First visit to DR... Request for assistance

canuck man

Sep 21, 2011
Hello, first time poster here. traveling to Puerto Plata and staying in Sosua area mid October 2011.
can anyone give me a recomendation regarding fishing guide?
also, would you suggest renting a car for the 2 weeks we are there, or are taxis innexpensive enough to just use them?
for example, from airport to Sosua... what would the taxi fare be roughly?
and.... if any of you have other suggestions for first time visitors to Puerto Plata and area, i am all ears.
we are not new to the Carribean, Mexico ect but have not been to DR before and hoping to make some plans in advance.
thank you very much. Jimmy

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I would discourage you renting a car. In Sosua you can walk or motochoncho most places and Taxis aren't going to break the bank. You can also get guagua's or a bus for side trips. Renting a car can be a tragic mistake for those who aren't familiar with the DR.
Taxi POP to Sosua $25 at the airport.
Plan to spend lot's of time at the Playa Sosua (beach) and day trip or evening trip to Cabarete. There are lots of bars/discos and working women in them in Sosua. Good restaurants as well.
Polishing up on your basic Spanish would be helpful.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
That is exactly what I suggest. Sosua, puerto plata and cabarete are so close that you can do without having a taxi because most places are within walking distance. Cabarete would be my first choice to recommend if you haven't make any reservation yet as you can find decent beach front hotel for a fare price for around 80.00US per nights or you can just get the weekly rates instead of paying per night.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
. Sosua, puerto plata and cabarete are so close that you can do without having a taxi because most places are within walking distance. .
That is one hell of a walk. You can walk within Sosua or Cabarete fairly easily, but not between them and certainly Puerto Plata is too large to walk within or to the others.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
IF you are going to get a car, get it from the airport. It'll be cheaper. If you come to Sosua, stop by Cafe Cubano. They have good food and good service. Also stop by Rumba Bar and El Flow. They don't have gringo prices like most places. Another good place to stop by is El tipico Alberto grill for good Dominican food. Britanica is also a nice little bar to stop by. Taxi from POP to Sosua is about $20 to $25. It should take you about 15 minutes to get to El Batey.

Hey, have a great time!!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
IF you are going to get a car, get it from the airport. It'll be cheaper. If you come to Sosua, stop by Cafe Cubano. They have good food and good service. Also stop by Rumba Bar and El Flow. They don't have gringo prices like most places. Another good place to stop by is El tipico Alberto grill for good Dominican food. Britanica is also a nice little bar to stop by. Taxi from POP to Sosua is about $20 to $25. It should take you about 15 minutes to get to El Batey.

Hey, have a great time!!

If you have any other questions, Tony has all the answers.

sandwichboard.jpg

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
rent a car travelocity.com $25 a day. Booking online is usually 60% cheaper then just showing up. There's only one highway along the north coast, if you get lost you shouldn't be driving! Motoconchos are dangerous and guaguas and transporte are limited at night between the 3 towns. Plus you'll have the freedom to travel where ever and whenever you want. Be sure the horn works!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
rent a car travelocity.com $25 a day. Booking online is usually 60% cheaper then just showing up. There's only one highway along the north coast, if you get lost you shouldn't be driving! Motoconchos are dangerous and guaguas and transporte are limited at night between the 3 towns. Plus you'll have the freedom to travel where ever and whenever you want. Be sure the horn works!

And if you follow this advise, be sure to take out the FULL Insurance at about $30 per day and whatever you do, do not get into an accident! You risk being detained and financially drained.
Take Taxis' or other public transport, you're much better off.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
We just got back last week from DR we rented from Alamo in POP thru carrentals.com for 5 days us $211.71 got their liabilty ins and had full coverage from chase card. Driving was'nt too bad you get to do the things you can't do in the states enjoy have fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
We just got back last week from DR we rented from Alamo in POP thru carrentals.com for 5 days us $211.71 got their liabilty ins and had full coverage from chase card. Driving was'nt too bad you get to do the things you can't do in the states enjoy have fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
You may have had full coverage from your chase card, but that is't going to help you here because they are going to lock you up until payment is guaranteed. Always have Casa de Conductor coverage.

canuck man

Sep 21, 2011
wow.. thanks everyone.

i really appreciate the info. has anyone taken a trip from Puerto Plata to Turks & Caicos?
if so, i am intertested in any details or info u may have.
i am from Vancouver and if any of you ever want info on what to do and see here, i would be happy to assist.

canuck man

Sep 21, 2011
thanks everyone.. been here for almost 2 weeks and love it.
just wondering if any of you know if their is a decent duty free store inside the airport.
if not, or its expensive, do you have other suggestions for duty free returning to Canada from POP?
Jim

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Your out of luck on the duty free....it's lousy at this airport. Are you leaving soon or do you still want info on fishing? If so, PM me and I'll call you with some info.

canuck man

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks... i suppose we will just buy Rum at the local Mercado.
i went fishing 2 times with a company from Sosua Beach near the glass bottom(n) boat.
the "big cheese" is named Charley. if anyone wants a review just ask.
leaving tomorrow back to reality...... sucks but 15 days is a good length vacation.
i learned alot as we had a private friend, taxi driver, tour guide...... he is a friend of our friends at home.
although many of you may think i am naive... he's a super guy and trustworthy family man.
i would recomend him to anyone.
PS... Pardise Island, Monte Christi and the beach there are 100% worth the 2.5 hour drive through the countryside.
i would be more than happy to offer any comments and send a photo or 2 if anyone is interested.
take care everyone... i will return (since my cousin owns this amazing condo)
Jim

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
If you rent be careful before assuming that your US insurance will cover you in the RD....which is not the case with many US carriers.