Construction Companies in the DR

Dillinjah519

Oct 4, 2011
Does anyone know the names of any foreign construction companies that are working in the DR building huge projects such as tourist resorts? I am a Canadian that is moving to the DR next year, and would like any advice I can get on how I can get in contact with anyone that could steer me in the right direction for getting a job doing Sheet-Metal/HVAC/Ductwork Systems at any new and upcoming resorts or construction projects as I am a fully liscenced, hardworking, sheet-metal mechanic that has 8 years of experience in the trade.

Thank you for your time.

Feb 7, 2007
I know of one, doing several highway construction projects, Brazilian Odebrecht.

Edited: You will have hard time finding any job online or from Canada, you must be on the grounds to talk to people. Also beware that your biggest competition will be unskilled Haitians. Most construction companies think that unskilled Haitians can get any construction work done if shown how.

Also, do not expect Canadian wages and social security. Maybe they will pay you a bit more they would pay a Dominican worker, because of your expertise. But construction wages are in general quite low, do not expect miracles.

Your best bet would be to open up your own consulting/contracting company, network, make clients, etc. Your first few years would be difficult and you should bring funds to survive at least 1 to 2 years without any income. As word spreads out about your skills, you may be lining up more job orders. Again, if you work for wages, you will be in hellhole. Your only way to make a reasonable living in the DR is to do it on your own.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Odebrecht deals mostly with infrastructure projects but that being said they supposedly in the preliminary design phase of the most expensive and exclusives resort here in the DR in Miches of all places. I believe C. Slim is the developer. I know this because they had asked me to prepare a team of architects with experience in resorts and present a proposal to review the construction plans that were to be prepared by firms in NY and France.

To the OP, you will have a lot of competition and the market for resorts is stifled now. You may find work in SD for a major ac subcontractor but your wages will be probably around 1/6th to 1/10th of what you made in Canada, with the higher number if you worked in a union. If you really know your stuff and can speak passable Spanish maybe they would give you RD40k a month to manage projects.