Lawyers for Non-profit

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
We are trying to obtain 501(c)3 non-profit status for our Birth Center in Santiago yet I am getting quotes from lawyers for preparing and doing everything...between $4,000-$12,000. Why such a huge difference? Anyone with any experience in this? How much should it be?
Anyone also have experience with it in DR, we'll have to do it there too. Any idea if the price?
Thanks,

SHALENA

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
There is a huge price difference among attorneys throughout the US, based on experience.

In starting a non-profit, you may not necessarily need an attorney. I'm assuming that most of the US work will be fundraising and collection of donated items, which will then be shipped to the DR.

Hints: I have seen other people start non-profits, and they form a board of directors of people with diverse professional talents and with big hearts. Then, an attorney and/or CPA on the board can donate their time and services and get a tax deduction. Also, federal regulations mandate that banks have to donate to charity, and so a bank vice-president for community relations loves serving on such a board. Google "non-profit assistance" and you will find lots of helpful hints.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
There is a huge price difference among attorneys throughout the US, based on experience.

In starting a non-profit, you may not necessarily need an attorney. I'm assuming that most of the US work will be fundraising and collection of donated items, which will then be shipped to the DR.

Hints: I have seen other people start non-profits, and they form a board of directors of people with diverse professional talents and with big hearts. Then, an attorney and/or CPA on the board can donate their time and services and get a tax deduction. Also, federal regulations mandate that banks have to donate to charity, and so a bank vice-president for community relations loves serving on such a board. Google "non-profit assistance" and you will find lots of helpful hints.

Thanks! This is becoming a full-time job! I'm still working on the website!

SHALENA

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Shalena,

A while ago, I helped a group get 501-c(3) status in the US. They did not have a lot of money and I arranged for pro bono work on it through a law school.

Can you contact the nearest law school and talk to them about helping?

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Setting up a not-for-profit corporation is a no brainer that any lay person can do. The quoted charges are outrageous. Trust me, I'm a lawyer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Setting up a not-for-profit corporation is a no brainer that any lay person can do. The quoted charges are outrageous. Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
May be.

It's the required accounting and auditing that will cost dearly.

Been there, done that.

AND if you open a facility in the DR that will require another set of legal and accounting pros.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks, everyone. We have also found some law firms that will let us do the work and they will review it all for any.errors or omissions. I think that we will go that route. It's not cheap still but its cheapER.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone have any experience with any reputable lawyers in the DR who work with/for non-profits?

SHALENA

Jan 9, 2004
Shalena:

Kudos to your idea and philanthropic intent. Your enthusiasm for this project is projected in your posts.

As one who sits as a Director and Chairman on differents Boards, one of which is a non-profit, please allow me to offer some guidance not already discussed here.

First, foremost, and before anything, Write a business Plan. You may think of yourself as a non-profit, and you very well may be one, but you MUST think and act like a business. Literally hundreds of non-profits fail in the first three years because they have a wonderful idea....but no plan. This document, while painstaking and time consuming, will serve you well as your roadmap and reference.

Second, and almost as important....your board of directors. Far to many non-profits stack their boards with people of collective experience and skill, i.e. a medical non-profit board made up of doctors, nurses, people in healthcare. That is another prescription for disaster. Your board should reflect various and diverse skillsets, preferably some with economic and political connections.

These are the two most important...and most often not followed pieces of advice in bringing an otherwise wonderful idea to fruition via a non-profit entity.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Shalena:

Kudos to your idea and philanthropic intent. Your enthusiasm for this project is projected in your posts.

As one who sits as a Director and Chairman on differents Boards, one of which is a non-profit, please allow me to offer some guidance not already discussed here.

First, foremost, and before anything, Write a business Plan. You may think of yourself as a non-profit, and you very well may be one, but you MUST think and act like a business. Literally hundreds of non-profits fail in the first three years because they have a wonderful idea....but no plan. This document, while painstaking and time consuming, will serve you well as your roadmap and reference.

Second, and almost as important....your board of directors. Far to many non-profits stack their boards with people of collective experience and skill, i.e. a medical non-profit board made up of doctors, nurses, people in healthcare. That is another prescription for disaster. Your board should reflect various and diverse skillsets, preferably some with economic and political connections.

These are the two most important...and most often not followed pieces of advice in bringing an otherwise wonderful idea to fruition via a non-profit entity.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
And put RICH GUYS on your board! Prolly THE most important point...IF you want to be economically viable.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Shalena:

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Absolutely!

There's plenty of cost free resources to help out with the development of the business and lots of folks to network with who have already gone down that path.

MBDA - Log In to MBDA

..and the advice on diversity of career and experience backgrounds of board members is very important. I have made the mistake of employing too many "left brain" people in the past and they ended up arguing about the mountains and tripping over the molehills.

Good Luck, SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I would agree with this 50%. Writing a business plan isn't enough.

She needs to write a COMPREHENSIVE business plan that explains in detail not only the feel-good warm and fuzzies, but every aspect of how the organization plans to organize, market, fund and spend along with proforma income statements and balance sheets.

THAT is how to attract a credible Board and donors.

A crap plan of a poorly thought-out model with financial models with huge holes in them that demonstrate an inability to be an to think and act like an executive will do her far more harm than good.

The only real differences between a non-profit and a for-profit in the ability to attract "revenues" (donations) tax free for the organization and tax deductable for customers (donors), and inability to pass on profits to shareholders as dividends. Other than that, a non-profit operates exactly like any other business in most respects.

Jan 9, 2004
I would agree with this 50%. Writing a business plan isn't enough.

She needs to write a COMPREHENSIVE business plan that explains in detail not only the feel-good warm and fuzzies, but every aspect of how the organization plans to organize, market, fund and spend along with proforma income statements and balance sheets.

THAT is how to attract a credible Board and donors.

A crap plan of a poorly thought-out model with financial models with huge holes in them that demonstrate an inability to be an to think and act like an executive will do her far more harm than good.

The only real differences between a non-profit and a for-profit in the ability to attract "revenues" (donations) tax free for the organization and tax deductable for customers (donors), and inability to pass on profits to shareholders as dividends. Other than that, a non-profit operates exactly like any other business in most respects.

Ok Ok lol. She needs to write a comprehensive business plan. Of course, that is what I meant but did not expand upon....and lets not forget the Mission statement, management team, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, I understand. Will do. Will post here for your expert reviews when its done, I'm still working on the website (I'm only on page 2), and the solicitation of donations letter....whew!

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Finding rich people for our board will be a little hard, I don't know anyone with that kind of money

SHALENA

Jan 9, 2004
Ok, I understand. Will do. Will post here for your expert reviews when its done, I'm still working on the website (I'm only on page 2), and the solicitation of donations letter....whew!

SHALENA

Just a (strong) suggestion....do your comprehensive (credit to CB) business plan first....vetting it amongst colleagues and other professionals (accountants etc.) for critique. The website will be easy after the plan is done.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
S,

There are as many different do's and don't as there are NPO/NGO's and some people did everything right and failed and some have done things all wrong and succeeded after fits and restarts.

The biggest asset you have in your attempts to start an NPO are your passion for what it is that you're trying to accomplish. There's loads of templates and ideas (free) for business plans and tere's even free expert help for review and recommendations so you really don't need to overthink the nuts and bolts of the creation process. I also don't think you'll need to look too far for patrons. You are starting this effort in a field in which you have worked for years. You already have a network of contacts and the same people who sit on the boards of hospitals and medical colleges know many of the same people with whom you've been working for years. These people understand that passion is an indicator for dedication and that you know what you're doing when it comes down to the core purpose of your organization. That is the strength of the organization you are trying to put together.

Staring an NGO

How to start a successful NGO in 10 steps | Matador Network

starting a NPO: founder's requirements

Starting up an NPO | The Beehive - Durban

Info: Starting a NPO

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZ2HcRl4wSk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZ2HcRl4wSk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Also Shalena since you are studying for your master, you could use this project in your studies too.

You could also enlist the help of one of your professor.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Finding rich people for our board will be a little hard, I don't know anyone with that kind of money

SHALENA
Then you have a LOT of knocking on doors and cold calling to do.

Without proper funding you'll go no where.