thieves or incompetents?

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I heard long ago about this, and now Im gonna put in practice every time. Im talking about checking the bill when going to shop to Pola, Iberia, Higueyano, etc ... just in the counter, I dont mind if making a queu to others...
The other day, shopping in Pola, I got some stuff at discount price, when I checked the bill at home, that stuff was not discounted and other stuff which price label was in my hands, was charged with a higher price.
Today, going to Iberia, in Higuey, I check my bill at home and I see that they charged something called "bollilo de bamboo" that I did not purchase.
Starting to be tired of all of these. Too many errors in so short time.
These people are thieves, incompetents, idiots, or what?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Always check every receipt you get in the DR, period.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is somebody on here who is religious about monitoring the bill at the supermercado.

I forget who it is - but its been posted about Playero, if I remember.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have had the same problem with "offertas" a lot. Now I take it to the price checker before I even go to the cashier. If it is not right I tell the cashier right off the bat. Then they always correct it. Total BS to me.

You never see a Dominican let the girl start pricing without looking. Do the same.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
SKY is right. I stand right next tot the cashier and watch every item priced. If I see what I think is an error, I say so immediately and either the supervisor corrects the cashier or a bagger is sent to check.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My wife checks every price and watches the kids bagging the groceries who are known to miss an item or two every once in a while. Its the DR but being cautious is good everywhere. You might as well be paranoid because yes, they are out to get you.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
SKY is right. I stand right next tot the cashier and watch every item priced. If I see what I think is an error, I say so immediately and either the supervisor corrects the cashier or a bagger is sent to check.
Exactly, I watch every item going through, before its too late I can say something

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
BTW its not just the DR, I check everything in canada too, I dont treat it any different in any country.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
BTW its not just the DR, I check everything in canada too, I dont treat it any different in any country.

at least in Canada there is the 'if the cashier charges you over the marked price, the item is free (up to $10)' rule, so there is incentive to price correctly. But true, a certain italian grocery chain would always try to charge me for the most expensive sort of grapes in stock when I was buying a cheaper brand - 80% of the time!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
at least in Canada there is the 'if the cashier charges you over the marked price, the item is free (up to $10)' rule, so there is incentive to price correctly. But true, a certain italian grocery chain would always try to charge me for the most expensive sort of grapes in stock when I was buying a cheaper brand - 80% of the time!

Fruit is one of the items I watch especially carefully here, especially if there are a couple of different varieties, each with a different price. Big spender that I am, I almost always buy the cheaper variety and watch to be sure that is what is rung up.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
the problem is that I cannot be checking prices of more than 50 items, cannot keep all of them in mind obviously ...
but at least will check the ones I knew were with a discount, and will do a quick check to see if anything I did not buy is included in the bill ... my god, this is pain in the ass!!!! ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
the problem is that I cannot be checking prices of more than 50 items, cannot keep all of them in mind obviously ...
but at least will check the ones I knew were with a discount, and will do a quick check to see if anything I did not buy is included in the bill ... my god, this is pain in the ass!!!! ;)

No, you can't remember everything. What I check are the prices the cashier rings up and items on the shelf that seem to be specials or have especially good prices.

Of course in the case of the latter it usually turns out the product was put in the wrong place on the shelf so the true price was actually more. This is not the cashier's fault and may not be the store's fault. The item may have been put back on the shelf by a customer who decided not to buy it but to buy the lower price product on the shelf where he put the unwanted item.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
in fact I always check the price sticker on each item to not get into trouble, but looks like not only that to be done to not getting ripped off ...

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
in fact I always check the price sticker on each item to not get into trouble, but looks like not only that to be done to not getting ripped off ...
If you are shopping for many things it can be effective to write out a list, perhaps 2 - 3 copies then visit stores that stock these items and get them to write prices against the items.
Or if the item is on display with a price tag confirm the exact price before ordering.
You can spot an unusually high price and when you have decided to purchase a list of items from one store it is easy to add up the total cost and give the right money. If they are delivering then you can check off the items arriving.
If it's a big single item being delivered get the bill, pay a deposit and and the rest on delivery after you inspect.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Shop On An Almost Daily Basis.

I can tell you,with over 25 years shopping in the DR,that the "Misspricing" of items in the major supermarkets is not by mistake! If it was a mistake by the programers,there would be "mistakes" that would be made in both directions,infavor of the consumer,and in favor of the supermarket. I have never in 25 years paid less than the price marked on the item,25 YEARS!
Supermercado National is the worst offender,BY FAR.!!!!
It is mostly on their "so called" sale items.I ALWAY place the sale items apart from the other items,and then check them all at the "code reader" before I go to the cashier.There are alway several items that ring up at the regular prrice.The cashiers hate to see me coming!I also bring the sign that has the sale item marked.It is always the same routine.I tell them the item is on sale,they stare at the item,look for it in the circular,call the supervisor,she repeats the "show".They take the item to verify the cost.They come back with a sad face,and re-enter the item at the sale price.Most items remain on sale for 2 weeks.They will continue to ring up at the regular price,even though I have pointed out the problem more than once during the sale.I talk to the manager about what is going on.He ALWAYS says that they will correct their mistake,They never do.
What reason to they have.They could care less about their customers,and what governmental agency will help????
I don't even get angry anymore,but I do GET EVEN! :classic::classic::classic::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
They are so stupid! In what other country is it sometimes cheaper to buy two 8 oz. jars of a product than one 16oz. size???? Two bags of half kilo laundrey detergent than one kilo bag?? The list goes on and on.
They manufactures have also started marketing smaller sizes of common items.This is to confuse their customers.You must also be aware of perishable items that are "Out-Of-Code".
Bravo Supermarket has sale items,"Buy One,Get The Second One At Half Price".Name one Dominican that can do the math to find out the actual price of that item.
And always know,that the guy who cuts your ham,or cheese,picks his nose,or worse,before,and sometimes during the process!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Quick tip: if there's a lower price, check the expiry date!

And yes, I do mental calculations for the prices, specially on items I wouldn't normally buy if they are on special. I never take my eyes off the cashier when I'm shopping!

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
last week I went to Super Pola, my gf wanted to buy some special cheese to fry, quite popular in DR.
I told her ok, looks yummy, but look at expiry date. We realised then that ALL those cheeses were already out to date...
Looks like DR has a very very long way to go to start leaving the label of "developing country" .... :(