Columbus Rum

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Anyone like this rum? I've taken a liking to it lately, especially when I took this photo, a bit tipsy, on Cayo Arena :)

I still enjoy Brugal Extra Viejo but Columbus is growing on me

Columbus-Rum.jpg

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
IMHO Columbus is a "production" rum made for the tourist trade, but it is very smooth and tasty. Not harsh.
Real "artisan" rums, though mass produced, are Macorix A?ejo, Bermudez Aniversario and Barcel? Gran Reserva.
These are sipping rums, perhaps over ice and with a lemon peel as you like it, and with a a fine puro.
Brugal Aniversario and anything like it that comes in a fancy ceramic toursty bottle is, well, crap.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Anyone like this rum? I've taken a liking to it lately, especially when I took this photo, a bit tipsy, on Cayo Arena :)

Columbus-Rum.jpg
At least the bottle is in focus. ;) Columbus is a good tasting rum. I'm a great fan of Platinum on the rocks with tonic and a piece of lemon. It beats Gin & Tonic.

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002

Columbus-Rum.jpg

Me too! We get to Cayo Arena once every 2 weeks or so. It is the only rum served out there, (and they serve a lot). It is great! Sipping quality.

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
Great Rum

Me too! We get to Cayo Arena once every 2 weeks or so. It is the only rum served out there, (and they serve a lot). It is great! Sipping quality.

I totally agree, my uncle is a distributor and I buy them by the case. This has become my Christmas gift and everyone loves it. Enjoy.....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is a smooth tasting rum but I quit buying it because it freezes in the freezer so I figured it must have a bunch of water in it.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Agreed

I agree, smooth tasting rum and quite a bargain! I remember the first time I purchased a bottle was at a licoreria last year and it was VERY cheap i think it was 2 for the price of 1 $299RD I cant recollect but they convinced me to try it and i walked out of there with one bottle in each hand! :laugh::p

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Can we take a vote for the best Dominican Rum?

When I say best, that is up for personal taste but how about the most aged Dominican rum. I always thought that Brugal Siglo at 12 years was the most aged you could get but I could be totally wrong.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Barcelo has one that I believe is 25 years old. It comes in a tin casing. Tastes like Cognac.

Hard to find though.