Can you home this dog?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
IMG00004-20110609-1617 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG00124-20110626-1207 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

OK so thankyou for looking and let me tell you a little bit about this little doggy.
She has had a very bad start in life, she was separated from mum a little early and managed to pick up a skin problem that we have worked on to rid of and have succeeded. If you see the difference in the photos you will see what she can be and what she was. Unfortunately this condition returned a few weeks ago and I we are treating her again. This is only usual for the younger days of the dogs life, she just had her first heat and so we presume she is 6 months old, so still a puppy. We are right now treating her again as her hair has fallen out again, but like I said, you can see what she can be with a little love and care.
The dog is very effectionate, very much a snuggle dog, she always needs to have a cuddle and she deserves it. She loves to run crazy for 10 minutes every morning when we open the garden doors and then she just comes back in and wants more cuddles. Children are crazy about her, I expect because of her small size and cuteness but I dunno if very young kids are great for her, once they are past the pulling and poking stage I expect she will be fine, I mention this as this dog really deserves a good loving home.
She is fantastic with other animals, curious but very gentle and she snuggle down with the big dog every night, more cuddles:)
And so I can send more photos or whatever info you like. I would like to see this treatment through with her, I expect it will last a week, but I would love to find her a loving home as soon as I can.
Can anyone help?

You can actually flick through the photos on the Flickr account without opening each one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I'm interested if you could send me more info. and what exactly is the skin problem this dog has?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I had her to the Vets and her skin tests done and this is what they said, Demodex canis mite creates demodicosis, or demodectic mange. This milder rash mostly attacks puppies, as their developing immune system can't handle the same mites as their mother. The symptoms, like most types of mange, are itchiness and patches of bare skin. The majority of puppies grow out of demodicosis as they reach adolescence.

I see no suffering from her and infact she is not that affected by the problem, as you can see I make her wear a tshirt to protect her skin from the sun (she has various colours), but most days she just follows me around, everywhere. It will be heat breaking to let her go, but when I took her on my intention was to get her well and then find a good loving home for her, give her the chance she deserves. She is a tough little nut, absolutely full of funny character, she makes us giggle all day with obsession of following us to the toilet, in the bedroom, she tries to get into bed with us every night but she is so small she can't make it. She kind of talks in some language, when she gets excited she sounds like a little gremlin, I think that is when you fall in love with her.
She loves to sit outside but she would require a boundary as she is very inquisitive and without a doubt a passing motorcycle would pick a dog like this up in a heartbeat.
She is a small Chihuahua type, but you can see very pretty and she doesn't do the shaking thing, she is quite confident when she knows she is loved. She shook at first with us but once she knew she was in loving hands she stopped.
I don't know the exact kind of home I want for her, As long as the persons or family are very loving and won't keep her like a dog, she needs to be part of the family, I couldn't allow her to be a balcony dog, I'd rather keep her.
What other info would you like?
Could I ask about your situation? I would not like her to go to someone who is not settled here, she needs stability and a permanent home and if someone should leave then at least be in a position to take her with you.

Thankyou.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
I'm living in santiago, I've been living here for 2 years and I plan to stay. about how big is this dog? I currently have a dog, she is not very big and she likes other dogs.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The dog is very small, (I was told by the vet she is the size of a number 1.5 Chihuahua if that means anything to you, 0 is smallest then they go up to 3 or 4, apparently). I shall try to email you for some more info.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I do love the chi's here, at least here they get the chance to develop their true character which is lovely btw and are not turned into little dolls who need to be carried around and be dressed up.

Cute! Sure some body will come along to take this little one in if you not already have fallen too much in love with her to depart from ;)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Unfortunately I am bumping this thread on the consideration that possibly the person we decided to home the dog with does not have the motivation required to look after her, only being as it is almost 3 weeks and they are yet to pick her up. I was confident but we are losing confidence by the second. It is a shame as we have turned away people who would have made perfectly good parents for her, but this DR1 member seemed even better, on email.
Anyway, I'm bumping this up, if you can not collect her please do not reply.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Anyway, officially up for adoption again from someone who can collect!

Fingers crossed this time for the pup!!

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I have a twin to this sweet puppy.. Is the skin rash contagious to other dogs? I would be happy to take her. We love our sweet little girl, and I think this one is as spoiled as ours. She has a few dresses that she doesn't mind prancing around in. Ours is a size 1 chihuahua.

If she is still available we'd love to spoil her, and I think our sweetie would love the company. We had her sister, but her sister passed away, she was born sick.. The one we have though is very healthy.. her sister passed away about 3 months ago. My chihuahua is 7 months.

Jen

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Sounds wonderful, no the skin condition is not contagious, see post 3 above it explains it all. This puppy is now 7 months old which is quite ironic, she passed her first heat over a month ago, maybe 6 weeks now, not sure time has flown lately. We have another dog and they sleep together and she has shown no signs of any issues, and so I am positive it is as the vet says and she will grow out of it and not contagious. Infact her hair is now on its way back again and the Vet tells us he expects this not to happen again as she is so fit and healthy (I was feeding her red meat raw to build up her immune system and she already gets pork and chicken daily anyway), unlike when we took her on, very poor condition. She is fine and as I have said, if for any reason at all, ever, even a year down the line you decide you do not want to, or can not carry on with her, we will take her back. Even if you need to leave yours while you go on vacation, you can leave them in safe hands with us rather than kennel them. It is always a win win situation and no one is obligated to anything, the only thing that is important to us is the the dog has a great quality of life, nothing else.

All we want is for this little dog to find a home that will spoil her as much as we enjoy doing so, she really deserves it, she is a treasure.
PM for more info and I'd like to ask a few questions also.
Thanks.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If there is any interest please keep interested and ask away, nothing is agreed with anyone yet, and after the experience we had with the first person we considered we know now to keep options open until it actually happens. It is amazing that such a dog is taking so much effort to find interest in people (well suitable people), people usually scream out for such amazing little fellows. Obviously we won't let her go to just anyone but I am surprised, maybe just luck of the draw.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Demoticosis is not contagious if anybody had or has any doubts about it, and this little dog has recuperated beautiful from it thanks to the good care of the OP who found her.
Good job!

Acira

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
She's really a cutie. Can I ask why you're looking for a new home for her?

Hi, yes, it was never our intention to keep her. She was breaking our hearts as she was in such bad condition and she would have died if we did not take her on. All we wanted to do was save her life and get her healthy and then search for a family deserving of her. While I have been battling the hair condition it took a little while longer as with vet visits and medication to boost her immune system I have thought it best to keep her in her secure zone with me where comfortable and not stress her by rehoming her during any treatment. She finished the treatment a while back and is in great health now, the vet is very happy with her and confident that is the end of it, she is in great health, and her hair is on its way back completely now so things are good, well great.
Although we have fallen in love with her it is not realistic to keep her as we have so much going on at times, I work out of the country several months of the year and my wife has enough on her plate, generally she can't haul a little dog around with her everywhere when I am out of the country as she doesn't drive. But like I said, our intention was never a permanent situation.
And so although I hate to do it and would love to keep her, it is not fair on her to keep her, she can't get the deserved affection when I am not about.
As stated above this wil be done on trial, any problems or if she simply does not settle or you change your mind and we would want her back to arrange alternative arrangements, I wouldn't want someone to take her and then pass her on, her future is very important to us. And so the right people are very important also.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I didn't have any plans on getting a third dog but I must admit that I'm a sucker for a cutie-face like her. My only challenge right now is that I have to travel for a week at the end of November and am currently trying to find someone willing to care for my Rottie and Chihuahua for those days so I can avoid sending them to the vet's. Where do you live? (don't recall reading it in your posts but I might simply be blind...)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Not the correct time for Kate to be taking on another dog at this exact moment and so still searching for the time being.