Marranzini got fed up!!!! (Hey! That light bulb is so convenient! LOL)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For those of you living under a rock, Celso Marranzini is the head of the electricity corporation. In this video (in Spanish), he tells how one of his daughters, with tears on her eyes, practically asked him to forget about the people of this country. She said that after reading various insults that many Dominicans (and who knows, maybe an expat or two) directed to him for the electricity problems.

And, well, I haven't seen Marranzini like this before...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZOvc0WjLPxw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those of you that don't pay your electricity bill... now you know what you are! LOL :eek:gre:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You got to admire the guy. He has balls. And he is right!! 100% right. If only the government had the balls he has, we would be paying a lot less for out electricity and we would be able to kiss most of our generators goodbye!

You must remember that fewer than 800,000 pay for electricity. There are way over a million consumers (people, businesses and some industries) that pay nothing for electricity.

Remember, when they discovered that the government could not install electric meters in the Barrios and the government decided to assign a fixed, ridiculously low ( 200 pesos or so) rate for ANY ONE in the barrio, thousands of small shops flooded in and set up shop. Welders, wood workers, salons, small metal workers and such took over the back yards and paid no electricity!

Now they can't do anything because there are elections in 9 months...we are trapped.

I wish Marranzini all the best.

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The theft of electricity and the lack of the governments balls to control it has an effect on every product and service in this country. All of us pay extra for it each and every day. The fact that it is an election year has become a tired old excuse as to why the problem still exists. It doesn't get fixed before, after or during an election year. The problem has become deeply seated in the corrupted scenario that is the Dominican Government, no matter what party is in charge there is no will to fix it.

Marranzini is like the Captain of the Titanic, with the exception that he knows his ship will hit an ice berg and sink before he even leaves port.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Admirable statement. Everyone I know and all the commentaries I read show great respect for Marranzini and accept that he has a very difficult task in the face of all the conflicting interests. Who would call him a cabr?n on Twitter? Only someone who's been caught for electricity fraud.