Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First visit to DR... Request for assistance

Post Thanks / Like

Cool First visit to DR... Request for assistance

Hello, first time poster here. traveling to Puerto Plata and staying in Sosua area mid October 2011.
    can anyone give me a recomendation regarding fishing guide?
    also, would you suggest renting a car for the 2 weeks we are there, or are taxis innexpensive enough to just use them?
    for example, from airport to Sosua... what would the taxi fare be roughly?
    and.... if any of you have other suggestions for first time visitors to Puerto Plata and area, i am all ears.
    we are not new to the Carribean, Mexico ect but have not been to DR before and hoping to make some plans in advance.
    thank you very much. Jimmy

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would discourage you renting a car. In Sosua you can walk or motochoncho most places and Taxis aren't going to break the bank. You can also get guagua's or a bus for side trips. Renting a car can be a tragic mistake for those who aren't familiar with the DR.
    Taxi POP to Sosua $25 at the airport.
    Plan to spend lot's of time at the Playa Sosua (beach) and day trip or evening trip to Cabarete. There are lots of bars/discos and working women in them in Sosua. Good restaurants as well.
    Polishing up on your basic Spanish would be helpful.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Change your dollars and use pesos when buying things (except the taxi from the airport).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what I suggest. Sosua, puerto plata and cabarete are so close that you can do without having a taxi because most places are within walking distance. Cabarete would be my first choice to recommend if you haven't make any reservation yet as you can find decent beach front hotel for a fare price for around 80.00US per nights or you can just get the weekly rates instead of paying per night.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JuanDolioLiving View Post
    . Sosua, puerto plata and cabarete are so close that you can do without having a taxi because most places are within walking distance. .
    That is one hell of a walk. You can walk within Sosua or Cabarete fairly easily, but not between them and certainly Puerto Plata is too large to walk within or to the others.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

IF you are going to get a car, get it from the airport. It'll be cheaper. If you come to Sosua, stop by Cafe Cubano. They have good food and good service. Also stop by Rumba Bar and El Flow. They don't have gringo prices like most places. Another good place to stop by is El tipico Alberto grill for good Dominican food. Britanica is also a nice little bar to stop by. Taxi from POP to Sosua is about $20 to $25. It should take you about 15 minutes to get to El Batey.

Hey, have a great time!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDman View Post
    IF you are going to get a car, get it from the airport. It'll be cheaper. If you come to Sosua, stop by Cafe Cubano. They have good food and good service. Also stop by Rumba Bar and El Flow. They don't have gringo prices like most places. Another good place to stop by is El tipico Alberto grill for good Dominican food. Britanica is also a nice little bar to stop by. Taxi from POP to Sosua is about $20 to $25. It should take you about 15 minutes to get to El Batey.

Hey, have a great time!!
    If you have any other questions, Tony has all the answers.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canuck man View Post
    can anyone give me a recomendation regarding fishing guide?
    Marlin Sportcenter: 809-552-1130 & 809-552-1124. I've used them for deep sea fishing way back in 2009, they were great. www.marlinsportcenter.com
    Last edited by Taino808; 09-22-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a guide I send to my renters, . if you e-mail me at mrmurfsurf@gmail.com I will send it to you. Lots of good info

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

rent a car travelocity.com $25 a day. Booking online is usually 60% cheaper then just showing up. There's only one highway along the north coast, if you get lost you shouldn't be driving! Motoconchos are dangerous and guaguas and transporte are limited at night between the 3 towns. Plus you'll have the freedom to travel where ever and whenever you want. Be sure the horn works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast