Expired temporary residency what to do

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
What is the procedure if your temporary residency has expired. A friend of mine let hers expire about 6 months ago. Does she have to start the process all over or is there just a renewal and penalty to pay?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The first time you apply for your permanent residency is practically the same process as to obtain your temporary residency. After that renewing your permanent residency is simple.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
What is the procedure if your temporary residency has expired. A friend of mine let hers expire about 6 months ago. Does she have to start the process all over or is there just a renewal and penalty to pay?

Provisional residencies are not renewable. You need to apply for your permanent residency, which, as mido said above, will have you go through the same process you went through to obtain your provisional residency.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
What is the cost if she does the process herself and will the documents on file be used for the permanent residency?

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
What is the cost if she does the process herself and will the documents on file be used for the permanent residency?

She would have to obtain all the documents again. Have her contact Guzman Ariza for more information re new documentation requirements and legal fees involved. Overall documentation requirements for the application vary depending on the attorney handling the case and whether or not she decides to do it on her own.

Deon22

Sep 26, 2011
She would have to obtain all the documents again. Have her contact Guzman Ariza for more information re new documentation requirements and legal fees involved. Overall documentation requirements for the application vary depending on the attorney handling the case and whether or not she decides to do it on her own.
Absolutely agree with u i have had the same experience and was looking for some short cut but meanwhile one of friend didnt let me do that it is very good to come in the proper way dont use short cut.........

ace

Apr 11, 2004

My son is Haitian born , it took 1 year to receive his temporary residents. It will expire Feb 2012. It was very difficult and expensive for me to get his original birth certificate form Haiti prior to the earthquake. When we filled our papers the Immigration keep his original birth certificate with all the documents filled. I expected to get it back once the residents was approved. When I asked the attorney for it once we received his ID she said Immigration keeps it in a warehouse and it's impossible to get back. Now that we are starting the renewal process she is requesting another original birth certificate. I asked if they already have the original why they want another one. Her response is that this is the process and she will gladly get me one for $150.00 . Is this normal ? My understanding is the 2nd temporary residents will be good for a few years then we can apply for a permanent one. If anyone has just renewed their temporary residents did you have to supply another original birth certificate ?

Thank you.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
What you're applying for now is the permanent residency. From then on, it'll be a piece of cake to renew (form, taxes and old residency). Unfortunately Immigration still doesn't understand that not all countries hand out birth certificates like candy.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
What you're applying for now is the permanent residency. From then on, it'll be a piece of cake to renew (form, taxes and old residency). Unfortunately Immigration still doesn't understand that not all countries hand out birth certificates like candy.

Thank you Kate.