Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Foods

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Foods

Seeing as there is still no"Food" thread on dr1 I shall post here. What is the best root vegetable to substitute for Turnips/Swede/ Swede,Turnip here in a stew or casserole?

2. Likes carlito bregante liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by granca View Post
    Seeing as there is still no"Food" thread on dr1 I shall post here. What is the best root vegetable to substitute for Turnips/Swede/ Swede,Turnip here in a stew or casserole?
    The common root vegetable in Dominican cuisine is the yuca (cassava). You can use it anywhere anther root vegetable is called for.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Also used extensivly are Taro(eddoes), Yautia(mora), Ńame(yam), Calabaza (squash). I eat them all as well as papa, and papá. The one most similar to turnips is Rábano. It has a strong flavour and a light orange/yellow colour.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get turnips in Playero in Sosua. They are called Nabo. Took me awhile to figure it out, as it looked like a big white carrot, but the taste was right.

Lindsey

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the above. If you mash auyama (pumpkin) with carrots it tastes exactly like swede! I find the best in stews are ńame and yautia. Batata are too sweet and my yuca always ends up stringy. Also I use plantains cut into chunks and green guineo too.

Matilda

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be better if it was just food.

8. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Turnip in Spanish is nabo but the ones sold here (daikon) are OK but not what we would recognise as turnips. I agree with Bob that what are known as "rábanos" in the mountains - cepa de apio/celery root/celeriac - are the closest tastewise to turnip and parsnip. Bear in mind that it is not available everywhere and that "rábano" also means radish.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread.

I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite dish?

Mine would probably have to be rice and beans and pollack or roasted eggplant, fried green plantains and a green salad. Not only delicious but healthy too.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had to pick only ONE Dominican food, it would have to be arepita de yuca. They are SOOOO good. Not the healthiest, because they're fried, but I could make a meal on them if they're cooked correctly! Sancocho would be a close second.

AE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite dish?
    Dominicana al la cruda!!!!! jejejejejeje

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast