Wanting to Buy a Condo in Punta Cana Area

island lovers

Feb 24, 2007
Will be in Punta Cana in First week of March 2012 to look at purchasing a condo for vacation use/Rental and in a few years ...to be able to winter in DR. I want to spend up to $150,000 US. Need some general information on buying a condo in this area. IE. Negotiating deal, best areas, Safety, commuting within the area, etc.
Would appreciate any info you might find helpful. Have been doing some homework on this, but would love some input from locals and/or Ex-pats. I am setup to work with a realtor upon arrival.
Thanks you in advance.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Good. I see you say in a few years. Take your time and talk to people who have no intrest in seperating you from your money. Most people i know find it cheaper with no headaches to rent for the winter. 150k will buy you a decent 2 bedroom condo. Watch out for high condo fees and find out what the property tax threshhold is. 150k might put you in a position to pay the tax.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
RENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Take advantage of the suckers who bought!

Rent is CHEAP compared to buying! AND the lease laws are skewed toward the tenant!

Real estate is largely illiquid in the DR!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I've never been able to grasp the concept of real estate in the DR. When I was in the Cibao region looking at property, the shenanigans were like a Monty Python sketch. Everything from cost per meter to who actually had the title to the land was a Gordian Knot no one person was able to unravel.

Every aspect was a Kafka-esque layer that had to be peeled back only to reveal another layer that in the end was going to cost me more and more money than the original quoted price, which was inflated not by demand but by the fact that I live in New York City. My friend and I once stood around as a finca owner ranted about the last person he showed the property to, a Puerto Rican who wanted to negotiate a price he was unwilling to sell for. He then stated he would never sell to "those people", apparently because "ellos son del Diablo". I couldn't help but smile and agree vociferously with him :p:p:p while explaining to him why we could not do business. :p:p:p

In the capital, one of the funniest meetings I had involved someone quoting me a price for his house including all the furnishings. His wife, sitting right next to him, laughed and called him a "ladron" right to his face. She then went on about all of the difficulties they were encountering living there-everything from jacked up electricity prices, the constant apagones to the rash of inside-job burglaries by the staff who worked in the gated community in question.

Her husband was fuming so bad he just got up, walked upstairs to his bedroom and never returned. The house now lies vacant, and from what I understand there have been no bidders. Now they are trying to rent it for US $3,000 a month. I wish them all the luck in the world.

Not only that, the house next door has been vacant for 6 years for the same reason-the price. The owner, a Dominican who lives in NYC, has been waiting for some sucker to pay his inflated price and from what I've been told every time there is a prospective buyer he tells the real estate agent to jack the price up a little bit just to see how much he can squeeze out of the deal.

justdoit

May 3, 2011
Very helpful insight on DR1, thanks again to all participants...
Every time I'm thinking of "buying my piece of paradise" I revisit these posts and all I hear is "Rent! Rent! Rent!..."

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
Will be in Punta Cana in First week of March 2012 to look at purchasing a condo for vacation use/Rental and in a few years ...to be able to winter in DR. I want to spend up to $150,000 US. Need some general information on buying a condo in this area. IE. Negotiating deal, best areas, Safety, commuting within the area, etc.
Would appreciate any info you might find helpful. Have been doing some homework on this, but would love some input from locals and/or Ex-pats. I am setup to work with a realtor upon arrival.
Thanks you in advance.

I have found that the prices are getting much better in the Punta cana/ Bavaro are. You can go to Supercasas.com and look at the communities. I have seen them as low as 50,000.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One of CB's laws of Rhetorical Economics:

In the DomRep, the ease of selling property is inversely proportional to the ease of buying said property.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have found that the prices are getting much better in the Punta cana/ Bavaro are. You can go to Supercasas.com and look at the communities. I have seen them as low as 50,000.
You misunderstand the trends.

The REASON "prices are getting much better" is because of lowered demand.

Terrible, terrible reason to buy property, otherwise buy in Detroit because property prices there are also going down...

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Those also come with a loaded shotgun.

For some reason I was advised to rent when I moved here 6 years ago. Bad advice. I'm so glad I bought!
In a couple of years the complete purchase price will be repaid from rent saved.
People were saying such things - can you afford to loose half your money etc. etc.
Yes now in the DR condos start at $30k. But the cheapest is not always the best. It used to be 15K.

For sure cement, labor, wood etc. will rise in price.

Good luck with the purchase!

Punta Cana is becoming the international hub of the Caribbean!

My previous post was deleted - perhaps for mentioning other sites - sorry - I'm a newbie!

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
You misunderstand the trends.

The REASON "prices are getting much better" is because of lowered demand.

Terrible, terrible reason to buy property, otherwise buy in Detroit because property prices there are also going down...

No: there is a saying 'buy on the dips' - many foreign investors are buying property in the US at the moment.

There is a new bill being presented to make it more attractive.

Many people who bought in London UK last year on the dip are looking at 30% profit in 1 year.

Interest the banks are paying relative to inflation is now negative. DR economy is growing stronger - gold mines opening up - nickel prices up - agricultural produce price up e.g. coffee 50% up! - bananas etc. up - energy investment such as wind farms and HEP are now paying off.

S.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I would suggest to OP since he is not planning to live here fully to rent at least for a couple of times in the coming years to get a feel of which area in Punta Cana suits him/her best. I do not know Punta Cana that well but sure there are enough people with good suggestions here and you are coming over to see for yourself. Good luck!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Shocking! :cheeky:

I want you to make a net cost financial case for buying instead of renting.

Easy -
I paid 42,000 wth charges for one bedroom condo 6 years ago.

Value now 60,000 net of expenses.

Fees for condo 6,000.

Total 12,000

Deposit 42,000 with bank compounded:

2.5%

7,000 dollars.

Balance 5,000 dollars

Rent at 6 years at 300 month average:

$10,800

No removal costs etc.

$1,000

Balance:

$16,800

Nearly $3,000 per year!

If I was living remotely the appartment would rent at similar rent for holiday periods since there seems to be high occupancy.

Electric costs would be the same renting/buying!

S.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Really - come and examine the papers!

Nice swimming pool - 10 minutes the beach 75 foot swimming pool.

Perfectly maintained with securtiy etc.

Last sale was $70,000

pi2
You have to admit that these numbers, if true, are atypical. Rare that over the last 6 years anybody else had a 42% appreciation (42k to 60k) in the value of their property. Even if they were lucky enough to maintain same value, they would have a net loss.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Easy -
I paid 42,000 wth charges for one bedroom condo 6 years ago.

Value now 60,000 net of expenses.

Fees for condo 6,000.

Total 12,000

Deposit 42,000 with bank compounded:

2.5%

7,000 dollars.

Balance 5,000 dollars

Rent at 6 years at 300 month average:

$10,800

No removal costs etc.

$1,000

Balance:

$16,800

Nearly $3,000 per year!

If I was living remotely the appartment would rent at similar rent for holiday periods since there seems to be high occupancy.

Electric costs would be the same renting/buying!

S.
I guess financial analysis isn't your thing.

In simplistic terms:

I start with $42,000 in the bank @ 2.5%. In 6 years I have $49,000.

I pay rent to someone @ $300 a month, or $21,600 over 6 years.

I have $27,400 while YOU have $16,800...AND I have a.) ~zero~ hassles and b.) I'm not tied to some property trying to keep it rented and c.) I can walk away anytime I want.

One just cannot buy in the DR cheaper than renting 90% of the time.

On an investment property a 10% cap rate would be considered VERY low. Therefore a $40,000 property should generate about $330 PER MONTH at 100% occupancy. You're getting $150 a month, so your cap rate is 4.5%. You're getting hosed but don't know it...

Now if you're a person who has a need to "own," that's another story. But a financial case to own vs. rent is very, very difficult to demonstrate.