Pedro Clisante To Close To Cars At Night?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

There is good news for those who would like to see that the Pedro Clisante street will be closed for traffic in the evenings. This concerns the part between the Bermuda Bar (Fat Herman) and the Happy Bar. The restaurant owners should be able to set their chairs and tables with colorful umbrellas on the street. Visitors can enjoy dining outside without being disturbed by noisy and smoke erupting motoconchos or by loud hip hop music from passing cars.

Moreover, tourists can safely stroll along the street and visit the various shops, bars and restaurants. Both the Director of Construction projects, as the Tourism Director have indicated to be willing to cooperate in implementing the plans. Mayor Ilana Neumann also said that she has sympathy for the plans. Formerly the big stumbling block was the parking space. With the closure of streets, much parking space will disappear. Especially the residents thought of this as a serious objection. The street's business organization with spokesman Mr Wolfgang Sch?nner, owner of the 'Schnitzel Paradise' restaurant in the Pedro Clisante, announced that the parking problem is resolved. Within walking distance of the Pedro Clisante alternative parking space is available. Wolfgang will explain the precise solution to the parking problem at a later stage. It is now up to the city council to change the Pedro Clisante into a Boulevard.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
This is a stupid idea. Where are we going to park? There no empty lots near by. This will only bring more crime to the area.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Although this has been discussed for a number of years it may actually happen with the current mayor. I for one hope it does happen, it would be perfect to see a European style pedestrian boulevard where one can walk (or sometimes sway) around in the evening without having to think about the motoconchos or the pathetic little Hondo Accords with 2000 watts of music blasting away and then just stopping in the road to chat to a friend whilst 10 cars are behind all beeping their horns, emitting nasty exaust fumes whilst you are trying to enjoy a drink or dinner! The parking will not be a huge issue. If you count how many cars can actually park in the space between the Happy Bar and Fat Herman's it is not really that many, (especially as very few cars park in the block between Latino's and Fat Herman's anyway).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is a stupid idea. Where are we going to park? There no empty lots near by. This will only bring more crime to the area.

What is stupid is to condemn the plan before you know all the details. If you read the Sosua News piece you would have seen that this is a concern of many, but that a merchant-proponent says the parking problem has a solution. Let's see what is proposed.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
i hope the will do that....
close the street between 1800 and 0300...

and how many cars do park there??
about 30......
they will find a spot...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you could park in the new plaza or even playero and walk through the passageway near the jolly roger

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
you could park in the new plaza or even playero and walk through the passageway near the jolly roger
Actually a great idea. Playero could make a few extra $$. And let's not to forget the possibility of building a 3 story parking on that empty lot on PC with the ugly hole that we all complained about.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
And let's not to forget the possibility of building a 3 story parking on that empty lot on PC with the ugly hole that we all complained about.

Eddy, I think a newbie has stolen your identify.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy, I think a newbie has stolen your identify.
Is he a good newbie or a bad newbie? Bad I hope, I don't want people to think that I'm turning soft. ;)
BTW, I've always been in favor of a pedestrian PC at night. If it goes through, kudos to all involved.

Before I get blasted by all of you, I actually like the idea of no traffic at night on Pedro Clisante but as a long time member of Law Enforcement I am a little concerned about people walking on dark side streets back to a parking lot,The only 2 that come to mind would be Playeros parking lot or the Batey entrance to the beach. Are they going to better light these side streets and provide more police presence in the parking areas? Also the potential for robberies would also go up with Tourists leaving the discos with their companion for the evening if they have to walk back to their hotel or walk a few blocks to find motoconchos. I would just like them to think it out before just closing the street, If its done right it will be great if not it could be a little rough out there at night.