DR1 needs a functioning calender

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Ocean World in Puerto Plata will have Oktoberfest for 3 days from noon until 10pm (or later), complete with Bavarian food specialties ]

DR1 really needs a functioning calendar. One for each region would be best. Threads like the Octoberfest are great, but if they aren't a sticky, and fall towards the bottom, lots of people can miss them. If you only check in once a week or longer, you can easily miss things like the Octoberfest, food festivals, park openings, dance marathons, clean-up days, etc, etc.

Scan the last few weeks threads and look at how many could have been placed into a calendar. A lot.

Entries would probably need to go thru a mod, to avoid nonsense, spam, etc. I can envision a business that's not an advertiser on DR1 wanting to post a "function". If it was a legitmate function for the communty, a mod could decide to let it post.

A successful online community neeeds a "bulletin board" where people can go and check upcoming dates & functions.

The North Coast is changing & growing - a calendar is much needed.

Feb 7, 2007
Chiri, those look more like events taken off SD culture guide. I think ctrob was talking more of community-oriented events.

Indeed ctrob! I posted a similar idea few weeks ago. For the North Coast, these are the events that I know of and it would be nice to plan vacations around them.

For the North Coast:

September

Beach Clean Up (Sosua)
Gastronomic Festival Of Sosua
Brugal Merengue Festival in Puerto Plata

October

North Coast Charity Golf Classic
Oktoberfest
Dance Marathon (Sosua)

November

Nov.3-6 Masters Surf Reunion 3
Nov. 9-12 Sosua, Casa Marina, & CabareteDR Jazz Festival Active Cabarete - Businesses
Nov. 24 Thanks Giving fundraising Kick off for Rocky's Charity New Years Eve Party (Sosua)

December

Dec. 17 The Mariposa DR Foundation's Annual Christmas Fair (Cabarete)
Dec. 31 Rocky's Charity New Years Eve Party (Sosua)

January

Jan. 13-14-15, 2012. 10th Caribbean Laser Midwinter Regatta (Cabarete)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
DR1 really needs a functioning calendar. One for each region would be best. Threads like the Octoberfest are great, but if they aren't a sticky, and fall towards the bottom, lots of people can miss them. If you only check in once a week or longer, you can easily miss things like the Octoberfest, food festivals, park openings, dance marathons, clean-up days, etc, etc.

Scan the last few weeks threads and look at how many could have been placed into a calendar. A lot.

Entries would probably need to go thru a mod, to avoid nonsense, spam, etc. I can envision a business that's not an advertiser on DR1 wanting to post a "function". If it was a legitmate function for the communty, a mod could decide to let it post.

A successful online community neeeds a "bulletin board" where people can go and check upcoming dates & functions.

The North Coast is changing & growing - a calendar is much needed.

I agree the present dr1 calendar has little relevance for the North Coast. Needed is a North Coast Calendar Editor who will receive the event info and see that it is included on the calendar.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I agree the present dr1 calendar has little relevance for the North Coast. Needed is a North Coast Calendar Editor who will receive the event info and see that it is included on the calendar.
Ken, you found your calling.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
We can only add events we know about. If you live on the North Coast or any other part of the DR and want events added, email them to Dolores ( dolores@dr1.com )

The same reason that you have the individual forums (north coast, northeast coast, etc) broken off in seperate areas, is the same reason you would have a Calender seperated by areas. It makes it more convenient to use, easier to find at the top of each forum screen, focused only on each particular area and submissions from users of that forums occupants/users.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The same reason that you have the individual forums (north coast, northeast coast, etc) broken off in seperate areas, is the same reason you would have a Calender seperated by areas. It makes it more convenient to use, easier to find at the top of each forum screen, focused only on each particular area and submissions from users of that forums occupants/users.

I agree ctrob. Good place for the north coast calendar would be as a sticky in the North Coast forum.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I agree ctrob. Good place for the north coast calendar would be as a sticky in the North Coast forum.

A sticky is good, but is there a reason it can't be a real calender and not just a "list" of events? Is it the code? Is it too difficult to write the code & have a calender that functions for each area's forum?

A list of events is better then nothing (thx Hllywd), but a real calender would benefit each community mo' better.

If the stumbling block is lack of design or a working process, I've got it all in my head if anyones interested. Not just any calender, but an awesome calender. Will work for Presidentes

This is a great community, it should have a great calender.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Wud, both for the sticky and for taking the initiative to make it happen. I hope that it will be used to keep those of us on the North Coast informed about activities of interest.