Dominican Foods

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Seeing as there is still no"Food" thread on dr1 I shall post here. What is the best root vegetable to substitute for Turnips/Swede/ Swede,Turnip here in a stew or casserole?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Seeing as there is still no"Food" thread on dr1 I shall post here. What is the best root vegetable to substitute for Turnips/Swede/ Swede,Turnip here in a stew or casserole?
The common root vegetable in Dominican cuisine is the yuca (cassava). You can use it anywhere anther root vegetable is called for.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Also used extensivly are Taro(eddoes), Yautia(mora), ?ame(yam), Calabaza (squash). I eat them all as well as papa, and pap?. The one most similar to turnips is R?bano. It has a strong flavour and a light orange/yellow colour.

Aug 21, 2007
You can get turnips in Playero in Sosua. They are called Nabo. Took me awhile to figure it out, as it looked like a big white carrot, but the taste was right.

Lindsey

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
All of the above. If you mash auyama (pumpkin) with carrots it tastes exactly like swede! I find the best in stews are ?ame and yautia. Batata are too sweet and my yuca always ends up stringy. Also I use plantains cut into chunks and green guineo too.

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Turnip in Spanish is nabo but the ones sold here (daikon) are OK but not what we would recognise as turnips. I agree with Bob that what are known as "r?banos" in the mountains - cepa de apio/celery root/celeriac - are the closest tastewise to turnip and parsnip. Bear in mind that it is not available everywhere and that "r?bano" also means radish.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Great thread.

I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite dish?

Mine would probably have to be rice and beans and pollack or roasted eggplant, fried green plantains and a green salad. Not only delicious but healthy too.

Reactions: Vicki G

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If I had to pick only ONE Dominican food, it would have to be arepita de yuca. They are SOOOO good. Not the healthiest, because they're fried, but I could make a meal on them if they're cooked correctly! Sancocho would be a close second.

AE

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If I had to pick only ONE Dominican food, it would have to be arepita de yuca. They are SOOOO good. Not the healthiest, because they're fried, but I could make a meal on them if they're cooked correctly! Sancocho would be a close second.

AE
YES, with a little lime juice....hmmm good.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

AE

They are good. There is also something somewhat similar made of yucca, but grated finer than the arepas and seasoned with salt and paprika and fried. We call them chulos here in cibao.

Yuca mashed or no with mojo sauce. Pollo guisado. Berenjenas guisadas (this dish reminds me of Moroccan eggplant salad). Guinea guisada. Ensalada de papas y atun con perejil, ensalada de mango y carambola. Pescado asado. Y flan flan flan :p, each household has its own recipe.
I better go walk now :knockedou

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
When I am in DR, I look forward to, believe or not, the lambi sold by the beach vendors with a shot of mamajuana. mmmmm

I also like the fried fish and totones you get from the vendors around the beach area.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
For those of us who live here full time, and who do not have access to the upscale supermarkets, one of the challenges is trying to turn what you can buy here into the food you loved when you lived in your home country. For example you can make excellent burgers by hand, substitute goat for lamb to make delicious Turkish lamb/goat stew with aubergines and chickpeas, make home made pizza using fresh tomatoes for the sauce, humus is easy as you can easily find chickpeas, limes, garlic and olive oil.

I miss some products from the UK, but with a little inventiveness the produce here can be used to make great meals, 365 days a year.

matilda

Reactions: Vicki G

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
When I am in DR, I look forward to, believe or not, the lambi sold by the beach vendors with a shot of mamajuana. mmmmm

I also like the fried fish and totones you get from the vendors around the beach area.

You should eat the Lambi with a shot of Limon over it and drink the Mamajuana right afterwards,
a great "during the Day Snack", he he

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for everything Fishy,
specially Dorado/Mahi(the small schoolies), small Groupers/Mero and Full Red Snapper/Chillo,
try them in the Gas Oven/Orno de Gas, on the lowest Flame to get their Time on lowest Heat,
they come out better tasting than any Meal available at any NYC Selfnamed 5 Star Gourmet Palais.
serve it with a simple Salad of Veggies/Potatoes/Cebollas/Eggs(vary by your own taste) and add a bit of white Rice to the Plates, Your Invites will Kill for da Meal

Mike