Restaurant recommendations Santo Domingo

alaska1986

Hello all I will be in Santo Domingo for about 9 nights at different times. The first 3 nights at the Marriott Jaragua, then returning for 6 nights staying at Apart Hotel Roma #2.

Last time this forum provided me with some great restaurant recommendations in SD like Adrian Tropical, La Briciola, etc. I am looking to add to that with a mix of romantic and just generally good (expensive or non) within walking distance of these two hotels for breakfast lunch and dinner (well we get breakfast included at the Marriott)

Thanks all

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From your hotel make a right on the Malecon and walk aways to Vesuvio's. A good Italian Restaurant that has been here forever.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from the Jaragua.. walk east on Independencia... to Pasteur, where Villar Hermanos is on the Corner.. great deli food and bakery.. then one block North on Pasteur .. quick left on Casimira de Moira for Dominican Specials for 80 pesos in air conditioned comfort by a great French chef called Louis Phillippe.. or RIGHT on Casimira de Moira for Vegetarian for vegetarian.. or ONE BLOCK west to Cervantes.. then NORTH to LEA De CASTRO where an elegant sumptous Spanish restaurant.. pricey.. table cloths valet parking...

on up one block on Pasteur with Santiago you will find another DROP DEAD Italian place with the BEST pasta and salads...

ahhhhhhhh

GAZCUE!!!!!!!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Walking distance from Jaragua:

Walk out the back exit on Independencia. Cross Independencia and walk up one block on Deligne, the road that leads directly into Jaragua parking lot, and then make a right. El Conuco is sort of touristy but has Dominican Buffet and a "show" that pretty much everyone I have taken there has dug. They even have pics of Brangelina on the wall.

In stead of corssing independencia when walking out back, make a right and walk past pasteur. Keep walking past hotel Novaro and when you get to the next corner make a right. On you right hand side is hotel senorial. Swiss owned I believe. They have decent pricing and a wide variety of basic dishes as well as Fondue etc.They have pastas, fish, even imported skirt steak which is decent.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Pate Palo, Zona Colonial, Excellent international cuisine and nice atmosphere
Meson d?Bari Zona Colonial, good Dominican food.
In Metro area (a short ride in taxi).
David Crocket, Porter House, boths Excellent steak house
Fellini, Pepperoni, Cafe Milano and Sophia?s fine italian cuisine and international, nice ambient and very expensive
Meson de La Cava Spanish and Seafood in an underground cave.
Chef Pepper, good American at reasonable prices.
La Barrica, American sport bar

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
One of the best restaurants in that area in my opinion is Cantabrico. It's on Independencia as your walking to the colonial zone on the right hand side of the street.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Vesuvio on the Malecon is closed, I am told. It was probably the oldest restaurant (a living legend for all of us that grew up going to eat pizza there on Sunday) in Santo Domingo. Don't have the explanation as to why it is closed. The Vesuvio in Tiradentes continues to do well. Mitre of the same family on Abraham Lincoln, also. Enzo on Abraham Lincoln also closed, but that one was open for only about a year.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Vesuvio on the Malecon is closed, I am told. It was probably the oldest restaurant (a living legend for all of us that grew up going to eat pizza there on Sunday) in Santo Domingo. Don't have the explanation as to why it is closed.

Wow Dolores, that's quite a surprise, been going there for 30+ years. I hope it's just closed for renovations, the Malecon wouldn't be the same without it. Let us know if you hear anything else.

AE

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Vesuvio on the Malecon is closed, I am told. It was probably the oldest restaurant (a living legend for all of us that grew up going to eat pizza there on Sunday) in Santo Domingo. Don't have the explanation as to why it is closed. The Vesuvio in Tiradentes continues to do well. Mitre of the same family on Abraham Lincoln, also. Enzo on Abraham Lincoln also closed, but that one was open for only about a year.
Please do give us an update. I always stopped there beginning in the early 1980's for great food. My kids and then my grandkids always enjoyed the highwire show preformed by the "Monkey Man"* on a wire he would string in front of the terrace. I also developed a love-hate relationship with one of the cab drivers who hung out there. For 20 years he tried to rip me off. But we both enjoyed the negotiating that ensued.

* To be politically correct- that is the name he went by.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Does anybody remember a chef/owner of a Santo Domingo Italian restaurant by the name Giuseppe. He was a great chef who was noted for entertaining his customers between courses by performing Italian Opera. I can't remember the name of the restaurant. Is it still open?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does anybody remember a chef/owner of a Santo Domingo Italian restaurant by the name Giuseppe. He was a great chef who was noted for entertaining his customers between courses by performing Italian Opera. I can't remember the name of the restaurant. Is it still open?

Pinochio's ??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pate Palo, Zona Colonial, Excellent international cuisine and nice atmosphere
Meson d?Bari Zona Colonial, good Dominican food.
In Metro area (a short ride in taxi).
David Crocket, Porter House, boths Excellent steak house
Fellini, Pepperoni, Cafe Milano and Sophia?s fine italian cuisine and international, nice ambient and very expensive
Meson de La Cava Spanish and Seafood in an underground cave.
Chef Pepper, good American at reasonable prices.
La Barrica, American sport bar

Both of these are very good for waht they are - steak, meat.
Both have few tourists that I have seen - quite Dominicano, which is good.