Road conditions? Samana-El Limon-Las Terrenas

J

JD

Hola -

Pariser's travel book notes that there is new direct Samana-Las Terrenas road under construction. Still true? Has anyone driven it recently?

We'll be staying in Las Galeras and am wondering if we need to go to Las Terrenas first, by way of Sanchez, in order to visit the El Limon waterfall. (which would take much longer than a direct route from Samana.) Can anyone recommend the best way to get to El Limon? Perhaps a good horsebacking riding tourguide? Do the horseback tours only go from Las Terrenas?

NOTE that we'll have a rental car but it won't be 4WD, so not sure if that will be sufficient.

Appreciating your help, JD

D

DR One

You will need to return to Sanchez to take the road to Las Terrenas and then to El Lim?n. The road the author refers to is the Sanchez-Las Terrenas panoramic route. Drive carefully. This route is beautiful, but it could be fatal for distracted drivers.

D

DR One

Just got off the phone talking to someone who was in Las Galeras over the weekend. She recommends that you go to the town of Las Galeras and take one of the new yellow Hyundai taxis and go with them to El Lim?n waterfalls. The taxi drivers know how to take you and where. She tells of the case of a pair of Germans who saw their rented car ruined by driving over spiking rocks. Her recommendation is to take the taxi and not drive yourself unless you have a jeep. She also confirmed that you have to get to Sanchez and from there drive to Las Terrenas and then to El Lim?n. She recalled the taxis charge about US$20 (suppose it is per person), which includes lunch. I tend to agree with her. Make your vacation carefree and take the taxi.

J

JD

Thank you Dolores! Of course your great new suggestion has inspired some new questions:

Am I reading correctly that the new taxis from Las Galeras go through Sanchez and Las Terrenas first to get to El Limon waterfalls? Or is that just the route for regular rental cars, and the taxis have 4WD and go a shorter route direct from Samana? Do the taxis drive up very close to the falls or does one then hike or take a horseback ride? (I read somewhere one must make river crossings en route to El Limon falls.)

But if we need to go all the way to Las Terrenas first to get to El Limon we might as well visit the Las Terrenas area beaches, too, right? I wonder if the taxis would allow that, or if we're better off driving ourselves (carefully) to Las Terrenas and getting a tour from someone there instead of Las Galeras? Would anyone mind suggesting a possible itinerary, half day or full day, from Las Galeras with a trip to El Limon falls and Las Terrenas? We are nature lovers.

Thanks again, JD

J

JD

Pariser is actually referring to another route than the one you mention. He writes this about getting to/from Las Terrenas:

"The 11 mile paved road from Sanchez offers fantastic views -- passing rolling hills covered with palms and marvelous overlooks -- as you rise and then descend. A new direct road to Samana is under construction."

(Exploring the Dominican Republic, 1998, p. 280.)

You kindly refer to the first paved road, but it's the latter road that I'm wondering about -- is there really a new direct road to Samana under construction? (thought I gather from your other email that it is not finished.)

Thanks again, JD

E

Ellen

The new road you are talking about is still under construction. We drove it last month (no 4 wheel drive) and because of the rough conditions and obstacles along the way it took about as long as the paved road. I recommend the paved road but the other is certainly an option.

J

JD

Thank you Ellen. Did you drive to El Limon and visit the waterfalls? What was it like? Eager to hear more- JD

E

Ellen

Never went to the waterfalls but we will be back in a couple weeks and will do so then. By the way, the upaved road has dozens of "waterfall" stops along the way. Lots of interesting looking little places all decked out with waterfall signs...

N

Natasha Lopez

JD:

My husband and I honeymooned in Samana this past summer and this is what we did. Since we were staying in Gran Bahia Hotel, which is sort of halfway between Las galeras and the actual town of Samana, we rented a motorcycle (don't ask what we were thinking) and headed for Las terrenas. After passing through "downtown" Samana, we took the road that Pariser is referring to. It was indeed unpaved, extremely bumpy, and I don't recommend it until it is finished. Once it is paved, this would be a better route to head to El Limon. While travelling on this road we came to an intersection where the signs for the waterfalls start to appear. From the hotel, it took us over an hour to get here, but then again we were travelling on a motorcycle. We did not go to the waterfalls since we just did not have the stamina, but we continued on to Las terrenas. Coming from this road you totally bypass Sanchez and instead come by way of El Portillo. Now, if you go through Sanchez, then you will indeed take a long, winding paved road that will eventually decend to Las terrenas. Like DR One, it is extremely picturesque, so you have to be careful. We took this road back to the hotel.

Assuming that the road is not finished, then you will have to travel from Las galeras through Samana through Sanchez to Las T. and then to El Limon, or take the yellow taxi that DR One suggests.

That motorbike experience was just awsome since we pretty much circled the whole penninsula. Although we did not go to El Limon, I have a feeling we would have traded Las terrenas for it. Las T. area is great. It is touristy, but not extremely, and it is indeed a fun place to hang out for a couple of hours (for us 2). We much prefer Las galeras.

By the way, we had a local person take us to El Rincon on a 4WD. I HIGHLY recommend this trip, but I'd advise you to take a boat there, need I say more. If you have questions, don't hesitate to e-mail.

Hope this helps,

Natasha

J

JD

We've got 4 days and a morning to play with - thanks for your suggestions. But I don't think I can convince my travel partner to change hotels so many times. It sounds like we can do the whale tour/cayo levantado (as well as the rincon tour) easily enough from las galeras, so we probably don't need to switch hotels to Samana. (Fortunately, Kim Beddall takes you to Cayo Levantado as part of her famous whale watch tour, so we can do those both in one day.)

But not sure about a Limon waterfalls/Las Terrenas tour. Can those 2 realistically be done in one day together (e.g. morning at the falls, afternoon touring Terrenas beaches) and still return to Las Galeras before dark? Or, after a tour of Limon/Terrenas, should we definitely stay in Las Terrenas for our last night before heading to Santo Domingo the following afternoon?

It's REALLY hard to gauge how long the Limon waterfalls tour will take from Las Galeras all around, whether or not we allot some time to tour Las Terrenas!

Once again your help is much appreciated :) We are trying to pack a lot into the week and being able to plan all this in advance will continues to maximize our ability to do that!

D

DR One

Don't remember how many nights you have. But you could always spend two nights in Las Terrenas, and take the tour from there to El Lim?n, also take the 4 wheel bike tour to Coz?n and other lovely beaches. Then spend two nights in Samana and visit Cayo Levantado and do the whale tour. Then spend two nights in Las Galeras and visit Playa Rinc?n.

D

DR One

Spend the last evening in Las Terrenas. I know that if you book early into the Portillo hotel you can take the 4 wheel bike excursion of the Terrenas areas beaches, that are "wow!" beaches, and still have time to visit El Lim?n in the afternoon, or vice versa. And then you come back to relax under the stars.

J

JD

Thanks Dolores, that sounds wonderful! (It is snowing right now here so it sounds even better :)

Which are the "wow" beaches of Las Terrenas? Playa Cozon? You can only get to these by 4WD or mountain bike?

H

Harvey

New road has been under construction for last four years and will take more than several years to complete. Try Hotel Las Cayenas in Las Terrenas. Small and on Cacao Beach. I have been staying there two or three times per year last five years. Phone (809)-240-6080. ask for Marie. You can get to Playa Cazon or Playa Bonito by moto-concho or taxi. Both are great. My wife and I will be there for two weeks Feb.1. I would stay on the main road much faster. You can also take a moto-concho to Limon but it is a hard ride.

D

DR One

Yes, you will need a 4 wheel drive or a 4 wheel motorbike, not mountain bike.

J

JD

Las Terrenas small hotels/guest houses

Thank you for the recommendation. We had been considering Los Pinos (Los Tres Pinos?) on the road to Portillo (and also the nearby Casa Robinson) or the Acaya on Punta Bonita. Anyone know about those? Which is better to stay on - the beach along the Portillo road, or Punta Bonita on the other side of Las Terrenas? We like quiet and clean, and also need to keep expenses down. Of course we shouldn't be too, too picky as it will only be for one night.

Muchas gracias amigos!

H

Harvey

Re: Las Terrenas small hotels/guest houses

JD, if you need more information contact me at hreis@isoc.net, Los Pinos is OK. Beach just across the street. Area is not to crowded but is only 10 minutes from main road. Resturants and other hotels nearby. rooms for two people should be about $30 US, with breakfast. Reservations should not be necessary. One day in Las Terrenas is not enough it grows on you. I leave for the DR 31 January.