Training For Sosua Firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

"Last week, U.S. firefighters gave instructions to their colleagues from Sos?a.

"The fire department of Sos?a has recently been expanded with two fully equipped modern fire trucks. But the Sos?a firefighters didn't have the skills to cope with the modern equipment. The firefighters from the USA demonstrated how the material should be used. In addition, they showed how to fight a fire in an urban area. How to ensure that the neighboring properties are not damaged by the fire or the water used. Furthermore, they gave instructions on how to deal with a fire where the view through the smoke was limited to a minimum."

One of the trucks, looking shiny and almost new, was parked in front of La Roca during the food festival. It had an Ontario license plate. Hopefully the chief will be able to find the key next time there is a fire in Sosua.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
They should also be trained in vehicle extrications and be provided with "JAWS OF LIFE" equipment!!! Hope they took good notes!!!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I hope they sent the maintenance books with the trucks and other equip. Be interesting to see what they look like in a year. Maybe some Dom. Firefighters should go for some training in the US or Canada. Hope it all works out.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
training is not that bad

Actually,as far as the capital,they have a pretty decent curriculum,almost the same as the U.S.The main problem are the rigs and no personal protective equipment for the guys

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
just curious, is there actually a fire station and a full time crew in sosua and do they have EMS certified people ?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"certified", no! they are paid next to nothing, poorly trained and work on a semi volunteer basis. I watched a car burn to the tires in SD one afternoon as the firefighters attacked it directly in the smoke plume without any breathing apparatus. The smoke from burning foam rubber in car seats is very toxic. You cannot save a fully involved car, its junk and it was a tragedy to see these young guys get poisoned in the smoke because they do not know any better. In order to be safe firegighting takes a lot of training. The effects of breathing the poisons in smoke takes a long time to cause COPD and many forms of cancer. Firefighting is a very dangerous activity and it takes training and experience to be done in a safe manner. To fully equip, train and certify our fire department is financially beyond the reach of Sosua. We are doing as well as can be expected with what we have. Hats off to these brave guys.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Can't speak to Sosua, but Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo bomberos are very well trained and fairly well equipped. Puerto Plata has one company located in the historic firehouse on the malecon. They have 2 engines, 1 rescue truck, 1 tanker and 1 ambulance. Santo Domingo has 13 fire stations. Cuerpo de Bomberos de Sto. Dgo. and Mapa de Estaciones CBSD
According to their training manual, they receive the equivalent of Firefighter I and II training in the US. Cuerpo de Bomberos de Sto. Dgo.

A sobering thought for those living in Santo Domingo, I haven't seen any ladder trucks in the DR. I guess with the prevalence of concrete construction they don't see the need. I would be a little worried if I lived above the second floor though. I guess the FDNY is wasting money on ladder trucks.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
not at all belmont

Can't speak to Sosua, but Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo bomberos are very well trained and fairly well equipped. Puerto Plata has one company located in the historic firehouse on the malecon. They have 2 engines, 1 rescue truck, 1 tanker and 1 ambulance. Santo Domingo has 13 fire stations. Cuerpo de Bomberos de Sto. Dgo. and Mapa de Estaciones CBSD
According to their training manual, they receive the equivalent of Firefighter I and II training in the US. Cuerpo de Bomberos de Sto. Dgo.

A sobering thought for those living in Santo Domingo, I haven't seen any ladder trucks in the DR. I guess with the prevalence of concrete construction they don't see the need. I would be a little worried if I lived above the second floor though. I guess the FDNY is wasting money on ladder trucks.

Every fire department in the world has to adapt to their environment.If you go to Caracas,the metro department even has a mountain rescue unit.The F.D.N.Y. has ladder trucks due to the fact that in New York city you have every type pf building,from private dwellings to projects to high rise office building.Also ladder trucks carry different equipment than engine companies and the firefighter are cross trained on both type of operations,meaning the engine puts out the fire while the ladder personnel will force entry to the occupancy,do a search simultaneously for any survivors and overhaul and look for any remaining pockets of fire.So you do need ladder companies in N.Y. They are also in charge of vehicle extrication

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Trucks do not fight fires. The car fire I witnessed was in Santo Domingo. The men were poorly trained and seemed to have no idea of the danger of inhaling smoke. Their engine was equipped with air masks but they did not use them. Poorly trained firefighters get killed. From what I witnessed the firefighters in Santo Domingo have a lot of enthusism but little else no matter what they write in their training manual. While I am sympathetic of their plight I am not a supporter of volunteer fire systems. The DR does not put much of a priority on fire protection. As far as EMS my only experience was in Puerto Plata when I witnessed a serious head on car accident. 911 did not answer the phone, it just rang and rang and rang. What they need down here is a "budget fire" where there is a hugh financial loss. I wish we could compare NYFD with the DR fire departments. Atruck is a good start for Sosua.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua's New Fire Truck

mmx5ir.jpg

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Atruck is a good start for Sosua.

True. And you hope to think that pride in ownership, pride in their profession will take hold, and you end up with some real emergency services for the area. Good for everyone.

Besides, someone has to be ready to save the Blue Hairs when they drink too much and need defribulated.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Every fire department in the world has to adapt to their environment.If you go to Caracas,the metro department even has a mountain rescue unit.The F.D.N.Y. has ladder trucks due to the fact that in New York city you have every type pf building,from private dwellings to projects to high rise office building.Also ladder trucks carry different equipment than engine companies and the firefighter are cross trained on both type of operations,meaning the engine puts out the fire while the ladder personnel will force entry to the occupancy,do a search simultaneously for any survivors and overhaul and look for any remaining pockets of fire.So you do need ladder companies in N.Y. They are also in charge of vehicle extrication
I was being facetious is stating FDNY is wasting money on ladder companies. My point was, Santo Domingo has multi-story structures and no ladder companies. How many highrise fires occur in spite of building codes and materials? My point is, it is a disaster waiting to happen in SD. Ignoring is not adapting.
BTW in NY, Squad companies are first assignment to vehicle entrapments, not ladders anymore.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think there is any doubt the truck is old. Canada is not going to be sending new equipment to Sosua. But it looks in great shape and is certainly much better than what Sosua has at present. Hopefully it will look as good a year from now.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
with all due respect

I was being facetious is stating FDNY is wasting money on ladder companies. My point was, Santo Domingo has multi-story structures and no ladder companies. How many highrise fires occur in spite of building codes and materials? My point is, it is a disaster waiting to happen in SD. Ignoring is not adapting.
BTW in NY, Squad companies are first assignment to vehicle entrapments, not ladders anymore.

Ladder companies are first assigned to extrications along with an engine.If its a confirmed pinned job then rescue and squad get assigned.And I agree with you,its a disasters waiting to happen not having ladder trucks in SD

Uncledee295

Apr 6, 2005
I was there

Ok, Ok, OK. I am one of the firemen that helped with the training in Sosua. Believe it or not those guys have more of a general knowledge when it comes to EMS (emegercy medical service) related incidents. The biggest problem with them is medical supplies, equipment, resources and planning. They don't even have medical gloves when dealing with body fluid. As far as fighting fires, they have to do it old school. If you look at history of the fire service, back in the day those firemen did not wear SCBA'S (breathing apparatus) either. We called them smoke eaters. :) They only have 2 SCBA'S for 8 guys. We talked to the Chief in Sosua and they do not have money to buy the equipment for a modern fire department. ( gotta do it old school ). If you are a retired fireman, go by the firehall in Charamicos and assist them in training and procedures in becoming a better fire dept. If you live in Sosua or around that area it will benefit you to support them. They are having a new firehall built on the main highway in about a year. Each time we come to DR we will train with them. On our next visit we plan to bring training manuals, medic bags with medical supplies and what ever our Director in Chief will allow. Trust me, they know more than you think ( the firemen in sosua.) They just need a little direction, training, procedures/policies ( for incident operations) and resources as far as equipment. Remember that for 2 different shifts they only have 16 firemen (8 men per shift). They have a large area to cover with very little manpower. For large incidents they have to wait for assistance from Puerto Plata or other areas. Too much distance to make a difference. I have been a fireman/engineer for 15 years and would go in a burning building with the guys ( firemen) in sosua. They are building and training and need a little help and assistance. If you look at any city's history about fire service, they had to start somewhere. I think that in time with resources available, they just may surprise you one day. (years down the road of course) I will remain in touch with the firemen and try to support them each time I travel to the DR. Until next time, take care, and be safe. For the firemen, if you go, then we go. First in and last out.

Status
Not open for further replies.