From boston with love

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
OK. So this site's contents represent about every part of the world where our country is represented but is silent about Boston? No way. Got to change that!

So what say you Boston? Digan algo, porfa. Let's share how long we've been enduring New England winters, what you like/don't like about Boston or the region, what brought you to Boston specifically, how often you visit the (DR) motherland, what you do for fun, and anything else you feel like sharing.

I'll start!
Been in the US for 30 years, 25 of those here in Boston. Love that it's a city with so much history, how often Boston is incorporated into movie/tv scripts, how increasingly often more and more movies are being fully or partially filmed here and that access to the country's best schools and hospitals is within such easy reach. DON'T like Boston winters! I don't mind the cold but nieve... that's another thing entirely.

I work in healthcare and keep busy otherwise volunteering as an ESL teacher, various church activities and hanging out with my husband and two kids.

About you?

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I love the Hahbah, the Mahnument of Pal Revee-ah and oh, can't get enough of that Bahstan lahbstah!
I go to Maine every single year and make a point of visiting Boston, one of the most beautiful cities in the USA, IMHO :) Love the people, the city, the food, the sites, the everything!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I like the City of Boston, especially the North End where all the great Italian food is. San Francisco, CA, San Diego, CA and Boston, MA are my favorite cities in the US. I do however hate the Red Sox, so it is always touch and go when I visit Boston.

I know there is a Dominican community there because we met people working in the shops who are from the DR and my wife has some acquaintances who live there. I am guessing that those people don't have any association with DR1. The people my wife knows have been in the US for 15 years and don't speak English. Hard to be on DR1 and not speak English.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I like the City of Boston, especially the North End where all the great Italian food is. San Francisco, CA, San Diego, CA and Boston, MA are my favorite cities in the US. I do however hate the Red Sox, so it is always touch and go when I visit Boston.

I know there is a Dominican community there because we met people working in the shops who are from the DR and my wife has some acquaintances who live there. I am guessing that those people don't have any association with DR1. The people my wife knows have been in the US for 15 years and don't speak English. Hard to be on DR1 and not speak English.

I was there Tues aft for an "as usual" incredible lunch........

Menu LaFamiglia La Famiglia Giorgio Italian Restaurant Boston Massachusetts 112 Salem Street North End Boston

Appetizers.....Bruschetta........Scallops Isabella.........Caesar salad, (with anchovies, of course) Veal Saltimbocca....Pasta.......

I was a happy guy.......

But deep down, I know I would've been happier in the Dominican Republic..........

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
I too am interested in what folks in Boston have to say, but I am on the other side; that is a lifelong Bostonian, who travels often to SD. My cultural education has two fronts / needs. I am always reading talking to and learning more about the RD, and have a growing network of friends in SD. However, in a few months my Dominican wife will move to Boston, so we are in need of meeting Dominicans in the greater Boston area. For example i know we will be relocating to a more urban area from my current south suburban beavercleaver neighborhood home. I know my wife will go crazy here with it's limited access to latin food, shops, centers and mass. trans...I am hoping to unearth some nice urban centers with solid Dominican populations to help support my wife's assimilation. She is educated, and adjusts well with all types of people, but this yankee town (not a sports comment btw), it stands to reason will be a shock for her. At the same time I do not feel the need to live in a hood with the highest shooting stats in the state...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I too am interested in what folks in Boston have to say, but I am on the other side; that is a lifelong Bostonian, who travels often to SD. My cultural education has two fronts / needs. I am always reading talking to and learning more about the RD, and have a growing network of friends in SD. However, in a few months my Dominican wife will move to Boston, so we are in need of meeting Dominicans in the greater Boston area. For example i know we will be relocating to a more urban area from my current south suburban beavercleaver neighborhood home. I know my wife will go crazy here with it's limited access to latin food, shops, centers and mass. trans...I am hoping to unearth some nice urban centers with solid Dominican populations to help support my wife's assimilation. She is educated, and adjusts well with all types of people, but this yankee town (not a sports comment btw), it stands to reason will be a shock for her. At the same time I do not feel the need to live in a hood with the highest shooting stats in the state...

My wife's cousin's live in Peabody and really like it. They speak English well and say the schools are nice - they have one in Grade 6.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

Lynn, Lawrence, and Methuen.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Beastwood I am confused by your post. Are you living IN Boston or a small town near Boston? There are many Dominicans living all over Massachusetts. Let us know your area and maybe we can tell you of a town close to you with Dominicans in it.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Beastwood I am confused by your post. Are you living IN Boston or a small town near Boston? There are many Dominicans living all over Massachusetts. Let us know your area and maybe we can tell you of a town close to you with Dominicans in it.
I live in Canton...essentially at the other other end of rt 138, not far from Blue Hill. Nice town, good mix of ethnic folks but....I fear a little slow for someone used to the bustle of SD.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I live in Canton...essentially at the other other end of rt 138, not far from Blue Hill. Nice town, good mix of ethnic folks but....I fear a little slow for someone used to the bustle of SD.

Sorry I can't help you with that area. I am in a small town in central Ma. I am in the middle of Worcester and Springfield. There are many Dominicans in both of those small cities and the smaller towns too.
She will adapt with your help. I did the opposite. I moved from my very small town to SD! Talk about a culture shock. LOL
I adapted by moving to the beach that had other expats like me. We learned to adapt together. Good Luck

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
There are many Dominicans living near the Allston area os Boston. Its where I lived during my last year of college. I'm sure there are many more Dominicans living there now, than when I lived there back in 1997.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005

Lotsa options. There are some good neighborhoods close to JP's Centre St. I am sure the OP could help you better than most here. BTW, the Lower Mills section of Dorchester is a good place to look also. Very diverse and good mass transit.

dlcrze

Mar 7, 2006
alguien sabe de algun medico con costos razonables para el examen medico de inmigracion en el area de boston?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My sister lives in Lynn,Mass. When I visit her,I feel right at "Home".There are thousands of Dominicans in Lynn.A Dominican "Colmado","Salon",or other Dominican owned business on every corner!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
My wife's cousin's live in Peabody and really like it. They speak English well and say the schools are nice - they have one in Grade 6.

Peabody is nice. North of Boston. My sister lives there. Quiet town though so if you are into clubs, night life, etc, this is definitely not the town :)