Shopping/eating in Costambar

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain2002

Mar 30, 2006
www.beyondthebeach.ca
We will be staying in Costambar from Jan 17 - Feb 16. We will probably do our first large shopping at Tropical or La Sirena, but where can we shop locally for fresh meat and veg?

Also any recommendations on eating at the beach or town?

Thanks.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Hi, there's a little convenience store where you can get fresh meat and produce... you'll pay a bit more than at Tropicale etc... but it's convenient. It's called the Jenny or Yenny market and it's right at the entrance of Costambar...they sell really good fresh bagettes and croissants etc... I used to shop there daily on my way to the beach and pick up something for dinnner on my way home. There's a little restaurant called Pascual on the beach... I've eaten simple food there, rice n beans and fried chicken etc... you can grab a cold beer and they'll serve you right on the beach. There's a hamburger place right across from the Jenny market and a variety of other restos in Costambar.... you'll pay tourist prices though compared to eating in POP. If you want good chicken, there's a rotisery chicken place outside the entrance to Costambar just beside the University called Provocon. I eat there all the time and they have happy hour on certain days where you buy one get one free on chickens... Enjoy your trip! Cheers...Shiraz.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I'm guessing that you're not getting too many replies because the answer is so obvious once you get to Costambar. I assume you haven't been here before! Yenny's market has just about anything you need and the prices are only a smidgen more than the major markets. And there are bunches of places on the beach and near the beach. I can recommend Catamaran. It's almost at the end of the beach but the prices are good and the food is very good. Paul is the owner and is on-site most of the time. He has a plate of the day for RD$150. If you want to get out of the actual community, there is a great (hidden) restaurant near La Roca and also just down the road in Cofresi is a great Mexican place. You won't go hungry! Enjoy.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
The hidden spot maybe be Los Tres Coco's. The food and ambiance are wonderful. Well worth a trip. Closed on Tuesdays and do not accept credit cards. Not for the budget minded. Just around the conner is Stephany and Natalia's they serve tasty pasta. Also in Cofresi you will find Chris & Maddy's and another spot on the beach who name has changed several times, was once Ahora. Costambar Monthly is local newsletter you may find helpful. It is available on line.

captain2002

Mar 30, 2006
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Actually judypdr, we have been going there for years, my first DR trip was 1989. Anyway thank you all for your replies, Costambar is central for a Dominican family we have known for years, so much so three of us are Godparents to their children. We usually are in Playa Dorado and we meet every year in Costambar. This year we have rented a condo to stay in, and just wanted some local expertise. We have been to a few beach restaurants/bars and a couple of stores in the past few years. Got to love the new road in...finally.

Thanks again.
Chris.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Costambar is full of bars which serve food throughout the day & into the evening, but there are only 4 or 5 dedicated restaurants.

Peter Green's next to the pharmacy 100 yards from the gate
Minerva's, opposite Peter Green's
Pizzeria Sole Mio which is signposted pretty well around town
The Restaurant at Las Rocas, about 100 yards past Sole Mio

We also have R&B Bakery on the golf course which serves food, breakfast & main's until 7pm. Their bread is great too!

It isn't expensive to eat out in Costambar, as a rule of thumb a restaurant meal - main course & a couple of drinks - works out at about RD500 a head or less. Bar food is proportionately cheaper as stated by judypdr earlier.

I hope this helps :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not sure why people are SHOCKED WHEN POSTS GO MISSING. When you go off on a rant of your own which has nothing to do with the topic it gets deleted.

May I suggest starting a thread in off topics forum and rant away when you feel the urge coming on

Dear mod, you can clean up my rant as well when you get to it.:classic:

captain2002

Mar 30, 2006
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Again, thank you to all who have answered my questions. I knew I could not get them answered on Debbie's so that is why I came here. After digging around with friends in the DR I now know who D'Arcy is and what his post was all about. Olly.... how can you accuse me of that? My questions were sincere and up front. Also I have sent you a PM, but you have not replied.......can you tell me why?
Thank you all.
Regards, Chris.
V.P.
Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation
www.beyondthebeach.ca

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, costambar isn't much :) the supermarket sells about everything plus some gringo stuff. they are open all sorts of hours and they will deliver if needed. there is a prarmacy in case of stomach or erection problems :)
close to the beach there is also a small colmado, your best shot at getting things late or on weekends.
we have a library attatched to the APC office.
few restaurants mentioned above.

as far as annac question: costambar is very close to POP. if needed one can walk (about an hour to the city centre). 5-15 minutes by car, depends on the traffic and your driving style :) just outside the gate you can get a carrito publico that takes you to the city, about 30 pesos now, i would say. you can also walk all the way to the main road and take a larger guagua, 25 pesos. a motor from the city should be about 100 pesos.

main street is nicely fixed. there is an emergency unit there in case you need it. opposite the emergency, in the shade, there are food stalls: fresh fruits and coconuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.