Severance pay for Gardner Shared by Neighborhood

bigfish

Jul 10, 2007
I live in a non-gated community. We have 10 homes that are in close proximity. We all chipped in and hired a gardener that we have now fired. We are a neighborhood of privately owned homes. We do not have condominiums, or tourist rentals. We used the gardener to clean up the sides of the road, and in front of our houses. Is this gardener due severance pay?

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
It would be the decent thing to do.

How long did he work for you? This link might help you in calculating how much it would be.

A lot more Dominicans are getting more informed of their rights concerning employment, but if they are illegal immigrants they might not go to the ministry of work.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Do the right thing and pay the severance if it is due as more than likely it will be a nominal amount.

bigfish

Jul 10, 2007
Severance pay for gardener shared by neighborhood

My queestion still is what is the law in this case.....from what I have read a domestic is considered not to be a domestic when working for a company or for a condominium or for someone who is making a profit from their work, such as a villa that is used for tourism rentals.......this is not the case....we just wanted our neighborhood to look nice and equally shared his salary voluntarily......

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My queestion still is what is the law in this case.....from what I have read a domestic is considered not to be a domestic when working for a company or for a condominium or for someone who is making a profit from their work, such as a villa that is used for tourism rentals.......this is not the case....we just wanted our neighborhood to look nice and equally shared his salary voluntarily......

Still not figured it out do you? There are threads on this matter and nothing really conclusive came out of those so for me that means that the law is not that really clear on this matter. And anyway, if you all shared voluntarily for his salary, what is then the problem in sharing voluntarily in giving the man a justified severance pay. Like said already here, if you don't, you have big change it will come back and bite you but that's not the reason you should do it, do it because its the fair thing to do.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
As others have already said, just pay the guy, and save yourselves a lot of head aches. Make sure you keep some type of record of what was paid.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Actually, I've seen a couple of cases in which maids have gone to the Ministry of Labor with complaints. Save yourselves the headache. And be a decent human being.