Restaurants Santiago

alaska1986

Hello all I was looking for some romantic and just generally good restaurants in Santiago that dont necessarily have to break the bank. I'd prefer they be within walking distance of my hotel Jardines

I've got Camp David and Pez dorado for dinner on the list for our weekend, from what I understand they are not walking distance, but are must-eat kinda places so I believe they are worth the price.

Anything for lunch or breakfast would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To the left of Supermaket Nacional at the end of the block is a good Italian Restaurant. I forgot the name, but the food is good and the price is right. It is in a large house on the end of the block. You can walk there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your breakfast is included in your room price. If you want something different, say bacon and eggs with toast, juice and coffee, just walk up that street to where the above mentioned Italian restaurant is, then down the "hill" to the Central Supermarket. They have an all night cafeteria and their breakfasts are pretty good IMO.

There are 20 restaurants near your hotel. Everything from Suchi to Salami...whatever it is, it is right there. use the search function for opinions.

HB

Circibana

Sep 14, 2011
Alaska,
I think you should stay in Camp David. The rooms are very nice and the food is pretty good. The view of the city up there is wonderful.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Everything from Suchi to Salami....

HB
Sounds like an interesting combo. This weekend, in addition to Boston, California and Dragon Rolls, I'm going to make Salami Rolls. Nori, rice, salami and mustard/wasabi. I'll call it a Hillbilly Roll.

alaska1986

Thanks all for your input. Although there may be restaurants all around my hotel, I didnt have the name of any good ones. Also if you search for "restaurants" in this forum you get posts from years ago, those places could likely be closed.

I dont know about staying the entire time @Camp David and circibana you only have 5 posts lol..which leads me to wonder.

Hillbilly and others have strongly suggested Hotel Jardines and I can see why. Maybe I'd consider a night at Camp David.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Sounds like an interesting combo. This weekend, in addition to Boston, California and Dragon Rolls, I'm going to make Salami Rolls. Nori, rice, salami and mustard/wasabi. I'll call it a Hillbilly Roll.

Somehow a salami roll being named for HB does not equate...... lol

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello,

Marisco Centro near the monument is one of the best restaurants I have been to in my life, regardless of country, and for the quality of food/atmosphere is relatively cheap. In my opinion, much, much better than Pez Dorado, and cheaper. Super romantic tables outside.

victoria stiles

Aug 16, 2011
Santiago has a bustling nightlife.Here you will find many fine restaurant with delicious local Dominican food and bars playing local Caribbean songs.Fracifol Baris a very classy bar in Santiago. Though drinks are quite expensive, you will not regret spending your time in this bar.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A bad note on Marisco center. A good friend and colleague just spent a long period of really bad food poisoning after eating there.
While this is not usual, it is one of the reasons I do not eat fish except at Elsa's in Punta Rucia...

Our OP says he needs names. Please for get this, since they change a lot.

From Hotel Jardines, go out the front door, turn right and then left down that street. About 50 yards down the street there are three nice places to eat. choose one.

Again. From the front door: Go across the street and down. About 250 yards down there is on one corner: A Pizza palce, a Sushi place and a Burger place. All three are good.

Again, out the front door, turn left this time and go two blocks and turn right. There is a Campagna Bakers with excellent sandwiches, and across the street there is Pedro's...a nice place to eat.

Same thing but just one block, turn right and down at the end there is a real Dominican colmadon with music, ice cold beer served in the park across the street and lots of people to watch.

Same thing, oh this is getting boring...but you get the idea. Go four blocks to Rep del Libano street and walk down it until you come to Macao Grill on the far corner. Great Pizza and grilled meat, and seafood, with specials during the weel. Opens at 4:00 in the afternoon.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Marisco Center was a major disappointment when we ate there a couple of years ago.

Puerto Madero has always offered up good steaks at a decent price. Rancho Steak house is also very good, best steak I've had in Santiago.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
The name : PASTICCIO
I was there a few weeks ago and was very dissapointed :
- I ordered a carpaccio de salmon : it was not a carpaccio but a piece of smoked salmon.
- the pastas are not fresh
- all are basic salsas and they add what you want to ?create?your specific salsa you ordened.

- Restaurant Vivres has been closed.

Buen provecho !

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Vivres is closed??? I've been there one month ago... And regarding El Pasticchio, I've been there twice and the portions were quite small for a high price, I never returned.
The sushi Place in Los Jardines (Bel Caire) is now closed. It was my favourite place to eat sushi :-(
Rancho is overprized, as well as Pez Dorado (and furthermore, I don't like too much the athmospere, too sophisticated). They opened a restaurant next to Francisfol, any feed back? In los Jardine, Mr. Hookah advertises they are making "Arabic sandwiches" (on the picture I saw, it looks like Pittas), would someone knows how it is?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Funny how the "overpriced" restaurants (Eancho, Pez Dorado, etc.) stay in business, but the cheap ones don't.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
Maybe : quality of service, ambiente, quality of cuisine - not "food" - A restaurant is more than prices on a menu.......