Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Dominican Foods

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    fried empanadas do not taste anything close to baked empanadas. i realize that taste is subjective, but the dough is different, and all that oil just tastes horrible, and is no good for your health.
    Jeez. FIRST time I had a fried empanada? There is a lil cuchifrito spot off Delancey and Rivington(maybe?) St. in LES. I was intrigued. They looked good under them steamy yellow spotlights. Big old balls of meat wrapped in dough. I had one of them olive drab green military trenchcoats on. You know the kind they sell for $10 at the Army Navy Supply? That fried empanada left so much grease in the pockets of that coat I couldnt wear it for the rest of the season. Fried empanadas my ass.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    fried empanadas do not taste anything close to baked empanadas. i realize that taste is subjective, but the dough is different, and all that oil just tastes horrible, and is no good for your health.
    Empanadas aren't marketed as a health item to begin with. Taste is definitely subjective, most Dominican places make very good ones but I've had the unfortunate experience of occasionally having one that was fried in perhaps really bad oil and/with poor seasoning. Fried empanadas bode extremely well with Dominicans and non-Dominicans alike here in the tri-state area and anywhere with Hispanic population.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrg2003 View Post
    Cubans bake their empanadas.  I live in Miami and yearn for a deep fried Dominican (pastelito) or Puerto Rican (pastelillo).  I can't find them here and the ones that are fried just aren't as good as what I'm used to in NYC.   Empanadas and other Cuban baked good were influenced by the French from Haiti that migrated to Cuba long ago during and after the revolution.  Haitians only bake their patties/empanadas.   
    Cubans do not bake all their empanadas, what they do have is a version that is baked in a flaky crust but they also make the fried empanadas and those are the ones you are more likely to find at Cuban bakeries and restaurants. NJ has the 2nd largest Cuban population outside of Miami (Union City and Elizabeth, NJ to be exact) so I am no stranger to Cuban food, apart from the fact that it's not that much different than Dominican food overall.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenmar237 View Post
    Cubans do not bake all their empanadas, what they do have is a version that is baked in a flaky crust but they also make the fried empanadas and those are the ones you are more likely to find at Cuban bakeries and restaurants. NJ has the 2nd largest Cuban population outside of Miami (Union City and Elizabeth, NJ to be exact) so I am no stranger to Cuban food, apart from the fact that it's not that much different than Dominican food overall.
    yes, they do make fried empanadas, as well as the baked versions. i have only seen baked empanadas in the DR at one location, and they were excruciatingly unpalatable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Great thread.

I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite dish?

Mine would probably have to be rice and beans and pollack or roasted eggplant, fried green plantains and a green salad. Not only delicious but healthy too.
    SANCOCHO!!

My fav so far...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334