euro coins

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
i have some euro coins that i inherited for a step son who went to europe. i tried to cash them in and lo and behold nobody in town including the banks will convert them. can anybody advise me as to why ? i understand the central bank will only take paper money . is there a real good reason as to why they are not"coin of the realm" and convertible. can i just eat at a restaurant and pay in these euro coins?
thanks in advance for all info

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
. is there a real good reason as to why they are not"coin of the realm" and convertible.
Because they aren't the coin of this realm. Don't feel bad, US coins aren't accepted either, anything paid in US is rounded up to the nearest dollar.
It probably would cause quite a scene if you tried to pay a restaurant in Euro coins. They would have an easy time convincing you to pay in paper, plastic or local currency.

Feb 7, 2007
Usually, coins are not accepted for currency exchange transaction beyond the borders of the issuing country (region, in case of Euro).

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Not in Euro banks either anymore, you are stuck with them.
Nah... If you are anywhere in a tourist area (PC, Sosua, LT) offer the coins to a EU tourist (together with your plausible story) at a premium 35 to 40 peso/1 ?. Surely one will take the bite.
But hurry before the Germans get back to their Deutschmark! :cheeky:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Nah... If you are anywhere in a tourist area (PC, Sosua, LT) offer the coins to a EU tourist (together with your plausible story) at a premium 35 to 40 peso/1 €. Surely one will take the bite.
But hurry before the Germans get back to their Deutschmark! :cheeky:

That's the OP's best bet. (Don't know about the DM :) ). During high season, when travelling, I allways have US and Canadian coins offered to me by the baggage guys to the shoe shine kids at POP airport.