Parking Change At POP

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Since a week, the parking in the parking lot of the airport of Puerto Plata has changed. Previously you had to buy a parking ticket at the entrance of the airport and you stay in the parking lot all day. From now on you get a ticket at the entrance and pay for the time you stayed at the airport on leaving. So now you pay when leaving the car park as in the USA and Europe is common. Make sure that you do not lose your parking ticket because you pay a big fine.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Did it last week when I dropped my wife off. No problem EXCEPT that it now takes 4 workers to make it work and having to explain the new procedure to everyone and that takes a few minutes for some to understand.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It also means that you can't go away for a few days and park your car there for 10 Pesos or less anymore.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I was at POP today to pick up my wife. As I entered, the car in front of me sat for almost 4 minutes and could not figure out what to do. The EIGHT people around the area ignored him and a couple even passed between him and the ticket dispenser; perhaps someone said something and after a half minute more he "pushed dah button" and the gate opened.

As I drove up I noticed that all the instructions are in English. DAH?

Drive in, wife waiting, load up to exit. Over a dozen cars in front of me. EIGHT people standing around but not helping anyone so each car stops at the window.... a meter or so away from the window so the inside attendant leans out to the point of almost falling out of the window. The window is set back aways from the curb and no one can judge the distance so better to stay farther out. Give the attendant the entry ticket and wait for it to be scanned and then tell the person what to pay.

In the past with the old entry I noticed that very few ever have money ready and so you wait for them to dig out 35 pesos from where ever they have hidden all their money.

Now it seems that they need a bank loan to pay the exit fee and you can hear some of the yelling. I guess the armed guard that sits there has a reason.

I've driven in, picked up my wife from the curb and go for the exit. I hand the attendent my ticket, at last it's my turn, and 35 pesos. I'm told to wait while the ticket is scanned ..... ..... ..... and told that it is 35 pesos. OH... I can exit now and the gate opens.

This reminds me of an old fold song; "Charlie on the MTA".... or maybe "Hotel California?"

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Oh. Another thought. I can not wait until everyone figures out that you can go round and round missing the gate. You don't have to park you can just keep driving... very slowly looking for your pick-up. That should make for some good driving conditions and fun. Of coarse, once they have been spotted the car has to stop in the driving lane, blocking everyone behind you while they greet them and stuff everything and them into the car.

Joking... sort of.

Sorry. I didn't ask about the long term parking rates. It was turn to leave and I did so.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
yeah now they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to collect the same amount of money, it takes 3 extra employees to operate, and it causes a traffic jam on the way out. Brilliant!