PUJ: Where's your Visa? Where's your return ticket?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My partner just flew in on Copa Airlines from Panama this afternoon. They kept insisting he needs a visa to enter (WTF?). He's from Trinidad and doesn't need a visa but the idiot immigration guy said he did. They also were demanding to know where his return ticket was. He wasn't the only one either. They were bugging Peruvians and Argentinians for return tickets as well.

Just found it a little odd.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It appears the action was by a very uninformed immigration official or a shakedown. Consult the DR1 travel section for information.

Visitors from Trinidad, Argentina, and Peru do not require visas.

Travel Documents - Dominican Republic

Regards,

PJT

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
My partner just flew in on Copa Airlines from Panama this afternoon. They kept insisting he needs a visa to enter (WTF?). He's from Trinidad and doesn't need a visa but the idiot immigration guy said he did. They also were demanding to know where his return ticket was. He wasn't the only one either. They were bugging Peruvians and Argentinians for return tickets as well.

Just found it a little odd.

Maybe this is why?

I suspect my story is different than most. To be brutally honest, although I just moved here with my partner, I really don't want to be here. We are a same-sex bi-national couple (that's a mouthful) and we can't live legally in my home country (USA) or his (Trinidad) so we've had to find somewhere that was easy to establish ourselves without having to worry about immigration issues. I would much prefer to be back in the US where I could take advantage of all the first world has to offer. I know many of you left because you are dissatisfied with your home country but I loved living in the States. My father is 80 yrs old and doesn't have much time left on this earth and I wish I could see him more often. I miss my 3 brothers and my sister who I love dearly and hate not being able to just run over to there house on the weekend to visit. I miss my career I worked so hard at establishing. I miss all the wonderful things I used to do like weekend trips to NYC or driving out into the Virginia countryside to visit some of the many wineries.

Why am I in the DR? Because my own country has exiled me. :(

Why your partner doesn't have a Residency Card and a "Cedula" after being living in the DR for 2 years? He is not different than an illegal Haitian!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Did he buy a tourist card? That's all he should have needed.

Immigration officer was probably looking for some money. When we came through SDQ last trip the guy was very open about asking for cash - he told my [Dominican] husband it had been a "very bad Christmas" for him. My husband told him "It's bad everywhere". It angered him that the first Dominican tourists are meeting was looking for a handout. Needless to say, we didn't give him any money.

There IS a requirement for a return ticket in most countries for anyone entering the country who is not a citizen or legal resident.

AE

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
How were you exiled? last I knew there were a few states, that were marrying same sex couples? Think exiled is a strong word

six states: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, plus Washington, D.C. and Oregon's Coquille and Washington state's Suquamish Indian tribes. Same-sex marriages could be legally performed in California between June 16, 2008, and November 4, 2008, when voters passed Proposition 8 prohibiting same-sex marriages. Maryland recognizes same-sex marriages but does not grant marriage licenses to same-sex couples.[1][2] The legalization of same-sex marriage has been driven by court rulings and legislative action, rather than voter referendums.[3]

Same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
How were you exiled? last I knew there were a few states, that were marrying same sex couples? Think exiled is a strong word

six states: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, plus Washington, D.C. and Oregon's Coquille and Washington state's Suquamish Indian tribes. Same-sex marriages could be legally performed in California between June 16, 2008, and November 4, 2008, when voters passed Proposition 8 prohibiting same-sex marriages. Maryland recognizes same-sex marriages but does not grant marriage licenses to same-sex couples.[1][2] The legalization of same-sex marriage has been driven by court rulings and legislative action, rather than voter referendums.[3]

US Immigration does not recognize same sex marriages for immigration purposes. Same sex marriage does not meet the federal definition of a marriage.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I don't see Trinidad on that list. It appears that unless he has a visa to enter the US, Canada, the EU or Great Britian, he will need a Dominican visa plus a tourist card. We already know about the US visa.

He does not need a Visa.

/ 06OCT11 / 0209 UTC

National Trinidad and Tobago (TT)
Destination Dominican Rep. (DO)

Dominican Rep. (DO)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.
- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any

destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or

accepted departure document TIRULES/R9 is required by the
US immigration authorities.

Visa Issuance:
Visa required, except for Nationals of Trinidad and Tobago can

obtain a Tourist Card on arrival, for a max. stay of 30 days.
Fee: USD 10.-. Extension possible
Minors:
- Passengers under 18 years of age leaving the Dominican
Rep.,For details, click here
Additional Information:

- Visitors are required hold documents required for their next
destination.

Warning:
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused

entry.

CHECK TINEWS - CHECK LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES ON TRAVEL
INFORMATION

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Why your partner doesn't have a Residency Card and a "Cedula" after being living in the DR for 2 years? He is not different than an illegal Haitian!!!

Take your disdain elsewhere. Why no contempt toward me? I don't have a Cedula either. There is nothing "illegal" about staying past the 30 days the tourist card provides.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

Exiled is not a strong word. I had to abandon my friends and family so I could be with the man I love. No one should be forced to do that.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is not uncommon for Immigration to ask about a return ticket. That is true for any country. I am surprised that he was not asked about this prior to boarding his flight since the airline could be subject to a large fine and the responsibility of transporting the passenger back if they are not allowed entry into the country.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Exiled is not a strong word. I had to abandon my friends and family so I could be with the man I love. No one should be forced to do that.
You chose to leave You were not forced to leave why is it easier to place blame every were else than be responsible for one's action's .If you really loved him and din't want to leave your family and friends you and the man you love would have put in the time and effort to be together not take the easy way out.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I suspect my story is different than most. To be brutally honest, although I just moved here with my partner, I really don't want to be here. We are a same-sex bi-national couple (that's a mouthful) and we can't live legally in my home country (USA) or his (Trinidad) so we've had to find somewhere that was easy to establish ourselves without having to worry about immigration issues. I would much prefer to be back in the US where I could take advantage of all the first world has to offer. I know many of you left because you are dissatisfied with your home country but I loved living in the States. My father is 80 yrs old and doesn't have much time left on this earth and I wish I could see him more often. I miss my 3 brothers and my sister who I love dearly and hate not being able to just run over to there house on the weekend to visit. I miss my career I worked so hard at establishing. I miss all the wonderful things I used to do like weekend trips to NYC or driving out into the Virginia countryside to visit some of the many wineries.

Why am I in the DR? Because my own country has exiled me. :(
A lesson in twisting the facts to suit one's needs!

What you really said back in 2009 is that "YOUR" partner can not live in the U.S.A. because "He" has no U.S. visa, etc.

Your country (U.S.A.) did not exile you, you chose to exile yourself!

Why did you not just post the truth?

"YOUR" partner could not gain lawful entry to live in the U.S.A. so "YOU" chose to leave.

What a drama queen!

How were you exiled? last I knew there were a few states, that were marrying same sex couples? Think exiled is a strong word ........]
Guess he has trouble expressing the facts, just his way of dramatically saying his partner could not legally enter the U.S.A.

2lsjm76.jpg

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Take your disdain elsewhere. Why no contempt toward me? I don't have a Cedula either. There is nothing "illegal" about staying past the 30 days the tourist card provides.

What disdain are you talking about! The immigration officer probably noticed on your partner passport that he was living him, but he doesn't have a "Cedula" or a Permanent Residency Card.

I know there is nothing illegal if you stay for a few month, but he has been living in the DR since 2009! Again why hasn't he bothered to get a "Cedula" and Permanent Residency card? It's not like the U.S. he will get it right all way.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
What disdain are you talking about! The immigration officer probably noticed on your partner passport that he was living him, but he doesn't have a "Cedula" or a Permanent Residency Card.

I know there is nothing illegal if you stay for a few month, but he has been living in the DR since 2009! Again why hasn't he bothered to get a "Cedula" and Permanent Residency card? It's not like the U.S. he will get it right all way.

I've lived and worked here 2.5 without papers.... I come and go at least 4 times a year (entering from USA, Canada and Europe).

I think we just need to leave ppl alone :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
There IS a requirement for a return ticket in most countries for anyone entering the country who is not a citizen or legal resident.

AE

This is correct and as most are told over and over that if you enter on a one way ticket you are lucky because legally unless you have DR residency you need a return ticket.

And yes sometimes a tourist card is referred to as a visa.

Check Skys post as well.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My whole point in starting this thread was that I found it odd he was being hassled at all. I have been through DR immigration at least 20 times and I have never once seen anyone questioned at immigration. People breeze right through. The immigration officers barely even pay attention, they just open up your passport, find a blank page and stamp it and you're done.

That goes for asking for proof of return ticket. This question comes up frequently in the forums and although technically it is a requirement, I can't recall ever hearing of anyone that said they were questioned for a return ticket when they came through immigration.

You might want to work on your comprehension skills. The very first sentence in the link you provided begins with "The federal government does not recognize same-sex marriage in the United States...".

Hence, it's not an option for me and my partner.

A lesson in twisting the facts to suit one's needs!

What you really said back in 2009 is that "YOUR" partner can not live in the U.S.A. because "He" has no U.S. visa, etc.

Your country (U.S.A.) did not exile you, you chose to exile yourself!

Why did you not just post the truth?

"YOUR" partner could not gain lawful entry to live in the U.S.A. so "YOU" chose to leave.

What a drama queen!

Guess he has trouble expressing the facts, just his way of dramatically saying his partner could not legally enter the U.S.A.

Twisting the facts? Who's the drama queen? I lived with my partner in the US legally for 2 years and when his visa expired we did the legal (and moral) thing and left the States. Although it was a choice, it still feels like exile. Unlike heterosexual couples, I'm not afforded the same luxury to sponsor my spouse for immigration. So my choice was to just walk away from the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with or leave the US to be with him. Honestly, I think it's rather barbaric that my own government would force me to make that choice.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Unlike heterosexual couples, I'm not afforded the same luxury to sponsor my spouse for immigration. So my choice was to just walk away from the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with or leave the US to be with him. Honestly, I think it's rather barbaric that my own government would force me to make that choice.
You have the same rights anyother US citizen has when he is the object of an injustice. The blacks marched and had the Equal Rights Amendment passed. Th woman protested and abortion was legalized. The disabled protested and the Americans with Disabilities Act was passed. A question for you. When was the last time you voted for Congress or President? When was the last time you protested for your rights? No you just walked away (exiled yourself) and pouted.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You have the same rights anyother US citizen has when he is the object of an injustice. The blacks marched and had the Equal Rights Amendment passed. Th woman protested and abortion was legalized. The disabled protested and the Americans with Disabilities Act was passed. A question for you. When was the last time you voted for Congress or President? When was the last time you protested for your rights? No you just walked away (exiled yourself) and pouted.

Wow... just Wow. Why the hate? You know absolutely nothing about me yet are willing to spout uninformed dribble. Pouting? WTF? I vote in every election. I'm am registered to vote in DC (so unfortunately I don't get to vote for Congress). I donate to and am active with the Immigration Equality Action Fund. Just last year I marched in Washington, DC for immigration reform. I have corresponded with just about every member of Congress encouraging them to support the Uniting American Families Act. I'm working my ass off trying to get out of this hellhole of a country. So please, spare me your ignorance.