-POP route (between 5 and 7 flights a day, depending on the time of year) The overnight flights are usually cheaper, leaving NY around midnight and arriving in STI at the crack of dawn, then take the first bus from Santiago to the north coast.

Kelu

Aug 21, 2011
My advise is to check 3 times a day. I use www.bookingbuddy.com which allows you to view several different websites quickly. My favorite times to check are early morning and midnight. It is a bit time consuming but worth the effort as Fares can go up or down within hours. I pay attention to seat availability. If the plane is 40% empty then you have time to keep looking (within 2-3 weeks of your trip). Most airfares were over $500 over the summer and I kept looking. One morning I got lucky and purchased for 477.00. By the afternoon it was 560. The time you plan to go is important too, I find the cheapest month is October.
Enjoy POP!

edluv1

May 25, 2010
I usually fly to Santo Domingo. About $350RT from NY/NJ during the low season. Catch a cab from SDQ airport to the metro bus station (1000 pesos) then take the metro bus to puerto plata (360 pesos one way from santo domingo). Total cost about $386

You can fly to Santiago as another option. Cab ride from STI airport to the metrobus station cost 700 pesos. Metro bus from santiago to puerto plata cost 180 pesos one way

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Flying from the NYC area is still cheap. Be thankful. Many non-stop choices and flight times. It is the taxes at about $150 that sux.

Howzabout Spirit Air? I've found them always the cheapest to STI, but one arrives at 2 de la mananita. 2:00AM. If you have someone to pick you up it is worth it. Get on Spirit's email list and you'll get their almost daily sales. And one will hit at a round trip of less than $300.00

Spirit is great if you want to sit in a middle seat and travel with no luggage!!!

May 17, 2011
It seems that flights are much cheaper to sdq than to pop, plus more of a selection. I am going to look into that when it gets closer for me to go. I have a lot to consider. It's funny how I check a flight for tomorrow returning on saturday and I can go for 400 r\t from ewr. However when I check 6 months out that price is a lot more. I guess it goes by the time of the year. We shall see.