And I'm here...! (Carpentry / General Contracting)

_Zee_

Sep 24, 2011
So my wife and I moved down here a couple of months back (Cabrera) and we are all set up now and both working, but I thought I'd take the time to offer my services to any one that has need of them:

John: There is an advertizing section here on DR1 as well as an employment section. I am sure that on one of these sites you can advertize your talents. Or, get one of your satisfied customers to tell all about you. Self promotion is sort of frowned upon. Besides on the advertizing section you can put up examples of your work and other details, such as e-mail addresses.

Last edited by a moderator:

_Zee_

Sep 24, 2011
Erhm......

So my post was edited for what reason exactly? Just curious. I mean, I understand that there is an ad section and all, but I truly don't feel like paying for an ad on a site which I haven't a clue of the traffic per day.

You're not allowed to post services or products for sale on DR1 unless you're a paying advertiser, no exceptions. We are bigger than all the others combined. 15,000+ daily visitors, 915,000+ posts (250+ daily) etc etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
_Zee_ live and learn. DR1 is a business and to advertise you need to pay.

Question: Did you do any research into what the market would be like for your services before you moved to Cabarera?
I think we might have one or two members that live there, but it is not exactly a place I would expect would have demand for your work, but best of luck with that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't think you will make the money you would like in carpentry because there are so many here but there is a lot of fat in the GC area such as building homes.

The challenge for you probably would be to hook up with a good design team assuming you want to go legal which would entail a civil engineer/architect, structural engineer, electrical engineer and mechanical engineer(plumbing). This is of course assuming you are fluent in Spanish, which means you actually understand what the locals are saying and they understand you too. If not expect lots of problems and delays. Then there are the inspectors/reviewers who would find Western brash mannerisms offensive to the point of costing someone a lot of money.'

BTW, I'm a engineer working in this area here in the DR and the US.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
_Zee_

There is a magnanimous, benevolent, caring and charitable expat by the name of Scott living in Cabrera. I'm sure once he finds out you are living in town he will offer his services to help you make a small fortune in the DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
_Zee_

There is a magnanimous, benevolent, caring and charitable expat by the name of Scott living in Cabrera. I'm sure once he finds out you are living in town he will offer his services to help you make a small fortune in the DR.

Rumour has it, he is building a children's dental clinic with his own funds, perhaps he can use a good carpenter?

_Zee_

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for the replies and emails so far...

I did some research before coming down here yes, and I wasnt overly worried about work so much (or lack thereof) in my experiences in life, there are always room for honest / hardworking people. I use the term carpenter pretty loosely as it generally lets people know what I do, but I have experience with everything from electrical to plumbing etc etc, I won't get into it too much but you get the idea.

This Scott sounds like a great guy, thanks for the information on him, I'll see if I can locate him in the greater Cabrera area and see what he's all about.

Anyhow, this was mainly just to let anyone know who I was and get some ideas. Thanks guys!

John

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
_Zee_!!!! This Scott sounds like a great guy, thanks for the information on him, I'll see if I can locate him in the greater Cabrera area and see what he's all about. They were kidding you.. They were playing you. Do not pay attention to them.

This will take a bit of time but you need to see who is building what and where. Then you can maybe get some work. But remember Dominican "carpinters" and Dominican "plumbers" and Dominican "electricians" work for a lot less than you can live on and they are your competition, especially on the beach.

Now if you were to install yourself in a large city, like Santo Domingo or Santiago where there is a fair number of projects going on all the time, then you might see more action. JMO.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I did some research before coming down here yes, and I wasnt overly worried about work so much (or lack thereof) in my experiences in life, there are always room for honest / hardworking people.

I include myself in that category but the DR isn't the US or canada. I'm a civil engineer living here in the DR for 5+ years and have generated very little income. I am also somewhat fluent in the language but the problem for me is competition and the perception that gringos charge more money for the same services not to mention the recession and concept of the "cu?a". Also, Dominicans are somewhat impatient with non native Spanish speakers unless of course they are selling something.

Also, seeing how you haven't addressed the language issue I can only assume you don't speak the language. Therefore, I would highly recommend you maintain your job and connections wherever you are now and come to the DR on a temporary basis and try to make contacts and work. Since apparently you don't speak the language you will have to focus on the tourist areas. Maybe you can get involved in the aforementioned resort project. Nonetheless, there will be a great deal of competition because we too are in a recession here.

_Zee_

Sep 24, 2011
I include myself in that category but the DR isn't the US or canada. I'm a civil engineer living here in the DR for 5+ years and have generated very little income. I am also somewhat fluent in the language but the problem for me is competition and the perception that gringos charge more money for the same services not to mention the recession and concept of the "cu?a". Also, Dominicans are somewhat impatient with non native Spanish speakers unless of course they are selling something.

Also, seeing how you haven't addressed the language issue I can only assume you don't speak the language. Therefore, I would highly recommend you maintain your job and connections wherever you are now and come to the DR on a temporary basis and try to make contacts and work. Since apparently you don't speak the language you will have to focus on the tourist areas. Maybe you can get involved in the aforementioned resort project. Nonetheless, there will be a great deal of competition because we too are in a recession here.

Chip,

I do actually speak the language, though not 100% fluent, I can understand it all.

My goal in life wasn't to come down here to make a ton of money and life the good life, my goal was to come here with my little family, enjoy life, make what we need to get by (suprisingly little - I'm very anti consumerism) and just be happy.

Anyhow, WW, I'm going to be going with the advice you emailed me. Thanks alot for that. And as I had said in my original post (pre editing) I have already started working down here, I just wanted to let people know I was always on the look out for more projects and such.

Thanks again for all the replies - save the ones re: scottthewonderperson.

John

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,

I do actually speak the language, though not 100% fluent, I can understand it all.

My goal in life wasn't to come down here to make a ton of money and life the good life, my goal was to come here with my little family, enjoy life, make what we need to get by (suprisingly little - I'm very anti consumerism) and just be happy.

Anyhow, WW, I'm going to be going with the advice you emailed me. Thanks alot for that. And as I had said in my original post (pre editing) I have already started working down here, I just wanted to let people know I was always on the look out for more projects and such.

John

Just to let you know I'm not looking for the good life here either. In fact I'd be perfectly happy generating US1000 a month. Nonetheless, it has been difficult.

If you have landed work be grateful. Generally subcontractors make little money unless they have a skill that few other have and that would be a rare thing for most subcontractors in the construction field here. The exceptions are those that have their own heavy equipment.

My advice would be to develop the lead you already have and work it from that end because just jumping into the DR market and assuming it would be easy to win contracts would more than likely not have the results you'd expect. Finally, if you have capital you could buy property and develop it. There is generally a very heavy markup with over 100% not uncommon in the tourist areas but with this depressed market it could take months or even years to sell.

Suerte

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Chip,

John

Keep in touch , John.

Let me know how it turns out.