Big storm hits Santiago this afternon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Weather people said that there would be some rains, but nothing like this one. This one was one of those "cloud busters", a real thunder and lightning, with violent wind gusts and for the first time in a really long time in this area, hail stones, about marble-sized, came down on Santiago.

Lights flickered on and off, raising cane with the automatic transfer switches. And, of course the streets are flooded.

Have yet to hear about flooding, but there will be a lot of it in the ca?adas where a lot of people live. Somewhere some trees have to have come down, on what I do not know, but this was by far the most violent storm of the year, of several years, really.

Now it is Navarrete's turn and then Mao....and Esperanza....as it moves away. The rains have been going on for an hour now, and the hail came at just 3:00 p.m.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have one of a hailstone and there are maybe ten dents in one of the cars. My son said that some of the hailstones were "golfball sized!" With a few expletives added...if you know what I mean. A lot of cars in Santiago and the area will have damage.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From the color of the sky and the thunder and lightening, the storm was expected to hit Sosua about 5pm. But never arrived.

One of our maintenance men said that despite the signs of an oncoming storm that he was sure we would get little if any .rain. He noted that bad weather coming from the direction of Cabarete brings a lot of rain to Sosua, while weather coming from the direction of Santiago/Puerto Plata usually does not.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is possible that there were some small twisters going on. The hail made me think of that, especially when my son told me of the golf ball sized hail...that takes a powerful updraft to make that size! So you are probably correct. We'll see when a lot more reports are in..

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
dammit, I didn't park my car under the roof, I bet i have hail damage by now. I will find out when I go back to santiago this friday.
AZB

Update:
what a miracle, The owners of the house were painting the house so they had my car covered with thick plastic car cover. My car, didn't suffer anything at all. thanks god.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sounds like my mate has seriously damaged his car. He went to Santiago today and got stuck in a flash flood on Estrella Sadhalla. His CRV was swamped. Water in the engine, electrics and interior. It even flooded his laptop which he had on the passenger seat.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The dogs howled and the littlest cried with her hands over her ears but no damage done, gracias a Dios. La Estrella Sadhala and la 27 is always a disaster during a big rain.

May 29, 2006
I can only imagine being under a tin roof with hail pounding down on it. What a racket it must have been...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Racket> ? You have no idea. At the offices next door, their A/C ducts are outside and not under cover...That was what tipped me of as to the hail. The employees were all up and watching outside, because they had never seen hail before. I tell you, for many this was a once in a lifetime experience.

And reports show serious flooding a bit later. See Diario Libre and other papers for more information.

HB

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I left the big Ochoa just behind the 27th of Feb at 3:30 pm going back to Puerto Plata up the 27th of Feb big traffic jams lots of ran. I'm not that familiar with the street names in Santiago only places but big flooding right at the bottom of the hill where the Jumbo plaza is and again just past the McDonald's on the 27th heading towards Puerto Plata lots of cars stalled out I didn't see hail though.