Question for Super Super shoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hiya all,
We are returning to Sosua three weeks on Saturday and are getting our budget together. Ellie is a smoker and usually buys her ciggies by the 200 from Super Super. In May of this year they were around DOP 1043 for 200 Marlboro Menthol. If anybody is passing Super Super over the next few days we'd be much obliged if you could note the price of them and post it here. In fact, if anybody knows of a cheaper place to buy her much loved ciggies please feel free to post as well. We usually buy our duty free in the town as they are cheaper than the airport.
Thanks to all in advance & look forward to seeing some of you around Sosua on the 15th.

(Just realised I should have posted this in the North Coast forum, not the North East - Apologies)

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hiya all,
We are returning to Sosua three weeks on Saturday and are getting our budget together. Ellie is a smoker and usually buys her ciggies by the 200 from Super Super. In May of this year they were around DOP 1043 for 200 Marlboro Menthol. If anybody is passing Super Super over the next few days we'd be much obliged if you could note the price of them and post it here. In fact, if anybody knows of a cheaper place to buy her much loved ciggies please feel free to post as well. We usually buy our duty free in the town as they are cheaper than the airport.
Thanks to all in advance & look forward to seeing some of you around Sosua on the 15th.

(Just realised I should have posted this in the North Coast forum, not the North East - Apologies)

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Aren't Marlboro's in town Dominican made, while those in Airport Duty Free made in US?

First off, anything you buy in the airport will be a lot more than in Super Super. Second they will be the same as those in Super Super.

And all the smokers I know swear by the Marlboro's made with Dominincan tobacco over the US tobacco.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Tobacco blends are always made to the market. Several reasons for that, different taste in different countries and some ingredients used in the master blend are not allowed in some countries so P&D needs to find an alternative. Just a few of the reasons why a Marlboro does taste different in the US then in the DR.

Marlboro at Janets at 960 RDS.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I don't normally smoke in my life. But when I do, I like to smoke when I drink. I'll smoke Marlboro Lights.

There is definitely a taste difference between an American Marlboro Light and Dominican Marlboro Light. The Dominican one doesn't taste as good, and it's like a super light in strength. And it tends to dry my throat out much more.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'll tell you a lil' something about the cigarettes in the DR:

If you take a US made Marlboro and one made in the DR for the DR market (there are two distinct lines and not from the same line as many here think they do) using a machine to "smoke" the cigarette 100% (again just using a vacuum pump to pull air from the filter end), you'll end up with two very different amounts of not only nicotine levels but also other chemicals...

In the US and the line exported from the DR to their markets, they not only have the same amount and mixture of tobacco and chemicals, but also use a concentrating method to pack more nicotine in the primer mix using ammonia as a catalyst... This process adds an extra layer of expense to the cigarette making process, one that the local manufactures just opted to bypass in hope of savings (with real effects, given how that type ammonia is imported in the country for that industry sector) for the local line.

In simpler terms, the DR cigarettes are just a tad less damaging than their US and export market counterparts. Cancer from cigarette smoking in the DR is not as consistent per number of smokers, when compared to the US and export markets. DR cigarettes allow smokers to "taste" more the actual flavor of the tobacco with the less concentrated mix by the use of ammonia and energy required to have the catalysis occur. Think if you may, that DR cigarettes are like an addict suing cocaine and a US addict using crack cocaine... The effects of the natural narcotic in the cocaine are strong, but when a catalyst is used to turn it into crack cocaine the effects are amplified much more so. A cocaine addict could be your own dentist or broker, the crack cocaine addict is hard to miss and it will be close to impossible to hide.

DR smokers are well known to be able to quit smoking when they want to pause it, US smokers have a very hard time doing so, even for any short pauses...

But make no mistake about it, this had nothing to do with "caring" for the victims in the DR by the local tobacco industry and all about saving a buck at the end of the line... It just came out as a plus to the smokers here, that's all...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
A lot of products differentiate in taste according to the country. I hate pepsi in Belgium, here it is drinkable. A coke in Senegal, will be different to a coke in the US, and different again to a coke in Belgium.

You can get Belgian beer here, but there is no comparison to the same beer in Belgium.

Anyways, Super Super is a great place for your smoking materials and great prices for their liquor. On top of that, you will find liquors you find no place else.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Dominican cigarettes tend to 'snap, crackle and pop" as they burn, unlike their US equivalents. They are less homogenous in their mix and packing and get an uneven burn.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I'll tell you a lil' something about the cigarettes in the DR:

If you take a US made Marlboro and one made in the DR for the DR market (there are two distinct lines and not from the same line as many here think they do) using a machine to "smoke" the cigarette 100% (again just using a vacuum pump to pull air from the filter end), you'll end up with two very different amounts of not only nicotine levels but also other chemicals...

In the US and the line exported from the DR to their markets, they not only have the same amount and mixture of tobacco and chemicals, but also use a concentrating method to pack more nicotine in the primer mix using ammonia as a catalyst... This process adds an extra layer of expense to the cigarette making process, one that the local manufactures just opted to bypass in hope of savings (with real effects, given how that type ammonia is imported in the country for that industry sector) for the local line.

In simpler terms, the DR cigarettes are just a tad less damaging than their US and export market counterparts. Cancer from cigarette smoking in the DR is not as consistent per number of smokers, when compared to the US and export markets. DR cigarettes allow smokers to "taste" more the actual flavor of the tobacco with the less concentrated mix by the use of ammonia and energy required to have the catalysis occur. Think if you may, that DR cigarettes are like an addict suing cocaine and a US addict using crack cocaine... The effects of the natural narcotic in the cocaine are strong, but when a catalyst is used to turn it into crack cocaine the effects are amplified much more so. A cocaine addict could be your own dentist or broker, the crack cocaine addict is hard to miss and it will be close to impossible to hide.

DR smokers are well known to be able to quit smoking when they want to pause it, US smokers have a very hard time doing so, even for any short pauses...

But make no mistake about it, this had nothing to do with "caring" for the victims in the DR by the local tobacco industry and all about saving a buck at the end of the line... It just came out as a plus to the smokers here, that's all...

Ammonia is not used in tobacco blends. The blend is as it says a blend of different components but paper and filter also add to the whole design.
And for your information, the smoking machines used in the industry measure exactly the content of nicotine after a few more analytical methods used on the 'catched' nicotine. The machine does not just simply sucks a cigarette but it mimics the habit of a usual smoker (sucking, resting, sucking, resting) and catches the smoke on a filter. Bit more complicated then you explained.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Dominican cigarettes tend to 'snap, crackle and pop" as they burn, unlike their US equivalents. They are less homogenous in their mix and packing and get an uneven burn.

That is because they probably use here what is considered in the US 'fall off' meaning little pieces of stem of tobacco which are filtered out but some countries do not have the finer filters to do it.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Yes really. The tobacco blends are so complicated and well balanced that they do not need ammonia, not even in low tar cigarettes. The research has been done but never used.
Did you get that info. from the Big 4 tobacco CEOs who declared before Congress that smoking is neither addictive or dangerous?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Did you get that info. from the Big 4 tobacco CEOs who declared before Congress that smoking is neither addictive or dangerous?

No, from working as head of the laboratory of Product and Development of on of the 4 big ones and that is all I have to say about it.
Eventually this topic is about some body buying cigarettes from Super Super :classic:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Ammonia is not used in tobacco blends. The blend is as it says a blend of different components but paper and filter also add to the whole design.
And for your information, the smoking machines used in the industry measure exactly the content of nicotine after a few more analytical methods used on the 'catched' nicotine. The machine does not just simply sucks a cigarette but it mimics the habit of a usual smoker (sucking, resting, sucking, resting) and catches the smoke on a filter. Bit more complicated then you explained.

The anhydrous ammonia is used on ALL tobacco cigarette products in the USA, China, etc... That includes blended types, which in any case are nothing more than an oxymoron to the industry at large. The DR does NOT process the primer mix with petroleum based anhydrous ammonia sourced from the LA market or the Methane derivative from the US sourced market for the local lines! That's true 100%!!!

All others aimed at exports are treated 100% to the process!

As far as the "smoking" machines and what not, I simply made the example of a person carrying out the tests by simple means at home with easy to get stuff. The filters will be more than enough to provide evidence of the two by visual inspection alone...

Paper is nothing much of a vessel for the product, the filters are nothing out of this world and very, very simple as well...

Nicotine presence is easy to identify by the caramel coloring (tones, saturation) left behind on the tar captured by the filter. The more intense the amber to crimson, the more intense the nicotine presence in the tar left behind. Nicotine oxidizes the tar present on exposure to the oxygen in the air and the tone/saturation helps in visually telling how much concentration was present during the combustion during smoking. That effect is there due to how the nicotine own's miscibility allows the concentration to be increased on the primer mix of tobacco cigarettes when using the anhydrous ammonia as catalyst.

On Dominican cigarettes a lot of the nicotine is vaporized and burned during the combustion as smokers take a sucking, the rest goes to the filter and some of that into the lungs. In US aimed cigarettes/exports, the nicotine level on the tobacco used for the filler is greatly concentrated and the vapors will reach combustion point only at higher temperatures than normal with a non-anhydrous ammonia treated tobacco mixture. A DR cigarette will not only have less strength than a US one, but also last less in being fully burned as the combustion point is lower than the anhydrous ammonia treated tobacco primer mix.

I know a lot of Dominicans that smoke and when they travel to the US, they must pick the light or ultra light version of the regular cigarette brands they use in DR there. For a US smoker taking a puff from a regular box of DR cigarettes of their label brand in the US, feels exactly like smoking the light or ultra light versions of those here.

The chambers where they use the anhydrous ammonia for the primer mix looks like a overblown lab... The only thing they don't show you when you take a tour of the premises... I got to see it plenty of times as my uncle worked there for more than 25 years...

The treated tobacco smell is intense and overwhelming!

Thanks God they feel it's not worth the expense to treat the stock for local sales, on the basis of savings...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
The anhydrous ammonia is used on ALL tobacco cigarette products in the USA, China, etc... That includes blended types, which in any case are nothing more than an oxymoron to the industry at large. The DR does NOT process the primer mix with petroleum based anhydrous ammonia sourced from the LA market or the Methane derivative from the US sourced market for the local lines! That's true 100%!!!

All others aimed at exports are treated 100% to the process!

As far as the "smoking" machines and what not, I simply made the example of a person carrying out the tests by simple means at home with easy to get stuff. The filters will be more than enough to provide evidence of the two by visual inspection alone...

Paper is nothing much of a vessel for the product, the filters are nothing out of this world and very, very simple as well...

Nicotine presence is easy to identify by the caramel coloring (tones, saturation) left behind on the tar captured by the filter. The more intense the amber to crimson, the more intense the nicotine presence in the tar left behind. Nicotine oxidizes the tar present on exposure to the oxygen in the air and the tone/saturation helps in visually telling how much concentration was present during the combustion during smoking. That effect is there due to how the nicotine own's miscibility allows the concentration to be increased on the primer mix of tobacco cigarettes when using the anhydrous ammonia as catalyst.

On Dominican cigarettes a lot of the nicotine is vaporized and burned during the combustion as smokers take a sucking, the rest goes to the filter and some of that into the lungs. In US aimed cigarettes/exports, the nicotine level on the tobacco used for the filler is greatly concentrated and the vapors will reach combustion point only at higher temperatures than normal with a non-anhydrous ammonia treated tobacco mixture. A DR cigarette will not only have less strength than a US one, but also last less in being fully burned as the combustion point is lower than the anhydrous ammonia treated tobacco primer mix.

I know a lot of Dominicans that smoke and when they travel to the US, they must pick the light or ultra light version of the regular cigarette brands they use in DR there. For a US smoker taking a puff from a regular box of DR cigarettes of their label brand in the US, feels exactly like smoking the light or ultra light versions of those here.

The chambers where they use the anhydrous ammonia for the primer mix looks like a overblown lab... The only thing they don't show you when you take a tour of the premises... I got to see it plenty of times as my uncle worked there for more than 25 years...

The treated tobacco smell is intense and overwhelming!

Thanks God they feel it's not worth the expense to treat the stock for local sales, on the basis of savings...

Ah well, the all know Pichardo especially on your theory of the nicotine catalyst and on the paper used. Just let me say that we use to have a booklet of 105 different cigarettes for that factory (some same brands for different countries also) only and we had 87 different kinds of paper to use and the filters, mmm nope not going reveal that one...just saying.

What is your source anyway? ah yes the uncle...

btw...cigarettes are always made of a blend of different tobacco's and flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.