Ministerio de Salud

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Can someone help me? I have been on the MDS (Ministerio de Salud) website a gazillion times in the last week, clicking on the various options trying to find information.
We have been told by a lawyer tus Midwives are not illegal in the country (confirmed by Guzman in another thread) but that our credentials need to be confirmed and we need to be given authorizaton to work in the country. There are 4 Midwives (I will not have my Midwifery license until Oct. 2012). And we would like to get everything done soon as we have done upfront donations for us to find a location. So here are the questions:
1.) Getting our credentials confirmed, who can we call or what do we click on on the MDS website to find this info out?
2.) Can I have my RN credential confirmed until I receive my Midwifery license?
3.) After settling that, what area of government do we contact in order to be able to start the Birth Center?

Our lead Midwife has a lawyer in Santiago but we want to use them as little as possible as the funds are limited, we want to save our donations and fundraising for the actual operation of the Center and not use them up in lawyers fees. None of us will be paid for approximately one year, and after that our pay will not be a living wage. This is more Passion driven work.

If you know any of these answers or know someone that can point me in the right direction I appreciate it.

SHALENA

P.S.
Before anyone asks, yes I contacted Guzman. I PM'd him and without answering my question he told me to send an email to info@drlawyer.com which I did and still have not heard anything so....so much for that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From what I've seen the governmental website are of the you get see what you see type and calling or sending emails many times are fruitless. Remember, most of the funds for these ministries are used for pretty webpages, vacation homes and nice cars as opposed to actually getting the job done.

Nonetheless, no doubt thousands of doctors come here annually and perform a variety of free services to include complicated surgeries. I would therefore search google for "doctors dominican republic volunteer" and get in touch with someone who has done this before. More than likely your best bet would be a Christian missionary organization. You could even call Caritas in Santiago and ask if they have ever coordinated such.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, I understand but for the most part missions do not need their credentials confirmed or certified as they are only in the country for a short period so none have gone through that process. I am in 3 missions to DR and 1 to Nicaragua in the next 6 months and when I asked about it I was told that a photocopy of my Nursing license will suffice.
Again this is because missions are temporary, even if they go several times per year.
I'm already assuming it will be a hard road getting all of the paperwork because for the life of me I can't understand why hundreds of Midwives move to Haiti to open Birth Centers and not DR. There had to have been some issues somewhere. Just not sure yet but if its legwork, I am willing to go over and do the running around gathering applications and information but I want to know what I need to be doing first. Another hinderance is that I am the only one in our group who speaks Spanish.

SHALENA

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Shalena, when I coordinate the dental/medical clinics in Puerto Plata, permission to treat patients and to hold the clinics has always been granted by the Director de Salud P?blica and Salud P?blica Bucal in the province. Do you have any sort of contact with Salud P?blica in the province where you intend to hold the clinic?

As I understand it, the term "partera" is used to describe a midwife in the DR, if that is any help to you.

I am not currently in the DR, but when I return there, I have some information in my office on funding sources for the training of midwives in developing countries. Are you interested?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena, when I coordinate the dental/medical clinics in Puerto Plata, permission to treat patients and to hold the clinics has always been granted by the Director de Salud P?blica and Salud P?blica Bucal in the province. Do you have any sort of contact with Salud P?blica in the province where you intend to hold the clinic?

As I understand it, the term "partera" is used to describe a midwife in the DR, if that is any help to you.

I am not currently in the DR, but when I return there, I have some information in my office on funding sources for the training of midwives in developing countries. Are you interested?
I am quite interested as that is also one of our longterm goals. I do not have a contact with anyone yet in the MDS, hoping I can get that soon. I love teaching and once we are on our feet and producing enough revenue just to run the center, I definitely want to look into teaching interested Dominican women to be Midwives. There are many working in the hospitals that have the capability.
Yes, Partera is the word. I seem to remebwr you having a thread with a,similar question...did you ever get any answers?

SHALENA

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am quite interested as that is also one of our longterm goals. I do not have a contact with anyone yet in the MDS, hoping I can get that soon. I love teaching and once we are on our feet and producing enough revenue just to run the center, I definitely want to look into teaching interested Dominican women to be Midwives. There are many working in the hospitals that have the capability.
Yes, Partera is the word. I seem to remebwr you having a thread with a,similar question...did you ever get any answers?

SHALENA

Yes, my question was if it was legal. Dr. Guzm?n researched and said that he could not find any laws forbidding the midwives to practice.

Chip's suggestion to talk to Caritas in Santiago is a good one. If the Director of Caritas can be induced to ask the Archdiocese to request permission from Salud P?blica for the birthing clinics, approval is pretty much guaranteed.

I will see if I can get some information from Puerto Plata. Maybe my contact can find a contact for you in Santiago.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
What type of organization is Caritas? Never heard if it. Maybe I can make a visit on my trip in November.

SHALENA

Found the website!