Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Foods

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dropshort View Post
    Moro Habichuela Negra con Pollo

So good! I love this with some pork too! (Christmas food anyone?!)

2. Likes ExtremeR liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

moro de habichuela con pollo guisado, aguacate and platanos al caldero.
    my other favorite is mang˙ con huevo frito, queso blanco (not fried) and lots of onions.

4. Likes CoreyH liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Today for lunch: Wasacaca roasted chicken, casabe bread(al ajillo), rice and black beans(moro) and green salad. Life is good.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Had it today..My favorite..Sancocho.OMG..sooo good. Con arroz blanco. Very good.

7. Likes KATIEJAY liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that roast aubergines are good, recipe please. We had Yuca the other day, no problems but boiled it had no flavour, suggestions please,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen smoked meat. smoked bacon. smoked salami here but where can I find smoked fish? How else could I make kedgeree/

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You could make it with bacalau which is salted cod rather than smoked yellow haddock (!) but it works. You can buy it in any colmado and you need to soak it to get some of the salt out. It flakes like yellow haddock - not quite the best kedgeree in the world but it works.

Aubergines: cut up, sprinkle generously with salt and put in a sieve over a bowl for 30 mins plus. The bitter liquid will drain out. Rinse, sprinkle with olive oil, garlic, basil if you have it and roast in oven for around 45 mins. If you want to, add chunks of peppers, onions and tomatoes for a great ratatouille.

Matilda

11. Likes granca liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by granca View Post
    I have heard that roast aubergines are good, recipe please. We had Yuca the other day, no problems but boiled it had no flavour, suggestions please,
    It is just like potato. If you don't salt it or add other condiments it has little taste.

I eat it the traditional way mostly boiled with salt added to the water. I like to eat it with Gouda cheese or a sweet smoked sausage from La Sirena has called "Maseca".

It is also very good in soup and even better than potato because it really absorbs the flavor of the soup.

13. Likes granca liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yuca is great in soup as Chip says. When I boil yuca I either add salt to the water or pop in a chicken cube or two. While it's boiling, I sautÚ some red onions in olive oil. Drain the yuca, put it in a serving bowl and pour the onion and a bit of the oil over it. Some Dominicans add vinegar to the onions, but I personally don't like vinegar.

AE

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention that you need to put a plate with a weight on it on top of the aubergines to squeeze the bitter juice out a bit. And Alter ego, how exactly do you cook yuca as mine is always stringy and horrid. Do you put it in boiling water or cold and bring it to the boil??

Matilda

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast