Temporary Residency Problems - Any Input?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hi all. I was trying to avoid asking for help about my temporary residency, but it seems the problems continue and I need to know if I'm being mislead at this point. I'm a U.S. citizen and supplied all of my temporary residency documents -- everything needed -- to a local attorney who came with a reference. However, that was in December. My sister also applied at the same time. We went to Santo Domingo and did the relevant health checks and then not too long ago had to go to Santiago to get our signatures witnessed. Now, even though the attorney said our files were approved and he instructed someone to pay the final fees, he said that our "file numbers" were confused with two Haitians. I'm very upset as I'm waiting to have my household goods shipped and for every month's delay, it costs me $US284.00.... Any input? Just more patience? Is there really a hugh backlog and messed up records? Or is my attorney jerking me around? Help? Judy

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
All I can say is to call your attorney daily! They did a lot of changes recently = which was, I think, a way for the attornies to get more money-- but changed some regulations and required apostiles of documents that did not require them before. AND your health tests and police things WILL EXPIRE and you will have to start the ENTIRE thing all over again.

Unfortunately, he probably has all your papers. And you probably have a contract with him stating that you will have to pay him no matter what. So if I were you, I would just say to him that if he gets it done before xx date that there is an extra $248 in it for him.

Money talks here.

I, too, used an attorney that was recommended by "a friend" and ended up paying $$$ just to get all my papers back from her.. so that I can start over again. With Guzman...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You can do a search in the Living forum for: Residency renewal problems

You will see that you are not alone.

Good luck.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Don't know if that's changed but you used to be able to use the receipt slip as proof that your residency process was initiated to ship your stuff down and get the corresponding tax exemption... that was about 2 years ago, might have changed since then but doesn't cost anything to ask! If you paperwork has been deposited, then your lawyer has the paper confirming that. Tell him you need for "x" and to send it to you by fax. That way you'll know if he's really done it too...

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
Residency abogados here seem to be able to invent a plethora of excuses for delays. My temporary residency only took 24 1/2 months for approval. It appears that my tiguere lawyer had a fight with a senior clerk, necesitating many delays and several return trips to Santo Domingo, always with a different excuse including health tests expiring). But normally you can expect 3 to 6 months elapsed from the time you file if everything is correct. Welcome to the D.R.