White water in the DR?

_Zee_

Sep 24, 2011
Just curious if anyone has been whitewater canoeing or kayaking in the country at all? If so, what river? How was it etc?

Not interested in rafting at all, as it's just not the same!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Just curious if anyone has been whitewater canoeing or kayaking in the country at all? If so, what river? How was it etc?

Not interested in rafting at all, as it's just not the same!

Family Kayak Adventure - Iguana Mama, Cabarete Adventure Tours

kayaking-caribbean-extreme-sports.jpg
kayak-adventure-tour-dominican.jpg

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
The Yasika River, used by Iguana Mama, is really nice for Kayaking. I went tubing along the river once.

You can also Kayak at the Parque Nacional Los Haities: Aventuras :: Paraiso Ca?o Hondo :: Sitio Oficial

I was also told that the word and concept of a Kayak comes from the Ta?no Indians, who called these small vessels Kayukos.
HAHA...........Kayak is an Inuit word for, guess what........a KAYAK!!!

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
The following text was on the menu at Para?so Ca?o Hondo and our guide told us that Kayuko was originally a Ta?no word. Just what I was told last weekend.

Cayuco significa canoa de fondo plano, construida por el vaciado del tronco de un ?rbol, a veces un tronco de palmera, normalmente de una frondosa de madera blanda, como la Ceyba. Su nombre deriva de la palabra "cayo".

El cayuco fue utilizado por los Ta?nos, quienes fueron diestros navegantes, ellos poblaron las Antillas viajando en fr?giles embarcaciones, a las que llamaban con el vocablo "Kayuko" (luego esta palabra fue aceptada en el idioma espa?ol para designar a las embarcaciones r?sticas peque?as). Los Ta?nos fueron los ?ltimos pobladores ind?genas que habitaron esta parte de la isla a la llegada del Almirante Crist?bal Col?n, quienes integraron una raza ind?gena dentro de la familia Arahuaca, procedentes del ?rea de lo que ahora es Venezuela, y que a lo largo de los siglos fueron poblando las distintas islas del arco antillano.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I had the Kayak out tonight, our field filled up in about 45 minutes with that huge downpour that lasted 5 hours, Bloody great. Kids in the rafts on the street, I paddled to the colmado had a beer. I love these mental storms!!
Jarabacoa!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I had the Kayak out tonight, our field filled up in about 45 minutes with that huge downpour that lasted 5 hours, Bloody great. Kids in the rafts on the street, I paddled to the colmado had a beer. I love these mental storms!!
Jarabacoa!

Hahaha- streets were indeed small rivers for a few hours. Kids running around in their underwear and having great fun.