Children's Homes/Orphanages

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Hello,

I am wondering if people can answer any of my questions concerning orphanages in the DR. I am interested in donating, but have read a few negative reports on orphanages. Mostly how there are no 'real' orphans in many countries(excluding war zones). However, foreign NGOs frequently start one and then poor mothers/relatives will place the child there for hope that the orphanage can provide the child with a better life. Supporting the orphanage then perpetuates the cycle of more orphans coming.

Are all the orphanages registered with the government-social services, or can an NGO run one separate from the government? Do they have a license and are they checked frequently by social workers?

Anyways, I think that every child deserves a home and if there is a need for orphanages they should be there, I just want to make sure if I support one it is legitimate and a positive thing for the kids.

Thanks!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It is true that often the children in orphanages are not truly orphans. However, there are some children who truly do not have families. The homes for disabled children care for those whose parents either cannot or will not care for them. I know of one girl in a home in Puerto Plata whose family abandoned her in an empty house and left her to die. Orphanages are necessary for children like her.

I have some familiarity with orphanages in the Puerto Plata/Sos?a area. The children in those orphanages have been placed there by CONANI, a government agency. Sometimes children are placed in orphanages because the parents cannot care for them. I know of one little girl who was placed because her mother left the family and her father chose to place her where she would be safe instead keeping her at home in Sos?a where he would be at work all day.

From my experience, CONANI is involved with the orphanages. I am not sure about licensing and supervision, but the children are placed there because they are in need.

If I can help further, please let me know.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Check out Project Isobel on the web. I know the woman who runs it and she does an amazing job.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I deal with two places in Santiago. One is an "Albergue" or shelter. The other one is a "Hogar" or Orphanage. They don't seem to use the word "Orfanato" that much.

That said, people here tend to care a lot for children and the government is jealous of their care. However, they are all terribly underfunded and lacking is real support, personnel training and equipment. (Good friends have helped install swings, cleaned up recreation areas, provided tons of school supplies, toys [not a good idea], basketball courts, volleyball nets, gardens and fruit trees, and we have some Frizzbee and Table Tennis pending.

Cordially,

HB

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning Cacobaka, Hogar Emiliano Tardiff is located before la Barranquitia of off Yapur Dumit in Santiago. It has 25-30 kids (the number varies) and is housed in the confiscated mansion of a drug trafficker. The children mostly have at least one parent but due to jail, drug addiction, mental problems, AIDS, or abuse they are there. It is nominally sponsored by the Catholic Church but is usually short of basics like meat which is considered a luxury. I am certainly not Mother Teresa but I try do do some things. If I get the Professor off his duff this afternoon will be Frisbee day (his son donated them) and what ever else I can figure out to do. They really like for some reason "Pedro Dice" named because I do not know how to say "Simon Says". Next Saturday is the monthly joint birthday party for whoever had a birthday this month. I do not want your money but if you want to send to a person you trust in Santiago to help with some of the birthday stuff or better still come yourself you are welcome. Keep in mind for a Dominican family and extended family to give up kids the circumstances are dire.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Many years ago I worked with 10 orphanages in the country, 1 in Monti Cristi, 1 in Laguna Salada 2 in P Plata, 2 in Santiago, 1 in Puerto Rico a Pie, 1 in Nagua, 1 in Bonao, 1 in S.F. de Macoris . I believe most are still existing. All were vastly underfunded and in need of help. Wew supplied food and clothing. Five peace corp volunteers assisted me. K

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Thank you for all the replies.

I am assuming the kids in the orphanage attend school, or do they receive education at the home(such as a home schooling arrangement).

Asides from funds what is the most needed item?

Also, are there orphanages specifically for Haitian kids or do the existing ones house both Dominican and Haitian kids. There seems to be a need and I wonder how that works out.

Thanks all!

(I'm not in DR now, but when I do come on a more permanent basis I would love to volunteer. For now i'm doing research and figuring out what's most needed).

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
The method of education varies at each orphanage. Some are schooled on site while others go to the public school system. Some also do a combination of the two with the younger kids being educated on site and the older ones going to the liceo. Every site I worked with was run by religiously devoted people. Most are either all boys or all girls but a few have both. I remember the home in Santiago- about 40 girls, all 5 years old or under. There were no Haitians in the sites I worked at. As for the most needed items, each site is different so you must first review the situation. Our program stuck to the basics, food and clothing. We never ever gave cash to anyone. K

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good afternoon, If anyone in the Cibao/Santiago area has the time and/or money this saturday is another "whoever has a birthday in the month" party. I am out of ideas for new themes as I have used the clown, games, popcorn machine etc. If anyone has any leads for a magician or maybe a juggler or other please let me know. We have three kids this week and I will cover the individualized gifts (about 600 pesos each) and the soda (thanks to Supermercado Olimpico) but I could use some help with the cake. I gotta check if we have enough plastic plates and spoons. Hillbilly Senior and Junior have done more than enough over the yearseven though I managed to hit a kid in the mouth while trying to teach the Frisbees they donated last saturday.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, The birthday planned for today Saturday at the Tardiff Orphanage will be tommorow Sunday 16OCT11 because of a schedule conflict with the staff. I already go got the presents, spoons, and soda and need the cake and about 30 plastic plates. I am posting this just in case anyone was planning on coming.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon just in case anyone is listening the Birthday Sunday before last Sunday went well but due to a misunderstanding one child (Yokasta age 10) was overlooked so we are going to do it again this weekend. If anybody in the Santiago area cares to participate just let me know.